BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
This might seem like a daft question but it's something someone at work mentioned today and I only really noticed it once he said it, and now I can't unhear it

With the 530d or any other six cylinder diesel engine that BMW make, why is it that when pulling away from a stand still at a normal pace the engine, while still smoother than any other diesel I've been in, has that diesel sound to it yet when you pull away with a heavy right foot, the engine note sounds totally different. Completely smooth, almost petrol like in terms of no diesel sound at all.

He was saying he heard that the engine is only using 4 cylinders when it needs too hence why in the situation above the sound is different. That sounds like total nonsense to me but now I've noticed it, its bugging me

Engines tend to sound quite different when under a lot of load versus little or no load, that's what you're hearing.

Man of Honour
Anyone who has owned a e46 330d experienced any faults other then swirl flaps/egr?

It's over - the E46 330d is dead and gone. I cannot imagine there is a single one left that isn't a rusty pain in the backside to own and and completely outweighs any MPG advantage you might gain from buying it :p

Soldato
It's over - the E46 330d is dead and gone. I cannot imagine there is a single one left that isn't a rusty pain in the backside to own and and completely outweighs any MPG advantage you might gain from buying it :p

I came across one which seems in good condition for the price but having weighed it out further I agree with your post.

Associate
Think that's a bit harsh on The e46. I drive one that's been nothing but a joy. compared to the newer a3 and saab 93 i had previously it's been an angel. I know the diesel e46 cost a lot more than the petrols but I think that should be the deciding factor not the reliability.

Soldato
You're almost better buying a mega mileage one for pennies and hoping for the best these days I'd say. Though you could easily get lucky/unlucky with any variation, they're getting on

Soldato
I own a 330i e46. I've done all the work on it myself and it's been faultless reliability wise. A while ago someone stated that the e46/e39 just had small niggles here and there. Which is true but nothing which cannot be sorted.

It's just the rust which ruins it.

Soldato
You will also find that when the little things start to occur you'll end up with loads of annoying issues to resolve as so many components get to the same point in their life cycle - but like I said it's just as easy to get lucky, they're just getting old.

Associate
Mine is a 330d. Most of the issues I've had are ones which you could have on any car. The swirl flaps were removed a week after I bought the car so I've never had to be concerned about them. Off the top of my head it's also had:

Two brake calipers
Pair of rear shock absorbers and top mounts due to one shock absorber leaking
Pair of anti-roll bar bushes
Pair of front control arms (didn't need the whole arms with bushes, but why not as you're down there anyway)
Handbrake shoe kit
Guibo on the propshaft

Four of those things I've done at home myself.

Other than that just standard service items. Coming up to 134,000 miles now and still starts, stops and handles fine. Rust is my concern over anything else though, but so far the worst is in the front passenger arch which isn't to bad to sort out.

Soldato
The BMW-warranty.co.uk website says:
The service history of the Insured Vehicle will be required by the repairing Retailer in the event of a claim. The service history should be supported by corresponding VAT invoices from the servicing or repairing Retailer.
So it doesn't appear to need to be BMW but does need to have been serviced by a garage. I recall last time I renewed they told me over the phone that I needed to ensure it was serviced in accordance with the car's service schedule. Tell your friend to call them, they are helpful.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Over the last few months my avg mpg has dropped from 33 to 27 in my 730d and I'm not sure why, had it serviced, had an oil leak fixed, engine seems fine, power seems fine although maybe I haven't noticed a decline.

Front tyres need changing soon and the ac has a leak so constantly hear that high pitched buzz, could either of those be the cause? Any other things to check?

Thanks

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Yeh it's a much bigger drop then I'd expect. Tyre pressures are spot on, I keep on top of both mine and my wifes as one of hers drops quite often.

I did have it in for a brake change and the AC recharge (before I knew there was a leak), and it did bump up the mpg to 31 for a couple days but then dropped again, whether that's at all related to the a/c being charged and then ******* out again or simply a different driving style over those couple of days I don't know.

Associate
It's probably more likely to be down to winter.
Having the engine running whilst you/the car clear/defrost the windows.
Having the heated seat and lights on etc.
Plus no journey will have the same amount of traffic or have you slow down and/or stop at the same number of traffic lights.
Before I went back to petrol (i remember those days well) I could get low 50s.
But fast forward 2 years and i struggled to get high 40s even when really trying.
Probably partly because I was yearning something a bit more fun than chasing mpg. :)

Caporegime
Gents, something that's just struck me. When I open the boot on the 6 series using the cabin button or remote should it fully open? Or just pop up an inch?

My f30 used to fully open but e90 only popped up.

Back
Top Bottom