Bios says my overclock is 3.7ghz but cpu z is reading a x15 even while stress test is on?

Associate
Hi iv overclocked before , but I changed the multiplier to 37 3.7ghz on a Ryzen 1600, but I’m running a stress test and cpu z is showing the multiplier at x15? Think it’s to do with the power states and cool and quiet and all that business but I’ve forgotten which ones you turn on or off to keep it running at the 3.7ghz clock I set all the time, many thanks in advance

Soldato
Fixed overclocks are defo not out of date, I run a Ryzen 2700x 24/7 at 4.2ghz (currently hitting for 4.25ghz) it's how everyone overclocks now that FSB has gone and if they can squeeze a tiny bit more out of parts then they use BLK, however BLK affects everything, so overclocks hard drives, PCI-E buses etc too, it's not locked to ram and cpu only which is why if you intend to use it, Goto a max of 103/104 BLK.

You need to disable core performance boost, XFR / PBO, if available in the bios, AMD cool and quiet, c-states and if you have no intentions of using more than one OS ie Windows 10 only, then you may as well disable Svm mode, might be down in your bios as virtualization technology.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Fixed overclocks are defo not out of date, I run a Ryzen 2700x 24/7 at 4.2ghz (currently hitting for 4.25ghz) it's how everyone overclocks now that FSB has gone and if they can squeeze a tiny bit more out of parts then they use BLK, however BLK affects everything, so overclocks hard drives, PCI-E buses etc too, it's not locked to ram and cpu only which is why if you intend to use it, Goto a max of 103/104 BLK.

You need to disable core performance boost, XFR / PBO, if available in the bios, AMD cool and quiet, c-states and if you have no intentions of using more than one OS ie Windows 10 only, then you may as well disable Svm mode, might be down in your bios as virtualization technology.
Thank you :) just logged in to say I fixed the cpu z speed misread by flashing my BIOS to the latest! , currently started a Prime95 for 3.9ghz ( don’t worry I slowly went up from 3.7ghz ) , thank you again for your reply! Not sure how I mark this as solved tho

Associate

But... my 2700x will run at 4.5Ghz with the Asus core performance boost turned up. It won't hold that under load of course due to heat etc. But when the CPU is fairly idle it will clock up that high.

Too many people consider benchmarks and stress tests but completely fail to understand how real world load works. It's extremely highlighted by "Intel has faster single core performance and I don't do much "productivity" work" claims. Yet they completely fail to see how much of a concurrent environment a standard desktop environment is. The more free and especially idle cores you have the faster your desktop experience will be, whether your benchmarks are poorer or not.

The fact that my favourite cores can sit at 4.5Ghz means that when a process, like part of opening a new chrome window hits it, it will get executed faster than you 4.25Ghz fixed overclock. Of course I can't run a fixed 4.5Ghz or it will crash. But the AMD auto clocking will clock the CPU down to prevent it from crashing should any core come under significant load.

I would suggest you try it and see, by turning up the Asus core performance boost instead of the hard fixed overclocking.

Soldato
But... my 2700x will run at 4.5Ghz with the Asus core performance boost turned up. It won't hold that under load of course due to heat etc. But when the CPU is fairly idle it will clock up that high.

Too many people consider benchmarks and stress tests but completely fail to understand how real world load works. It's extremely highlighted by "Intel has faster single core performance and I don't do much "productivity" work" claims. Yet they completely fail to see how much of a concurrent environment a standard desktop environment is. The more free and especially idle cores you have the faster your desktop experience will be, whether your benchmarks are poorer or not.

The fact that my favourite cores can sit at 4.5Ghz means that when a process, like part of opening a new chrome window hits it, it will get executed faster than you 4.25Ghz fixed overclock. Of course I can't run a fixed 4.5Ghz or it will crash. But the AMD auto clocking will clock the CPU down to prevent it from crashing should any core come under significant load.

I would suggest you try it and see, by turning up the Asus core performance boost instead of the hard fixed overclocking.

I tried it already, I was boosting to 4.45ghz on my 2700x but it spiking to 1.49v too and sitting there the whole time it was boosting, I also tried the adjusting the bclk method, of raising to 104, windows wouldn't boot or anything over 100.6, tried syncros mode and the other one, still the same problem, the massive voltage spikes is why I opted for a 24/7 overclock in the end, got rid of the Asus board and brought an MSI x470 gaming m7 ac in the end, I should have stuck with MSI all along, 4.2ghz all core overclock at 1.36v, 68oC is the highest temp I've seen in every stress test I've run on it, way better than the Asus and gigabyte board performed with the same components, may see if I can push it further this weekend, but happy with 4.2ghz.

Associate
It depends on the motherboard
Xfr will take my 2700x to 4.15Ghz spikes to 4.25Ghz
or 3.95Ghz on all cores
Manual 4.2Ghz stable
I overclock with Aggressive LLC
4.3 will run a benchmark or 2 and crash temp over 70

Back
Top Bottom