1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocking ads with the hosts file on xp?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Radiation, 17 Jun 2006.

1. Radiation

Mobster

Im having trouble getting this to work, i did this years ago and it worked fine but since then i was using my router to do it and i've recently got a new one which can't do it so i've tried to go back to the hosts file but it won't work for some reason, this should be a pretty straight forward thing to do so whats up?

I've cleared caches and done nbstat -R but still nothing even after a reboot.

2. Radiation

Mobster

Hmm it seems like it might be blocking some stuff but say im trying to block doubleclick.com why then would abc.doubleclick.com get through if thats the case?

I thought the hosts file blocked the whole domain which is what i want and expected but its looking like thats not what its doing, anyone know?

Thanks.

3. oddjob62

Sgarrista

No. abc.doubleclick.com will not be included if you add a hosts entry for doubleclick.com. You will have to add it seperately.

4. Radiation

Mobster

Thought as much, thats quite annoying as they can just add as many as they like, my router sorted it by domain and that was enough, what do you think i should do?