BlackMesa Source: A TRUE Half Life Source with COMPLETELY New Textures

Soldato
DaveyD said:
Well... I'd guess it'll take as long, if not longer than it takes to complete the standard Half-Life 1... as you're going to be admiring the graphics and level design of each level and say "ooooh, that's different" or "I don't like how they've done that bit" or "wow, that's made it even better".

From the level design pictures I've looked at, it's going to follow the same route regarding level layouts etc, but the levels are going to be slightly re-jigged, probably like they've done with some of the Counter-Strike: Source remake maps, to make it more a believable environment.

Aye, also it will be a bit of, omgwtf this game owns! (hopefully). I've been watching this game for a while now. And it seems to be moving nicely. I loved the original. Assuming it will be the same for BM:S (amazing)

Yeh, i've looked at a couple of screenies where i remember from the original, such as that flooded room with the electrical wire hanging in the water and you have to turn the lights off to pass through (i think?) i cant really remember to be honest its been that long since ive played it lol :p

Man of Honour
Personally I think it'll only be 'fantastic' for people who haven't played the original. Those who have seen all the halflife story and levels before won't get many suprises and a graphical overhaul won't suddenly create a whole new gameplay experience. Given the choice between a good, old game with nice graphics and a good, new game with nice graphics, I'd go for the latter.

Permabanned
I think I might give HL: Source ago. I'd like to see Half-Life enhanced, albeit slightly.

BlackMesa looks jaw-dropping. But, IIRC, I saw it just before HL2 was released. Or maybe shortly after. Saying that, they've done a lot of work since last saw their website.

I have played HL1 before - I could probably play it backwards, and with my eyes shut, TBH. ;):o

Edit: Oops! Wrong thread! :o

Soldato
XPE said:
i didnt bad mouth them for being successful, i bad mouth them for selling on what used to be free user made mods. And i sure the people involed with these mod could have got a job any where in the industy not just valve
Except that in both cases (DoD and CS), even though they released them as full products, you weren't forced to update and buy that version to play the game, you can continue to play them with the CD-key from your copy of Half-Life 1 from years ago, even now. And the people who made both mods get to carry on working with the game they know well and are used to using, rather than being shunted onto Random Project X by whoever else they could have joined. Yes they could have gotten jobs all over the place in the industry, but decent work with some degree of cretive control and seniority? I very much doubt it.

How is that an unfair business practice in the sightest?

Soldato
OP
Holy Thread Revival Indeed :)

More of an heads up really just so you guys dont forget.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/chapter_inbound.html

Theres something to wet your whistle in the meantime.

I have been following this since late 2004... I soo want to play HL1 again... but have been delaying it untill this is released.

http://mods.moddb.com/4384/black-mesa/

Still reports 50% completed :(

Hopefully more speedier progress to be made towards the end of this year :)

Last edited:
Soldato
water_53521.jpg

Soldato
OP
No ETA as yet.

Has been at a stage of 50% completion for about 6 months now.

Has been in development since late 2004.

I dont mind the wait, should be the dogs danglies.

Could potentially be the "GOTY" when its released.

Man of Honour
^I wouldn't hold your breath as far as a fully completed (i.e. all levels) release goes. In my experience VERY few large scale public/user regen projects like this get seen all the way through. Usually what happens is there's a lot of hype, a team is put together, some people don't do the work they said they were gonna do, people get other commitments, other interests etc. Then after a few years the 'leader' or driving force behind said project will quit.

Same thing applies to the Deus Ex regen project, that's been going a few years now too and while there have been a few beta versions it still isn't anywhere near remotely finished.

Soldato
As mentioned, I'd be suprised if this gets "completed" any time soon. They're not getting paid, they probably have other commitments so the team will chop and change no doubt. But such is the hype/quality of the conversion, it'll keep on getting pushed along by someone.

I should hope its way more than 50% done, I remember reading about this over 2 years ago so if its another 2 years down the line...ouch.

Looks great though...looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom