BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
It rolled off the production line looking like it had already skipped the first decade of its life and ended up covered in Ebay tat :D

What do you get, really?

Some crappy black wheels that already don't suit the lines of the car as well as the original ones (Often the case with wheel designs introduced at a facelift - the original wheels tend to be designed along with the entire car, the facelift wheels an afterthought), some straight-from-Ebay black grilles and some tinted windows which to be fair virtually every regular M140i has anyway. Oh and some rear lights that have been darkened just like people in McDonalds carpark used to do with a Saxo.

Meanwhile the stock M140i is probably one of the nicest looking hot hatches in ages and the standard Cerium grey wheels are really nice.

Didn't all Shadow Editions also get the HK sound system? That is quite a desirable option in my opinion.

Soldato
;)I don’t know, depends if the ride is still rock hard or not :D

Granted the lsd might be overkill on a 116d.

I just think special editions on the performance models should be that, special. The the M140i version should have the lsd and adj suspension as standard as it really needs it. Obviously the Shadow edition is just a stick on tat exercise and BMW marketing know their game and audience better than I do. Sorry, I must have gotten out of the wrong side of bed...

Man of Honour
It was there to sell PCP deals and to be fair to BMW it very much did just that. There is a whole market of people who want shadow edition super blacked out McDonald's carpark spec cars and if a manufacturer can target these without devaluing the rest of the brand then why would they not?

Doesn't mean we have to like the cars though :D

Soldato

I just think special editions on the performance models should be that, special. The the M140i version should have the lsd and adj suspension as standard as it really needs it. Obviously the Shadow edition is just a stick on tat exercise and BMW marketing know their game and audience better than I do. Sorry, I must have gotten out of the wrong side of bed...

If you put a good diff and suspension in it then it's basically an M2.

Soldato
Soldato

It's not an M car, it's what the 135i and 335i used to be. They have now just stuck an M on the front to keep up with what audi did with S3 S4 etc which is no more than a regular A3/A4 with a larger engine and different suspension, and now mercedes with C43 etc

Soldato
There's a non black wheel option for the Shadow Edition M140i, but how rare that is I don't know, probably even harder to find than HK.

Having had a Shadow Edition I concur it's not as nice looking as my pre-LCI M135i, not to mention mine had higher insurance premiums than a non Shadow Edition. Take from that what you will.

HK is an uncommon option though, I don't agree with Fox that there are plenty, I'd say about 1/4 or less off the top of my anecdotal searches. There's an absolute wealth of boggo M135i/M140i's.

I'd certainly not pay more for an SE (that the acronym is shared with one of the base spec BMW models is interesting), but if one comes up that ticks all your other boxes, go for it.

Associate
Ran out of talent (aka luck) in the snow today, clipped a curb and bent rear drivers side wheel :rolleyes: 20 minute trip to the tip turned into a 4 hour wait.

Could see one bent control arm, hopefully that’s the extent of it and not too expensive :p

Soldato
Bad luck, been there before. Hit a pile of snow that was hiding a curb, while doing doughnuts in an empty car park @2am. Ripped the control arm from the chassis :o

Didn’t know that at the time, was a tricky 4 mile drive home right enough. Next morning dad notices the FNS wheel sitting at a funny angle. That took some explaining. Ah to be 17 and carefree (stupid) again.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Man of Honour
Is it a stupid idea to tow a track car with an M340i? My FD2 weighs around 1270Kg stock, from looking at various forums a typical Brian James trailer is around 360-400Kg. The M340i touring has a braked towing capacity of 1800kg so with a trailer, maybe fuel, few spare tyres etc that's getting almighty close and I believe you shouldn't get within 80% of the max. Or should I just give up and look at an SUV? Although I really don't want an SUV. :(

Soldato
I've towed almost 1800kg with a 5 & 3 Series touring no problem at all. The 80% is only a recommendation and the weight of what is being towed compared to the car take into account you add a lot of weight into the car if you load all the tools etc in the car with a couple of passengers and a boot full I was well over 2 tons not quite 80% but close.

Back
Top Bottom