Bitrates for MP3's?

Associate
Hmmm, I'm using EAC and pointing it to the LAME.exe file, but all I get after each track is extracted is a quick command line coming up which is too fast to read and all the files come out as WAVs :(

Soldato
Whether it makes a difference to fidelity is a subjective opinion. VBR always slows down encoding. The idea is to retain the highest amount of fidelity for the lowest cost to disk space.

VBR or non-VBR won't make a difference at 320kbps. It's a simple matter of maths, not opinion. :)

320kbps is the maximum bitrate for an mp3. You can never have a bitrate higher than 320kbps, even with VBR. With a 320kbps VBR encoding, the entire track will encoded at 320kbps because any reduction in bitrate for even a small part of the track will result in a VBR of less than 320kbps. The file size and quality will be identical to a non-VBR econded track.

The only difference could be any extra averaging calculations performed when using VBR, though I'm sure most encoders will skip these calculations when 320kbps is selected as the bitrate.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've currently got two collections of music..

One set was encoded at 192kbps and the other using Apple Lossless.

Mainly because I'm streaming the lossless wirelessly to the hi fi, and using the 192 stuff for casual listening / work outs :)

Soldato
james.miller said:
but were talking about mp3 bitrates and what the best ripper/encoder setup is, not what software you use to play it:confused:
Never ever touched iTunes then? ;)
iTunes can rip to a few formats that other encoders/rippers cant.

Soldato
what does that have to do with anything:confused:

best ripper + best encoder = EAC + LAME. sod codec support or fancy menus when playing your music, there is nothing better than EAC and lame. Unless you like using lossless which EAC does support.

EAC - best ripper.period.

Caporegime
Most of my songs are 128kbps cbr and sound great on hifi, I guess it just depends on the quality of your setup.

Does anyone know of an ripper that encodes to ogg?

Soldato
Energize said:
Most of my songs are 128kbps cbr and sound great on hifi, I guess it just depends on the quality of your setup.

I can tell the difference between 128kbps and 320kbps on even the crappiest of speakers and it sounds even worse on decent speakers. It all comes down to your ears, personally i find it hard to listen to low quality mp3s. Maybe i'm just fussy.

Another vote here for EAC and Lame, i always encode at 320kbps. It's the highest quality and when storage space is so cheap why choose anything else?

Associate
Energize said:

Does anyone know of an ripper that encodes to ogg?

I'm using Easy CD-DA Extractor that encodes to a number of formats including Ogg (as well as transcoding). It's about $25-30 though, can be paid with Paypal as well.

I'm sure there's a few freeware apps out there though.

It's actually $34.95.

Last edited:
Soldato
BoomAM said:
Observe:

Talking about other rippers & encoders.
itunes is not a serious ripper. I wouldnt recommend that anymore than i would winamp.

In. Your. Opinion. ;)

An opinon based in fact and shared by many others, BoomAM. look it up.

puppy, in EAC navigate compression options menu >> 'external compression' tab . Where it says 'aditional command line options' copy this in:

-V 2 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

try that:)

Last edited:
Associate
Well

Wow is all I can say - 320kbps with VBR - file sizes the same as 192kbps but with all that extra quality - superb. It doesn't encode quickly but it's top notch reproduction :eek:

Thumbs for EAC with the LAME external decoder :)

Back
Top Bottom