BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
An estoril blue 1 series doesn't turn any heads...

I had one in M135i guise and one of the appealing parts of the ownership was how well it blended in with other cars as to not draw too much unwarranted attention (parking out on the street, for example). The blue is lovely but that's about it.

Enjoy your new car!

It's an SE so it can't be Estoril Blue!

Soldato
So I collected my new 67 plate 118d MSport SE from Marshall Hook and the service was exemplary throughout. Took it for an obligatory test drive on the backroads from Andover to Salisbury and onto Bournemouth. Massive smile on mine and the girlfriends face all the way. Can't believe how many heads it turned. For a deisel it pulls like crazy - certainly a lot quicker than the GT86 it replaced! Still finding my way around it but loving it so far!

Shawrey
As the 118d has 150 HP I presume your previous vehicle was a ride-on lawnmower?

Soldato
So I collected my new 67 plate 118d MSport SE from Marshall Hook and the service was exemplary throughout. Took it for an obligatory test drive on the backroads from Andover to Salisbury and onto Bournemouth. Massive smile on mine and the girlfriends face all the way. Can't believe how many heads it turned. For a deisel it pulls like crazy - certainly a lot quicker than the GT86 it replaced! Still finding my way around it but loving it so far!

Shawrey
Are you serious?

Soldato

Shawrey
Turning heads in a 118d SE - do you live on the moon :p
‘Pulling like crazy’ is what diesels are good for - all about the torques :D

Soldato
It's an SE so it can't be Estoril Blue!

I took the liberty of checking his older posts just to make sure that when I said "it won't turn heads", he hadn't ordered it in individual fluorescent lime green :p

Turning heads in a 118d SE - do you live on the moon :p

He probably ordered something that would be a head turner but cancelled it as the lead times were way too long.

Soldato
To be fair, the 118D power delivery and the general 1 series handling does make it feel quicker than it is; plus it isn't that slow if the auto anyway. I have driven a fairly new 118D sport quite a bit and I like them.

It would easily feel quicker than the GT86 but that is down to the feel from the turbo, gearing and real world driving conditions. I know the route @Shawreyboy drove pretty well and it would definitely favour the 118D.

Soldato
Ease off lads, not everyone can afford a 530d. Been in a 118d courtesy car before and it's a nice bit of kit if that's the size of car you're looking for. Same inside as an M140i which people seem to love.

Soldato
Ease off lads, not everyone can afford a 530d. Been in a 118d courtesy car before and it's a nice bit of kit if that's the size of car you're looking for. Same inside as an M140i which people seem to love.
I suspect it’s not the interior that attracts people to the M140i ...

Soldato

If that 118d was brand new then a 530d was well within reach, if it was a year or two old.

Besides, we weren't easing on. The comment about it being substantially quicker than a GT86 and drawing upon considerable attention is what instigated our quips.

Associate
Didn't expect this much burn.... :L feeling quite welcomed - cheers guys!

The GT86 needed to be screaming its head off in 3rd gear to get anywhere. There was no torque in the thing below 4k rpm, so yes the 118d certainly feels quicker in the actual usable rpm ranges and delivers the power far smoother than the GT86 ever could. There's good reason why superchargers are a popular mod for them :rolleyes:.

Also, the GT86 was an awfully uncomfortable drive to the point it became tiresome.. hence my look elsewhere for something more sensible. Not everyone wants to be screaming on the redline to enjoy their drive.:p

Soldato
Didn't expect this much burn.... :L feeling quite welcomed - cheers guys!

The GT86 needed to be screaming its head off in 3rd gear to get anywhere. There was no torque in the thing below 4k rpm, so yes the 118d certainly feels quicker in the actual usable rpm ranges and delivers the power far smoother than the GT86 ever could. There's good reason why superchargers are a popular mod for them :rolleyes:.

Also, the GT86 was an awfully uncomfortable drive to the point it became tiresome.. hence my look elsewhere for something more sensible. Not everyone wants to be screaming on the redline to enjoy their drive.:p

You can't be a fully fledged Motors forum user until you've been flamed. Welcome ;)

I really like the new 1 Series and it drives very well. Never tried the 118d but I'm sure it'll do you well...then you can remap it if you become bored with it :D Any reason you got the 118d over the 120d?

Associate
You can't be a fully fledged Motors forum user until you've been flamed. Welcome ;)

I really like the new 1 Series and it drives very well. Never tried the 118d but I'm sure it'll do you well...then you can remap it if you become bored with it :D Any reason you got the 118d over the 120d?

Thanks for the reassurance Gaygle! ;)

It does! Very smooth indeed. Yes exactly! I think its more or less the same as a 120d if I am not mistaken so should map to the same power! :D. They wanted another 4k ontop!

Just to confirm as well, it is an Estoril Blue MSport Shadow Edition for anyone querying colour or model!

Associate
To be fair, the 118D power delivery and the general 1 series handling does make it feel quicker than it is; plus it isn't that slow if the auto anyway. I have driven a fairly new 118D sport quite a bit and I like them.

It would easily feel quicker than the GT86 but that is down to the feel from the turbo, gearing and real world driving conditions. I know the route @Shawreyboy drove pretty well and it would definitely favour the 118D.

Couldn't put it any better! Atleast someone gets where I am coming from! :p and yes it is the auto. Compared to the GT86 auto it blows it out of the water - you cant even feel the gear change. The GT86 auto is clunky as hell and the manual isn't any better!

Back
Top Bottom