Blind runners

Soldato
Anyone see that 100m event the other night where the blind and partially blind female sprinters had their own guide runners attached to them? The guide runners were all male I think and only one athlete had no guide at all. One of the females was a brit, can't remember her name. Makes sense to have a guide of course, but kind of bizarre too. Is there a chance that the guide runners can influence a win by pulling their athlete along, particularly since a male guide would presumably be stronger?

Soldato
No they can't 'pull them along', they have to sychronise with each other so they are running the opposite stride pattern (as the runner's left arms comes up, the guide's right will be coming up) so the guide (who being sighted and male will obviously be quicker) has to run at the same speed as they runner else they'd fall over. The guide also has to pull back on the line so the athlete crosses first.

What is a bit unfair though is when the totally blind runners with guide have to go up against the partial sighted ones without. It's like putting up a 100m metre runner up against a couple from a three legged race; obviously the single person who hasn't got to worry about schronising their action with a partner has a massive advantage.

Soldato
What is a bit unfair though is when the totally blind runners with guide have to go up against the partial sighted ones without.

Guide is optional for partially sited, so it’s far from unfair. :)

Edit: Should probably add T11 (blind) do not run against T12 or T13's (Guide optional) far as im aware, going from what i saw in stadium during Saturday.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think T13 runners aren't allowed a guide, it's T12 who have a choice and T11 who all run with a guide.

The guides are supposedly only there to help, well guide them, to keep them in the lines and call when they come up the line... They also have to make sure that the runner crosses first otherwise they get DQ'd.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guide is optional for partially sited, so it’s far from unfair. :)

Edit: Should probably add T11 (blind) do not run against T12 or T13's (Guide optional) far as im aware, going from what i saw in stadium during Saturday.

Eh, how do you work that out? Having a guide is a disadvantage (if you can see enough to get yourself round the course) so it being optional doesn't make it fair.

Not sure you've understood my argument. Running without a guide is always going to be faster than running with one due to the fact you have to concentrate on sychronising your running stride with a guide. Obviously if you are completely blind then you have no option but to have a guide but if you are then put up against someone who is partially sighted enough to get themselves around the track without a guide then you are at a disadvantage (IMO).

Soldato
If guide runs beyond athletes limits there’s always going to be major mishap, and this was pretty well demonstrated tonight in one 400m final. So I don’t see how guides can tow along athletes to influence finishing position without dropping leg sync and stacking it. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom