BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Soldato
If you are in a situation whereby you can open the door wide then you are correct - there is more room to get in and out of a 3 door car than the 5 door version of the same car.

However, if you're in a carpark or similar with limited space, the longer doors of the 3 door model impede access more than the shorter doors of the 5 door version. So, on balance, the wider opening of the 3 door is more of a hinderance than it is a benefit for those who have access issues.
Sorry I should have added that caveat:D. As a 3 door coupe owner I try and park with nobody on either side but it doesn't always stay that way. I do love taking the kids shopping for that reason though:p.

Soldato
You seem insistent on picking really poorly specced examples. You want one with pro nav, xenons, preferably sport seats (SE seats are like sitting on a park bench), and with climate control rather than the manual AC of the two you’ve linked.

This has got crashy M suspension and 18" wheels !
Although I can see the benefit of comfy seats, personally I wouldn't be paying a premium for pro nav, I don't need better traffic info say (https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=90066),
especially, if you are paying a significant premium; moreover, business might interest me if the audio is much better.
Xenons too, I'd want convincing these will significantly improve dipped headlight visibility; on main beams, halogen are fine.

Underboss
@jpaul
thanks for that, i did not realise there was any difference between the 2 cars really, i thought m sport spec was the same, just a later model , so just update to LEDs etc,
clearly not

Xenons or LEDs dont really care which, as i had xenons in the past, so i know how good they are, i hate Halogens this day an age

Soldato
I would. The screen on the non pro nav cars looks absolutely tragic and cheapens the cabin.

you can always post install/upgrade (ebay) yourself, or,
moreover, I want a native Tidal music app on the HU, get a decent(better audio quality) android head unit &, possibly update the tweeters ... for less than a purchase premium.
you are then genuinely in 2020's
edit : ie Guide to Upgrade 6.5" Screen to 8.8" Screen HU_ENTRYNAV

Last edited:
Soldato
eg:
10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
Real Android 10.0 64G ROM Screen for BMW 3 4 Series F30 F31 F34 F35 F32 F33 F36 NBT CIC 1920x720 HD Luxury Black Screen £500

Do these Android units work much better these days, I remember reading bits of that thread before and there were a lot of problems reported, too big a thread to read through right now but might have a look through it at some stage.

Soldato
but why would you put one of these in an F30?
Native Android, for me, I, exclusively use Tidal for streamimg, so I'd have access to my subscription (phone linking using BT/cp/aa would be inferior) , better dsp processing for sound too.
Also, if you are a, bigger/higher-res screen fan, for maps etc. it would deliver too.
You have your own sim too, or tether to phone, not sure if oem supports that. ?

Maybe the after market units come from the same factory as the muzzled oem ones.

I'd be thinking about them as a serious alternative to paying any kind of premium for pro-nav, in new, or used. (wouldn't be compliant with a pcp, or oem audio warranty)

Underboss
i wouldn't dare to put an android HU in a BMW

i have one in my "old" Focus to update it, its not quite right to be honest, id rather spend the extra and get pro nav, at least then its all integrated and less hassle

speaking of which, if your looking at AT adverts, how do you know if its got this pro nav or not ?

Back
Top Bottom