BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Yeah there will be a passenger, tools, spare wheels/tyres, fuel, plus luggage etc. I won't be changing the current car for another year at least so it's a while off. I do like the idea of an M50d but a) I don't really want a diesel and b) I don't really want an SUV. Whatever I get will have to be my main car and I don't want a 4th car on the drive just to tow with!

Man of Honour
I can't imagine there is a decent car on the road that tows better than an X5 M50d without being an inferior allrounder.

The engine in it is absolutely incredible. Exceptionally powerful and yet no more inefficient than a regular 3 litre diesel. Astonishing. Such a shame to see it phased out. It's probably my favourite engine ever.

Man of Honour
I can't imagine there is a decent car on the road that tows better than an X5 M50d without being an inferior allrounder.

The engine in it is absolutely incredible. Exceptionally powerful and yet no more inefficient than a regular 3 litre diesel. Astonishing. Such a shame to see it phased out. It's probably my favourite engine ever.
What's the interior like on the older model compared to the new (2019?) one?

Caporegime
On other thoughts if this is your only car. Wouldnt it be easier just to drive the car to track days. It’s a dc5 not a radical? Hardly difficult to tax and MOT it.

Man of Honour
On other thoughts if this is your only car. Wouldnt it be easier just to drive the car to track days. It’s a dc5 not a radical? Hardly difficult to tax and MOT it.
It's an FD2 and I have been considering removing the interior and putting a cage in it. Driving it like that over to Spa (and other European circuits I want to go to) won't be much fun. Plus having a large car and trailer would be nice for spares or if I bin it.

Soldato
It's a shame that the middle screen looks 'stuck on', really not a fan of that. That said otherwise the interiors are lovely and I could definitely live with one.

The screen can be hidden, it retracts into the dash. I honestly don’t mind it, certainly looks better than the stuck on ipad that you get in the Mercs. That said I get it's not to everyone's taste.

In honesty it was a semi-serious suggestion, I have the tow bar but I don't use it. I am aware however that some acquaintances with far more desposeable income than me, use their RS6s to tow racecars and single seater stunt aeroplanes. They swear by the RS6's ability in this area and to still be a great all-round family car.

50877355042_397a9fb768_w.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Does it have the option for the new virtual cockpit?

The very newest ones do.

Btw it isn't that good. I've driven loads of cars with it and it's inferior to both the Audi and Mercedes versions sadly. I wouldn't get that hung up on it.

It doesn't really do anything the older ones on the earlier G series cars don't do.

I'd personally have a 3 series over an X3 too, btw

Back
Top Bottom