BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Thought it might be about time I posted a few pics of my E46 3 series touring M3 conversion.

Originally a 318i, it has had an engine, drivetrain, suspension and brake conversion to that from a 2001 BMW E46 M3.

It has in the region of 340bhp so goes nicely and sounds great.

I'm not sure what to do with it at present, whether to hang on (as it does everything I need, is quick and a great sleeper) or whether it might be a good time to sell given the M3 touring announcement BMW made recently

Soldato
^^^^ very smart!

I've been looking at the BMW Service Plan, does it include brake pads and discs if they are part of the service schedule? I ask as next year's service on my M140i is a major one, which would need these parts.

Looking at the service plan pricing, it is £720 which includes this major service and an interval service two years later.

edit/ ignore me, it doesn't.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thought it might be about time I posted a few pics of my E46 3 series touring M3 conversion.

Originally a 318i, it has had an engine, drivetrain, suspension and brake conversion to that from a 2001 BMW E46 M3.

It has in the region of 340bhp so goes nicely and sounds great.

I'm not sure what to do with it at present, whether to hang on (as it does everything I need, is quick and a great sleeper) or whether it might be a good time to sell given the M3 touring announcement BMW made recently

That's superb. How long have you been running it for, and have you done anything to it above stock M3 bits?

What do you think it would sell for?

Soldato
^^^^ very smart!

I've been looking at the BMW Service Plan, does it include brake pads and discs if they are part of the service schedule? I ask as next year's service on my M140i is a major one, which would need these parts.

Looking at the service plan pricing, it is £720 which includes this major service and an interval service two years later.

A service, major or otherwise, doesn't require new brake pads and discs....these are just wear & tear items that need replacing when worn out. BMW's have their brake fluid done every two years though.

Man of Honour

Brakes are not done at a service (unless found to be worn after inspection) they are totally seperate.

Soldato
^^^^ very smart!

is it me or is 720 for two services pricey?

Soldato
Looking at the service on the car the next think is a vehicle check in May, any idea what this costs? Does it vary between BMW's? My local is Lloyds South Lakes BMW.
With this being my first fairly pricey car it's going to get washed unlike my last one, hoping someone buys me the BMW cleaning kit for my birthday then i know i have what i need. Don't fancy taking it to the local car wash. A week in and the interior is clean despite the kids and dog being in the car only a couple of dog hairs in the boot but i now have a boot cover so hopefully won't happen again. Car really is a joy to drive and i love the acceleration and comfort! it's that quiet compared to my x-trail that a couple of times i've gone to get out and the cars still locked as the engines on, the whole not using a key to start the car is taking some getting used to.

Soldato
is it me or is 720 for two services pricey?

It is much cheaper than paying for them separately if the car is less than 3 years old. You also do get an MOT and avoid paying their stupid scope charge.

The first oil service is £300+ and the second service is £700+

Dealers local to me are around this. Then add on their £30+ scope charge each time.

1xaxwki.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The other benefit is that if you can get the brake fluid change to coincide with the major service, it is also done in the major service (includes vehicle check and brake fluid change as well as the £700 service above).

Nipped to the car, oil service is due at the same time. So if its anything like the above looking at £300ish for both.

Do a quote online. The numbers you get from people can be very different to what it will be for you. It also varies a lot from dealer to dealer, so you might not have any super cheap dealers near you.

Soldato
It is much cheaper than paying for them separately if the car is less than 3 years old. You also do get an MOT and avoid paying their stupid scope charge.

The first oil service is £300+ and the second service is £700+

Dealers local to me are around this. Then add on their £30+ scope charge each time.

1xaxwki.jpg

Just because its cheaper than a total rip off doesn't make it a good deal.

Can't you take it to a local independent? I can't see an oil service bening much more than £150?

lol "scope charge"

Soldato
Just because its cheaper than a total rip off doesn't make it a good deal.

Can't you take it to a local independent? I can't see an oil service bening much more than £150?

lol "scope charge"

I think you'll find independents that use the same parts aren't massively cheaper (save at most £200 over 4 years).

Depends if you are willing to get into drawn out debate when the engine goes pop and BMW ask for proof that the services were up to scratch.

It is. The service plan has made no sense since it stopped being a 5 year package 3-4 years ago.

So you reckon everyone should now go to independents? the 5 year package was indeed a brilliant deal, but if you have a new car the service plan is still a lot cheaper than doing the first 2 services + MOT + brake fluid service + vehicle check and paying separately.

You can also get the 3 year brake fluid service added for £59. Separately that would be £80 + scope charge. It's free if your major service happens to be at the 3 year mark due to mileage (or way you drive).

So that is a 4 year cost of £720 (+£59) for:

~£300 oil service + microfilter (+scope charge)
~£650 major oil service + ~£140 vehicle check service (+scope charge)
£80 brake fluid service (+scope charge)
£50 MOT

Even if your car is over the warranty mark where all the servicing prices drop. Last time I checked the service plan still worked out a little cheaper.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
but if you have a new car the service plan is still a lot cheaper than doing the first 2 services

Almost nobody will get two services out of it, they are average 20k normally and the pack expires at 36k miles.

So really all you get is an oil service and a brake fluid change. Not good value.

I took the pack on my 5 series as it was still the 5 year one but when we ordered the Mini I couldn't make it work and the BMW/mini terms are the same.

Soldato
Almost nobody will get two services out of it, they are average 20k normally and the pack expires at 36k miles.

So really all you get is an oil service and a brake fluid change. Not good value.

Thats not how the service plan works. They are prepaid services. It doesn't suddenly expire at 36 months. You will get everything listed.

Need to look at how it actually works.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owners/service-workshop/servicing/pay-monthly-service-plan.html

It's simply an instalment plan with reduced costs.

Man of Honour
Oh have they totally got rid of the 3 year pack as well now?

They tried to get me to go for the prepaid one when my original plan expired. Again, couldn't find a way it worked unless the stars aligned with service intervals.

Back
Top Bottom