BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
I have the android system in my M6, it works spot on. Keeps the OEM bmw system information and nobody knows it is there until you hold the Menu button down and it it turns into the latest bmw idrive with Waze etc

Soldato
I'm handing my G31 520D Touring back in 10 days - those 3 years went by quick !!

I've covered 32,000 miles and it's been a solid car during that time. It's about quick enough for me as 90% of the miles were commuting through lots of traffic. Sure the engine could be smoother and quieter but the fuel economy was great :). I will probably miss the massive boot and loading space, you can't beat being able to throw in two full size bikes, without taking the wheels off. I will definitely not miss the size, it's massive; approx 5 meters by 2 meters. I sent it through a major BMW service today with no issues.

Probably the last ICE car for me as my next one is fully electric - Polestar 2.

Soldato
For music streaming services - unlocked by an android head-unit -
the Tidal Sub, if I continue after trial home period is some £200pa, as much as car insurance, equally with the data use it incurs, it would have to be tethered via the phones (unlimited'ish) subscription, to make it economic, for me;
so the expense/hassle of the HU itself, is, but, part of the investment

I assume bmw, don't support full android, even now, partly to avoid arbitrary streaming services data on their sub'd sim.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
speaking of which, if your looking at AT adverts, how do you know if its got this pro nav or not ?
Used to simply be if there was a large screen in the middle it had all the upgrades, now you can get the big screen but it doesn't have DAB or something so maybe someone with more knowledge is better placed to advise.

Underboss
Used to simply be if there was a large screen in the middle it had all the upgrades, now you can get the big screen but it doesn't have DAB or something so maybe someone with more knowledge is better placed to advise.

when i was looking on autotrader earlier
it was easy to tell when they were switched on

i think the physical sizes are the same

but when switched on, non pro nav is TINY

Associate
For music streaming services - unlocked by an android head-unit -
the Tidal Sub, if I continue after trial home period is some £200pa, as much as car insurance, equally with the data use it incurs, it would have to be tethered via the phones (unlimited'ish) subscription, to make it economic, for me;
so the expense/hassle of the HU itself, is, but, part of the investment

I assume bmw, don't support full android, even now, partly to avoid arbitrary streaming services data on their sub'd sim.

What full android experience can't you get with Android Auto?

Soldato
What full android experience can't you get with Android Auto?

Android auto wireless audio is 'rumoured' to send pcm audio at 44.1/16 from the phone which would not accomodate the Master tracks on Tidal, without downsampling,
the master tracks (which are both *different* recordings and resolution) sound better than their cd versions, so you'd loose that.
Access to Head unit music equalization also appears to be defeated when you use AA, so music would sound different versus, hosting it on an sd card in the hu.
( CarPlay, equally is using Apples lossless codec 44.1/16 so would have same issue.)
the music maybe going through the android 'mixer' too which may change resolution too(integer/floating-point etc)

I've not see HU's that support chromecast(client), or, dnla where, the native streaming service bitstream could be sent, that would be best.

So on the music quality side AA is questionable ... but, for App video rendering(maps etc), probably fine.

Man of Honour
Android auto wireless audio is 'rumoured' to send pcm audio at 44.1/16 from the phone which would not accomodate the Master tracks on Tidal, without downsampling,

I just use Spotify and it sounds fine. It is, after all, a car rather than a recording studio.

Soldato
You can’t reason with audiophiles. I’m more surprised that he isn’t complaining about the lack of a turntable in the options list.
I consider myself an audiophile nerd. I have thousands of pounds worth of audio equipment. I love it and I love all the nitty gritty nerdiness as much as I love listening to music.

But I can’t tell the bloody difference between plain old 16/44 and all the new high res stuff at home, never mind in a car cabin with all its acoustic deficiencies and, most importantly, road noise!

It’s all just marketing fluff really.

Soldato
I consider myself an audiophile nerd. I have thousands of pounds worth of audio equipment.

Sorry, you're just a peasant Audiophile.

All real car audiophiles rip out the car wiring looms and make sure they run 99.9999999998999% NASA cryo treated graphene tempered silver twisted quantum inversed nano elongated grain boundary cables instead.

Then every section of cable, the dash and car seats have to be setup on floating NASA shuttle grade ceramic anti grav panel mats.

You then have to stick a Russ Andrews badge under your ////M eBay badge on the boot

If you don't understand why this is all done, then you clearly have broken ears.

:D

Back
Top Bottom