Blogging software

Dru

Dru

Associate
Helium_Junkie said:
Is it possible to create a free blog on another server somewhere and still reap the benefit on my business website?

It's possible to setup your blog elsewhere but I doubt you would see the same benefits since it won't integrate into your site so well (different address from your main site and that sort of thing).

Personally I like the Symphony publishing system, but it's not free so it might not be what you're looking for.

Soldato
robmiller said:
What exactly are you expecting to achieve, out of interest?

okay, the website is www.creative-cakecraft.co.uk - the business makes cakes ;) Weddings and all celebrations. but it never features on search engines.
So we want to make it come up on search engines with terms like "wedding cake" or "cakes south east" etc etc.
The person who hosts our site suggested a blog to increase these search site rankings and is charging ~£600 to install/configure it. I don't know if this includes any content creation, but I doubt it.

Man of Honour
I'd ask them to setup a MySQL database so you can install the software yourself (you only need FTP to upload the files), or you're moving hosts. But this blunt advice totally depends on whether you just use them for hosting or if you have some sort of managed services agreement. For example, I don't let our hosted design clients anywhere near their hosting account by default (though of course if they ask, I do).

But honestly if you know a little PHP/HTML I recommend you try it yourself first :)

Man of Honour
Spend £600 on hiring a decent search engine optimisation company instead - that page doesn't look too optimised to me :)

It's a very competitive market and that site is quite small, so you'd do best to focus on your specialities and optimise for them - failing that, forget search engine rankings and advertise :)

Soldato
£600 for setting up a blog? That's daylight robbery! Wordpress is an excellent piece of coding, pretty intuitive and simple to set up yourself.

Back
Top Bottom