BMW 330d

Soldato
And here's the old one:

front330d4zy.jpg

330dandtdi1wf.jpg

:D

Soldato
maybe it is, but its a valid point, bmw's are marketed as the 'ultimate driving machine' whereas mercedes are luxobarges for old men, even the AMG's arent that sporty.

Soldato
comparing it to a ferrari is a bit of a pointless exercise really isnt it, just because it has lots of torque does not make it fast, it takes power to make a fast car.

Soldato
O Rly?

Must be another error on Parkers :mad:

F360:

Engine Size: 3586 cc
Cylinders: 8
0-60 mph: 4.5 s
Power Output: 400 bhp
Valves: 40
Torque: 373 Nm
Torque: 275 lb/ft
Top Speed: 183 mph

330d (e46):

Engine Size: 2993 cc
Cylinders: 6
0-60 mph: 7.0 s
Power Output: 204 bhp
Valves: 24
Torque: 410 Nm
Torque: 302 lb/ft
Top Speed: 150 mph

Associate
Fett said:
bm.jpg

bm1.jpg

bm2.jpg

(repost of my old post when I just got it home)

330d Sport -The bits I love...

Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
Park Distance Control
Shortened gearshift
M leather steering wheel
Sports seats
Heated exterior mirrors and windscreen washer jets
High-gloss Shadow Line
M Aerodynamic bodystyling
18" light-alloy wheels M star spoke 193
Cruise Control with brake function
M Sports suspension
Manual gearbox - Six-speed
Interior and exterior mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle function
Hi-Fi 10 loudspeaker system
Dakota leather
Bi-xenon lights for low-beam and high-beam headlights
Hill Start Assist

231 bhp
369 lb/ft (500Nm)
Top speed (mph) 155
Acceleration 0-62 mph (sec) 6.7
Combined (mpg) 43.5

Not exactly a rocketship up to 62, but once rolling, there is plenty of grunt.

50-75 mph in 4th is 5.0 seconds flat.

The 330i Sport does it in 6.6
The 540i Sport does it in 6.3
The M3 in 5.3 etc etc.

that car is absolutely gorgeous :)

god i love BMW's i have a 535d sport
i can post some pics if ppl like? ;)

Soldato
While we're on the subject, no offence but that silver 3 above is so ugly it makes the scooby look like an object of desire, which it clearly isnt.

Soldato
The new 330d is reputed ot be the best all-rounder on the market. Cant really go far wrong with that.

Great advice, I think you find it would do you very well as a daily driver. :)

I have a 330d Sport (since Saturday anyway!), but its an e46.

Soldato
Yeah, I adore my e46 330d Sport too. Good fuel economy, fantastic on the motorway, fantastic in the corners and fantastic at traffic light GP :p

The handling is superb - I love it how when you accerate or brake the car doesn't rise or dip at the front, but instead the whole car rises or dips. It just feels so refined. Body roll just doesn't happen in corners.

Grip too is pretty spectactular too - even in these crappy weather conditions.

You know you're driving something special - I just love it :D

Soldato
Beepcake said:
I never said anything about BMW being the ultimate driving machine did I? Please take your teddies and place them securely back in the pram.

Mercs aren't big on driver feedback, even the AMGs, they are designed to be more 'closeting' as that's what most Merc drivers want. That's not an insult, it's just how they are, as most reviews will confirm. BMWs are a bit more involving (although hardly hardcore) and Audi generally play piggy in the middle.

I was just saying that just because an E class merc feels dead you can't tar all 'german barges' with the same brush; that's just silly.

there are masses of cars out there that make the majority of modern german saloons feel like utter barges.

when you say BMWs are a bit more involving, we are talking about a few %, your average Joe off the street would not notice, but would be suckered in by the ultimate driving machine guff.

BMW do make good cars, i rate them above both Audi and Merc, having had all three, but they are definately not "completely different beasts", unless you beleive the ad men.

as for the 330d, definately a competant car, id have one if thats what i needed.... but a beast, ill need to get the ROFLcopter out for that

Associate
great advice said:
Evo 8 FQ300 daily and an Evo 9 FQ300 for track days :D

Fett thats the model i drove today but i prefer the look of the older ones, someone recently bought a black one on here and it looked the dogs :)

Was it the Sport you drove or the vanilla 330d? Although a slightly harsher ride, the M Sport suspension obviously does make a quite difference and something you may prefer after moving away from an Evo.

And yes, NickXX's car is lovely.

E90 is lovely, and you say that 0-62 in 6.7 seconds is hardly rocket ship. Compared to some (hot hatches), this car would wet all over them, plus I think you loose half a second with the gear change to thrid.

6.7 is hardly to be sniffed at when you think it weighs 1.5 tonne!

Re-mapped, this will see 270bhp and 600NM of torque.....thats a quick car by anyones book regardless of it being a Diesel!

It's all relative I guess. The scoob is a sub 5 second car (give or take a few tenths depending on what figures you want to take as gospel) and has a far more "interesting" delivery...the 330d is much more linear and feels quick, but not quicker.

Who is currently mapping the E90 out of curiosity?

that car is absolutely gorgeous

Cheers :)

While we're on the subject, no offence but that silver 3 above is so ugly it makes the scooby look like an object of desire, which it clearly isnt.

lol.gif
None taken. The day I worry about what somebody thinks on the internet about how ugly my cars are is the day the router goes out the window. It's healthy that we all have opinions, and both the Sti and the E90 are without a doubt marmite cars.

I'd rather provoke some reaction than nothing at all.

As far as the scoob being an "object of desire", don't be daft, that's not it's point. It's a little brutal and in many eyes a hideous thing but it's a pretty capable bit of kit. And...

No offence but I'll take my advice about all things vehicular from people who actually have driving licenses... :D

The new 330d is reputed ot be the best all-rounder on the market. Cant really go far wrong with that.

Great advice, I think you find it would do you very well as a daily driver.

I have a 330d Sport (since Saturday anyway!), but its an e46..

It did win What Car? Car of the Year 2006 and for the reason you stated above. It is not a "beast" and does not excel in any massive way over it's competition but the whole package (minus some interior annoyances I have), is a very capable all-rounder. Enjoy yours.

Soldato
and youve got to love that curious little gurgle as the engine idles. they can sound a little bit like an enormous cat purring (if you close your eyes and use a lot of imagination) :D

Back
Top Bottom