BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
6NR allows you to run a selection of apps in the car from the phone – things like Twitter, the Go Pro App and also the old BMW Connected App which did things like tell you remaining fuel range in the car etc etc. These apps require a cable connection to the car to function.

Connected Drive itself is a subscription service which among other things gives you access to the BMW Remote application for your Smartphone, which allows you to locate the car, lock/unlock the car, send destinations to navigation etc. For a CIC fitted car like Simon’s M3 this is £120 a year (And you get 3 years free for the first subscription, sometimes the first owner doesn’t bother, I got 3 years free on my 2010 530d even though I bought it in 2014) and also includes Realtime Traffic Information on compatible cars. It is this service, and not 6NR, that allows send to car from Google Maps.

You do not need 6NR for Connected Drive. I think 6NR is of limited benefit personally and despite having it in mine I barely use the functionality because I don’t connect my phone with a cable very often.

(BMW Recently combined the Connected and Remote apps together so there is now just one, but the above descriptions on what you can do remain the same).

Bottom line:

Is it worth paying loads of money to retrofit 6NR? Almost certainly not, perhaps if the GoPro stuff interests you maybe.

Is Connected Drive worth £120 a year? Maybe.

Soldato
My 2011 330i (E93) is coming up for its next oil service, it says due March 2017 or in 10,000km... when would you advise to have the service done by date or mileage, or somewhere inbetween?

Soldato
Roger that, I'll get it booked in. I just ask because with rear brakes (checked at last interval) it made no sense to follow the date as there was a load of use left in them - clearly not the same with oil as not measurable (qualitywise) in the same way as brake pads are.

Man of Honour
Roger that, I'll get it booked in. I just ask because with rear brakes (checked at last interval) it made no sense to follow the date as there was a load of use left in them - clearly not the same with oil as not measurable (qualitywise) in the same way as brake pads are.

There is no date on the brakes just an estimated distance.

Soldato
Lots of text.

Ok, make sense. I'm pretty sure there must be a module / coding required somewhere so that the car know what to do when it receives the headlight flash, ventiliation or lock / unlock command.

For example, my F10 has Connected Drive stamped in big letters into the windscreen around the camera. Or, is this data just relayed over the sim / TCU

Man of Honour
Ok, make sense. I'm pretty sure there must be a module / coding required somewhere so that the car know what to do when it receives the headlight flash, ventiliation or lock / unlock command.

There isn't - though only later Combox fitted cars can do it so I guess there is your answer.

For example, my F10 has Connected Drive stamped in big letters into the windscreen around the camera.

They brand things like Speed Limit Display as 'Connected Drive' too so if you've got the camera for that, thats why. Mine hasn't got that, has no connected drive on the windscreen, but headlight flash etc and the full suite of remote services work fine.

By contrast my sister has an F30 with Speed Limit Display but Business Nav and no Connected Drive and it says 'Connected Drive' on the windscreen :D

Caporegime
Why are premium manufacturers staunchly resisting the trickling down of gas suspension to their exec class cars? I really thought the new 5 would break that mould. Maybe it doesn't matter as maybe the normal suspension is good enough, but I'm slightly surprised it's still not an option.

By the way if you like your super long detailed reviews, I'm a big fan of the Autogefühl YouTube channel.

Man of Honour
This might seem like a daft question but it's something someone at work mentioned today and I only really noticed it once he said it, and now I can't unhear it

With the 530d or any other six cylinder diesel engine that BMW make, why is it that when pulling away from a stand still at a normal pace the engine, while still smoother than any other diesel I've been in, has that diesel sound to it yet when you pull away with a heavy right foot, the engine note sounds totally different. Completely smooth, almost petrol like in terms of no diesel sound at all.

He was saying he heard that the engine is only using 4 cylinders when it needs too hence why in the situation above the sound is different. That sounds like total nonsense to me but now I've noticed it, its bugging me

Back
Top Bottom