BMW 320D M Sport ride

Associate
Hello,

I'm currently working in Saudi Arabia and will be repatriating back to the UK in June. I'm looking at buying a BMW 320D M sport touring (latest model) as a family friendly car. I may end up getting someone to buy it for me before I actually get back so I have a car from day one.

My only concern would be the M Sport suspension with run flats. How firm actually is the ride with this configuration? Most of my driving will be to and from work during the week with longer (up to 2-3hrs) drives a few times a month to visit family and friends.

Just wanted to get some owners thoughts.

Thanks

Soldato
Runflats are much better than they used to be, but I personally find the M Sport suspension a bit too stiff for a comfortable daily driver, especially with the miles I cover (close to 30k / year). I'm not sure if you can spec the adaptive suspension on the 3 series, but if you can it's the perfect solution. As comfortable as the SE model's suspension unless you put the car into sport mode, then it's as stiff as the M-Sport suspension.

Associate
OP
Is the adaptive suspension a must for ride comfort or the normal m sport one ok? Will be buying second hand and haven't seen many with adaptive suspension.

Caporegime
Is the adaptive suspension a must for ride comfort or the normal m sport one ok? Will be buying second hand and haven't seen many with adaptive suspension.
Depends on your tolerance for a firmer ride. It won't kill you but it's a pretty subjective area. You'll get people saying it's intolerable and people saying it's fine, and everything in between.

My brother in law has a new 320D Msport and my opinion (and his) is that it's absolutely fine in its default state. Yes it's firmer than an S class but then again, how sensitive are you to it?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
The latest F31 M sport is exceptionally comfy in comfort on RFTs, only driven the 335d so not sure if that has different suspension as it is the higher end model and has xdrive as standard but it was gliding over bumps and was shockingly comfortable :)

Associate
The latest F31 M sport is exceptionally comfy in comfort on RFTs, only driven the 335d so not sure if that has different suspension as it is the higher end model and has xdrive as standard but it was gliding over bumps and was shockingly comfortable :)
Worth noting that the xdrive, even in Msport form, has (softer) SE suspension unless adaptive suspension is specified.

I have a non-xdrive F31 M sport on 19's with RFTs and the ride is absolutely fine - firm but not too hard.

Back
Top Bottom