BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
They are great engines but are nothing on the V8 in terms of noise and throttle.

I found the s35i a little rev shy. And a lot of complaints about the M4 due to low down traction. However they are no doubt quicker but a little dull compared to wringing out the V8

Last three tanks have done just over 250miles. The fuel economy still annoys me though as it's eye watering if you drive it hard. In contrast the s2000 gave similar (arguably more of an ) experience but with half the fuel consumption.

I'm loving the car but it is missing something. I am hoping an exhaust solves that. It's so quiet inside, however on the flip side the ride comfort and auto mode is what I am really enjoying when I'm chilled out mode. Thing is even when taking it easy it won't get more than 25mpg.

I've done 2500 miles in it as a daily driver so I guess it's not the typical use !

Consider getting the '2 pipe mod' - basically a welder can take out the muffling in two of the 4 pipes, creates much more of a noise. I did this on my M3 and loved it - bit loud on cold start though. 4 pipe mod is insanely loud. You should be able to get this done for about £150-£200.

Soldato
Could be the PCV. That's classic symptoms of it being blocked. A missfire at idle when cold.
It's certainly worth doing the coils though as it's way, way easier to do if it does turn out to be them (the PCV is a complete sod to do due to its location at the back of the engine).

Coils are proving a bitch to find at short notice so I did the plugs only and inspected plus cleaned EVERYTHING. Getting to the back coils and plugs was an absolute nightmare and took ages to figure out the best approach. The coils where I'm pretty damn good condition with no arching marks on them or rust etc. The spark plugs however where a missed bag as 4 of them where dark from a rich fuel mixture whilst the other 4 where absolutely knackered, which explains my 3 cylinder misfire issue. Replaced the entire lot with NGK premium plugs from what were Bosch.

Cleaned out everything around the engine air intake and when we put it all back together and blasted out the cleaner through the exhaust, the error codes went and the car seems fine. Took it on a few spirited drives after it had cooled down and still no codes or issues so far so hoping it's fixed. Not a single sign of an oil leak or vacuum issue and all gaskets in excellent condition. Fingers crossed!

Man of Honour
I drove the M4 last year, really nice to drive, I liked the leather interior and it shifts, more so than the Evo I had at the time. It is hard to gauge after a 25 minute drive but it felt it lacked a little something to me but I couldn't put my finger on it.

On the F10 is lift & coast in Eco Pro mode standard? As mine doesn't do it.

Soldato
Consider getting the '2 pipe mod' - basically a welder can take out the muffling in two of the 4 pipes, creates much more of a noise. I did this on my M3 and loved it - bit loud on cold start though. 4 pipe mod is insanely loud. You should be able to get this done for about £150-£200.

Yeh all over that I think.

I just stumbled across this chap by chance, it appears his work is relevant :p
https://www.youtube.com/user/paul6t96t96t96t9/videos

Man of Honour
I'll most likely change my F10 for a G30 in 3 years or so, I'm hoping there's a greater variety of used petrols by then as I really hope I won't be doing the mileage I am now.

Don
I doubt it. All of the G30 petrol model are in the high-tax bracket for cars over £40k.
I bet most G30s ordered will be 520d M-Sports with no options keeping them just under.

Soldato
I doubt it. All of the G30 petrol model are in the high-tax bracket for cars over £40k.
I bet most G30s ordered will be 520d M-Sports with no options keeping them just under.

This reflects my current dilemma. Both this and the merc e220d amg line have to be specced as base to avoid the higher tax bracket. There are a number of key options on both cars which put it over.

From the dealer conversations, I wouldn't be surprised to see revised versions with some more base spec options included soon, somewhat sooner than a life cycle face lift.

Still can't decide between the 2 but at base spec I think the e220 is better, which is a pain as I wanted the 520d.

Soldato
Both 530e models are well in to £40k so no one will buy them in the UK. Better to buy 520d and save money on both fuel and road tax.
Weird system we have in the UK and Europe isn't it?
I can see the current pricing being changed again, the £40k thing is barmy

Don
It's almost as if no one in government thought to look at the cost of electric and hybrid vehicles before setting the duty rates..........

Quite a lot of enviro cars are being hit by the £40k thing. Off the top of my head:

BMW 530e
BMW X5e
Lexus GS450h
Lexus RX450h
Tesla Model S
Tesla Model X
Merc E350e

It's almost as if government doesn't want people to buy them.

Soldato
It's road tax, a once a year payment. The actually barmy people are the public for using that to justify not buying electric. This is the same as when people chopped in perfectly good cars on the the scrappage scheme because thier road tax was going up. Crazy

Back
Top Bottom