1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, 12 Apr 2012.

1. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The ZF8HP will not hold on a steep hill and creeps backwards after the hill hold releases. It's not the auto hold function, it's another feature that keeps the brake on for a few seconds after you release the foot brake.

2. Le Clandestin Brun

Sgarrista

The SMG in my M5 could have done with this, although it is no big deal really and shouldn't be a deal breaker.

3. Jez

Caporegime

Never experienced that, cool :) Certainly the older BMW (ZF) boxes used to hold pretty well. Perhaps the drive for efficiency (i guess excessive creep is inefficient) has necessitated this new feature.

4. Stephen B

Wise Guy

M3 DCT is the same, having to get used to using a handbrake again :)

5. Simon

Capodecina

Mine has hill start assist. Maybe a LCI thing?

6. Stephen B

Wise Guy

Mine too, I mean that I don't like holding it on the foot brake

7. Nimzicki

Mobster

Quick opinion please guys, does £12,995 seem like a good price for a 2012 5 door, manual 118i Sport with only 7k miles? Test drove it today but I'm struggling to see if I can get something newer for a similar price. I've always had Japanese cars so any advice is very much appreciated.

8. NooBish AbbZ

Mobster

5 years old, 7000 miles....? Hmm... Can't help with the price but would be interested to know more about the mileage. Literally used to go around the corner and back to buy a paper..?

9. Nimzicki

Mobster

I thought the same, it was an elderly couple that bizarrely traded it in for a BRZ.

10. Django x2

Capodecina

So my E60 LCi 530d had the hold function (no special button to press or anything), just release foot from brake and you had circa 3 seconds I think before it would let go and start to roll back. The M5 kind of has it too, but not as great and actually tends to pull you up the hill rather than hold or release back down. I guess that's down to the immense supercar beating BHP and Torque :D

11. panthro

Capodecina

My 57 plate E92 M3 (manual) had it. I thought it was standard spec? My E89 35i DCT also had it as standard spec.

12. grudas

Capodecina

Yup even my E86 has hill hold! I'd be surprised if newer cars didn't unless it was something expensive to add due to some gearbox gimmick? I honestly have no idea why it would be standard on newer cars.

13. Invertigo

Wise Guy

Well, I'll have my Z4 by the end of my week long easter holiday it seems! Getting very itchy feet now, want to get to enjoying a proper car!

14. Dis86

Caporegime

We need photos!

15. soundb0y

Mobster

Nice, 85, 86 or 89?

16. Invertigo

Wise Guy

E85, 3.0i '04 with all the M-Sport kit (minus the wheel)

Going to be a lot more fun than a DS3, I think!

17. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

There was no M Sport or Sport model of the original prefacelift Z4 and there isn't an M Sport kit for any E85.

The alternative was the dealer fit Aero kit.

18. Invertigo

Wise Guy

Apologies, didn't even realise the body kit was an option

Sports seats and M sport suspension is the correct wording, I believe? I'm not sure if the standard seats were called sports and the upgraded ones M-Sport, but its the upgraded ones either way with deeper bolsters.

19. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The suspension is standard on the 3.0i, so it's the Sport Seats that are the option - though a very rare one so you've done well to find them.

20. Invertigo

Wise Guy

Aha, yes that does sound familiar.

In terms of options according to the factory list: (well the interesting ones)
    HiFi System Professional DSP
    Xenon Light
    M Sports seats
    Multifunction f steering wheel
    Cruise Control

I did find it quite odd that cruise and multifunction steering wheel were an option on these cars, and a large number seem to be missing them.