Blocking ads with the hosts file on xp?

Soldato
Im having trouble getting this to work, i did this years ago and it worked fine but since then i was using my router to do it and i've recently got a new one which can't do it so i've tried to go back to the hosts file but it won't work for some reason, this should be a pretty straight forward thing to do so whats up?

I've cleared caches and done nbstat -R but still nothing even after a reboot.

Soldato
OP
Hmm it seems like it might be blocking some stuff but say im trying to block doubleclick.com why then would abc.doubleclick.com get through if thats the case?

I thought the hosts file blocked the whole domain which is what i want and expected but its looking like thats not what its doing, anyone know?

Thanks.

Soldato
Radiation said:
Hmm it seems like it might be blocking some stuff but say im trying to block doubleclick.com why then would abc.doubleclick.com get through if thats the case?

I thought the hosts file blocked the whole domain which is what i want and expected but its looking like thats not what its doing, anyone know?

Thanks.

No. abc.doubleclick.com will not be included if you add a hosts entry for doubleclick.com. You will have to add it seperately.

Soldato
OP
Thought as much, thats quite annoying as they can just add as many as they like, my router sorted it by domain and that was enough, what do you think i should do?

Back
Top Bottom