BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
It's still pathetic and annoying that over 4 years say you'll pay an extra £1240 in vehicle excise duty if you add adaptive lights to a 520d.

Annoying enough to put people off.

Soldato
So is there another bracket after £40k? Otherwise, adding one option to get you there and then specing how you like, for the sake of £25 a month still seems like a no brainer to me. It's Tax (well, Duty) and it's like insurance. You have to pay it, and, like insurance, the more valuable the car the more you'll pay. By the same token are we saying that if someone really wanted a car with all their options ticked, and it cost them an extra £25 a month in insurance, would they decide against purchasing it? Probably not.

Man of Honour
Very few people go mad on spec and those that do likely still will. Most people add a couple of bits especially to something like a 520d which by it's nature is a financially motivated choice.

Don
Indeed. I'm a car person but even I would balk at that.
It's going to be interesting with used cars because would you buy the one with an option that takes you over the tax threshold or try to find one without any options? It seems to me that you will be paying for that option several times over.

Soldato
An extra £25 a month..... Annoying but not a reason to use ved as the excuse

To be fair you seem to have unlimited funds these days....

I have a car allowance and on top of everything else it is another cost I wouldn't want to have to cover. I could, but don't want to.

If I chose it as a company car in lieu of CA, I have to fund any options and uplift in tax as a deduction as well.

Soldato
Last edited by a moderator:
Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Consider getting the '2 pipe mod' - basically a welder can take out the muffling in two of the 4 pipes, creates much more of a noise. I did this on my M3 and loved it - bit loud on cold start though. 4 pipe mod is insanely loud. You should be able to get this done for about £150-£200.

Yeh all over that I think.

Whilst the 2 pipe mod does make the car sound amazing, it does drone at motorway speeds. Ignore the cutters lot who tell you "nah it's fine m8", you will notice it and if you do a lot of motorway journeys it will annoy you.

Don't get me wrong, I was on the verge of getting it reversed on my old M3 until I swapped cars with a friend, following my M3 whilst driving his Elise with the roof off made me jizz myself at how good it sounded. I sorely miss that sound :(

Soldato
Quick write up of my use of BMW emergency service over the weekend.

I noticed on Saturday lunchtime that the rear right wheel had a bulge in the sidewall. Gently drove home and called round the local garages for replacement but no one carried stock of anything suitable.

Quick call to BMW emergency services and within 90 minutes my car had been collected on a low loader, and I had replacement vehicle.

The two most local BMW garages to me were closed over the entire weekend due to a merge into a brand new (huge) showroom. This wasn't an issue and my car was taken to the next closest garage in their franchise which is about 45 miles away. They called me first thing this morning with a price for the replacement tyre. Tyre was replaced today, with a full valet and vehicle check.

I've just got home from an evening at the in laws to find the recovery company outside the house with my car. I'd only been on the phone to BMW emergency services 2 hours previously confirming all the works were complete.

Not a bad service for a bank holiday weekend for something as trivial as a dodgy tyre.

Another great reason to extend the warranty - alongside the simply eyewatering level of coverage it has provided Mr Keates with that V10 replacement !

Soldato
For some strange reason I think only the 2015 models onwards do it.

My 2013 coasted when I lifted off, or is that a different thing you are referring to?

Odd, if anything I thought they would have brought it out with the LCI or something like that.

Mine was an LCI.

Indeed. I'm a car person but even I would balk at that.
It's going to be interesting with used cars because would you buy the one with an option that takes you over the tax threshold or try to find one without any options? It seems to me that you will be paying for that option several times over.

I think what will happen is the used market will be flooded with poverty spec 5 series, with the occasional fully loaded example. I suspect even the pre-specced cars from the dealers will be poverty spec, because, as mentioned, who wants to pay an extra £25 a month tax for a couple of wacky options? Fully loaded cars maybe, but not for something like piano black trim and split fold seats.

Soldato

I noticed on Saturday lunchtime that the rear right wheel had a bulge in the sidewall. Gently drove home and called round the local garages for replacement but no one carried stock of anything suitable.

Quick call to BMW emergency services and within 90 minutes my car had been collected on a low loader, and I had replacement vehicle.

The two most local BMW garages to me were closed over the entire weekend due to a merge into a brand new (huge) showroom. This wasn't an issue and my car was taken to the next closest garage in their franchise which is about 45 miles away. They called me first thing this morning with a price for the replacement tyre. Tyre was replaced today, with a full valet and vehicle check.

I've just got home from an evening at the in laws to find the recovery company outside the house with my car. I'd only been on the phone to BMW emergency services 2 hours previously confirming all the works were complete.

Not a bad service for a bank holiday weekend for something as trivial as a dodgy tyre.

Another great reason to extend the warranty - alongside the simply eyewatering level of coverage it has provided Mr Keates with that V10 replacement !

Cheltenham? That's BMW Europes new "Exemplar" Dealership, the largest in Europe apparently

Soldato

Did they charge a premium for the new tyre + fitting?

Man of Honour
My 2013 coasted when I lifted off, or is that a different thing you are referring to?

You've said this before, and I initially thought it was an LCI thing - but you're the only one with a 2013 who has reported it.

My Dad's LCI 520d doesn't do it, DRZ's 2014 535d doesn't do it and neither does ChrisD's 2014 530d. However my 2015 530d does. It's odd, but it seems from that anecdotal evidence that it's the 15 onwards cars that do it.

However you can code it in - did you do that?

Soldato
Cheltenham? That's BMW Europes new "Exemplar" Dealership, the largest in Europe apparently

Yes indeed. I think its supposed to be one of the biggest in the UK, but I didn't think it was the biggest in Europe. I will confirm it is *huge* and hopefully makes buying the next car easier as its just up the road.

Did they charge a premium for the new tyre + fitting?

I've found them to be pretty reasonable with tyres in the past.

So.

If I'd got time to mess around and it was an expected change, I could have obviously got the tyre cheaper - searching out the very cheapest online supplier, and bunging a local apprentice a slab of beer to do it in his lunch break.

Reality is, I paid a little bit more than rock bottom pricing and had zero hassle. I'm happy with what I paid.

They did quote a decent amount more initially, but common sense was quickly applied.

The end to end experience was brilliant. I am very impressed. It is also lovely to be back in the car. I forgot how much I appreciate the engine and gearbox combo.

Soldato
You've said this before, and I initially thought it was an LCI thing - but you're the only one with a 2013 who has reported it.

My Dad's LCI 520d doesn't do it, DRZ's 2014 535d doesn't do it and neither does ChrisD's 2014 530d. However my 2015 530d does. It's odd, but it seems from that anecdotal evidence that it's the 15 onwards cars that do it.

However you can code it in - did you do that?

No, I didn't code it in. I did buy an F-Net cable when I got the car, but I didn't even take it out the envelope as I was too scared I'd mess something up. Still have it somewhere, unused. Coding the BMW didn't look, at least at first glance, as easy as coding with VCDS.

Mine was one of the very first LCI's, so maybe that was it? Or mine was specced with the rare MFD, maybe it was part of that coding? I know mine had it because I drove a lot in Eco Pro mode, and whenever I lifted off, you could see the eco-pro meter go to the left into charging mode, and there was a little indicator that said I was coasting IIRC. Also, if I switched the nav screen to the eco-pro screen, it would tell me there I think. It wasn't the same as coasting in proper neutral in a manual though, there was still a bit of resistance, I assume from charging the "battery" or whatever they use as the left hand of the dial did say charge. Certainly, on the hill coming into my village, I'd be a lot faster at the bottom in neutral in my manuals than I was lifting at the same point in the BMW. But the satnav would even prompt the eco-pro dials to tell me when to lift off to coast for roundabouts and the like.

It was right there in the (in car) manual too telling me what it was doing.

Man of Honour
I know mine had it because I drove a lot in Eco Pro mode, and whenever I lifted off, you could see the eco-pro meter go to the left into charging mode

This isn't eco pro coasting. So that's this mystery solved :p That's just the standard behaviour in eco pro mode.

The coasting mode disengages the gearbox and drops Revs to idle like coasting in a manual. Consequently there is no charging mode whilst it happens.

Back
Top Bottom