BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
[TW]Fox;30459284 said:
Looks good but I notice even the 520d M Sport is in the stupid 450 quid a year tax band by virtue of its comedy list price when the reality is you'll pay under 40k for one :(

So that's 40 quid a month on top of the lease cost for a start...

I've thought about this issue before when I've had company cars, where the BIK is significantly affected by the list price. Now its relevant for private buyers too. The £LOL list prices that nobody actually pays (especially leasing companies) cause people to pay way more tax.

If BMW reduced their list prices and just applied smaller discounts, they would be more appealing to company car drives and now private buyers. As a result they'd probably sell even more cars.

Soldato
I've thought about this issue before when I've had company cars, where the BIK is significantly affected by the list price. Now its relevant for private buyers too. The £LOL list prices that nobody actually pays (especially leasing companies) cause people to pay way more tax.

If BMW reduced their list prices and just applied smaller discounts, they would be more appealing to company car drives and now private buyers. As a result they'd probably sell even more cars.

Completely agree. I was on a C220D PP AMG Trim as a company car and lying over £1200 p/m all in with BIK for a £41k car at full list price... Now buying a second hand 640D M-Sport (14 plate), it's costing me less than the equivalent of £400 pm...

Soldato

If they did that they may end up having to increase list prices frequently, whereas they can just pull the discount they're offering without affecting the list price. I suspect it's also an attempt to normalise the list prices across regions (on paper at least).

On top of that, there are probably more sales because "they gave me a massive discount" than if the list price was just lower.

Last edited:
Soldato
If they did that they may end up having to increase list prices frequently, whereas they can just pull the discount they're offering without affecting the list price. I suspect it's also an attempt to normalise the list prices across regions (on paper at least).

On top of that, there are probably more sales because "they gave me a massive discount" than if the list price was just lower.

Maybe for 2016. But I can see some adjsutsments made in the Uk based on the new tax stupidity.

There should be the £31 supplement for each £1k over £37k until £47k. Wouldn't be as daft then but generate similar revenue.

Caporegime
Took my 5 Series in with a broken coil spring.

Just been called back, problem list is:

Diff carrier bushes - £650
Both front ball joints have play - £705
Alignment £149
Rear coil springs £582

Apparently not a single item covered by the aftermarket warranty.

This feels like being bent over royally. Anyone advise?

Man of Honour
Aftermarket or BMW insured warranty?

Comprehensive or named component?

The terms of comprehensive specifically include wear and tear for up to 100k miles.

Caporegime
but

[TW]Fox;30467370 said:
Aftermarket or BMW insured warranty?

Comprehensive or named component?

The terms of comprehensive specifically include wear and tear for up to 100k miles.

Fully comp Mondial aftermarket. The policy is clearly worded:

If you have the comprehensive level of cover however, we have included all insured components even if the failure is due to normal degradation (wear and tear) up to 100,000 miles from the date of registration. In addition, if a component has previously been replaced with a BMW genuine part, the same rule will apply, in this case evidence of mileage at fitment will be required.

Pulling a fast one methinks.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Fully comp Mondial aftermarket. The policy is clearly worded:

If you have the comprehensive level of cover however, we have included all insured components even if the failure is due to normal degradation (wear and tear) up to 100,000 miles from the date of registration. In addition, if a component has previously been replaced with a BMW genuine part, the same rule will apply, in this case evidence of mileage at fitment will be required.

Pulling a fast one methinks.

The BMW Insured warranty is also run by Mondial and has the same wording - are you sure this isn't the BMW product? Where did you buy the policy?

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
The alignment won't be covered as it is an "adjustment" (at least they've used that to get out of things with me before), but the rest should be covered.

See my post earlier in this thread about having to argue with BMW. Get back on them and don't let up until it is done to your satisfaction!

Caporegime
So the update from Mondial is because I took the policy out before March 2016 and it's a recurring policy I'm on the old policy which doesn't include the 100k cut off for wear and tear of the new policy.

Therefore any component that fails they can essentially just go "lol wear and tear" and not cover it.

Feeling pretty shafted right now.

Man of Honour
Of course I guess the other side is that you missed the price hike they imposed when they changed the terms and made the policy more generous. Mine monthly on the newer terms was 87 quid a month with 100 quid excess :(

They are wearing parts and the BMW warranty now is rare and unusual in its specific cover for them :(

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;30467640 said:
Of course I guess the other side is that you missed the price hike they imposed when they changed the terms and made the policy more generous. Mine monthly on the newer terms was 87 quid a month with 100 quid excess :(

They are wearing parts and the BMW warranty now is rare and unusual in its specific cover for them :(

I had a price hike in April last year though because of the age of my car. Apparently that doesn't put me on the newer policy though.

"Here's a price hike because your car is older, but because it's older we won't actually cover anything".

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Actually they cover most things, it's not like some warranties where 'engine dead at 90k? Wear and tear mate'. It's actual obviously wearing parts like bushes.

Back
Top Bottom