BlB. is this acceptable

Associate
Hi all, I have been given an rma number for my monitor (Acer xb271hu) and its getting collected on Friday.
I'm in two minds weather to cancel as I'm not sure if I'm being a bit fussy with the backlight bleed. by looking at the pictures what is everyone's opinion on shall I keep it or send it back. many thanks in advance

The images do not exaggerate it, if anything they make it look a little bit better

Last edited:
Soldato
Really a joke how bad BLB is. This is my TN panel 24" a few years old. The photo looks worse than it really is. It's pretty even 100% all over, just usual LCD not full deep black like it's switched off lol

IMG_20170125_215350.jpg

Soldato
That's more like clouding than backlight bleed. Backlight bleed comes from the edges/corners, yours is all over the place. Personally I'd send it back.

Associate
Return it, black uniformity is horrendous.

It may look good when viewing lighter content, but play a game which has a dark setting or watch something that has night/dark scenes and you'll have a hard time trying to discern details.

The more people who return crap like that the more likely they'll start to up their QC.

Associate
that is more like ips glow I had the asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync with almost the same looking but a little worse in each corner and I tried another one which was about what u have there and thought nah this is not good so I sent back and swapped it for the Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz and now I have no ips glow due to it not being ips and my blacks now look black and its still sitting on my desk almost a year later and I think it is so much better than an ips panel and the colours are great. I don't understand how people go on about ips panels for colour being better when they cant even make black look black and when I'm looking for TV's and you see TV's that cant do good blacks then this makes the rest of the picture in darker scenes look washed out so until ips panels get better at blacks and no ips glow I'm staying away from them.

Soldato
that is more like ips glow I had the asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync with almost the same looking but a little worse in each corner and I tried another one which was about what u have there and thought nah this is not good so I sent back and swapped it for the Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz and now I have no ips glow due to it not being ips and my blacks now look black and its still sitting on my desk almost a year later and I think it is so much better than an ips panel and the colours are great. I don't understand how people go on about ips panels for colour being better when they cant even make black look black and when I'm looking for TV's and you see TV's that cant do good blacks then this makes the rest of the picture in darker scenes look washed out so until ips panels get better at blacks and no ips glow I'm staying away from them.

http://www.wpclipart.com/computer/keyboard_keys/computer_key_Greater_than_Period.png

Soldato
Sort of swayed me from IPS. They may have more accurate colours and wider viewing angles, but googling IPS glow is not giving me any confididence.

I guess you won't notice it in a bright room, with bright graphics, but playing something like Alien Isolation, Fear, Dear Space....it'll look awful.

Associate
OP
It's not ips Glow, I've had two dell ips monitors. The last being the Dell u2715h and it had ips glow but nothing like this yellow rubbish.
I though maybe I could live with it but i have sent it back as i plugged in my dell again and though that's what It should look like.

Soldato
Sort of swayed me from IPS. They may have more accurate colours and wider viewing angles, but googling IPS glow is not giving me any confididence.

I guess you won't notice it in a bright room, with bright graphics, but playing something like Alien Isolation, Fear, Dear Space....it'll look awful.

IPS glow is what you get when looking at the monitors from an off-centre angle - it usually manifests as a shift in black levels. It's dynamic based on where you're viewing from. Backlight bleed is static and is always there, including when looking dead-on at the monitor like in OP's photo.

In short, what the OP's photo shows is not IPS glow.

Associate
either way that yellowish colour you are seeing is what I had on my asus ips panel and it looks crap. you don't see it on TN panels or at least not the ones ive seen. for playing games the asus ips one I had for £700 was not as good on colours as my Samsung or my Dell I have now and both are TN panels and less back light bleed or ips glow however you wanna call it and blacks look black and colours in dark areas of a game don't look washed out. stay away from ips if I was you.

Man of Honour
If that is with any sensible brightness level like upto 75% or something then that is terrible but sadly monitor manufacturers seem to think it is acceptable these days :( if its at like 100% then I'd be on the fence but that still isn't really acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom