1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, 12 Apr 2012.

1. Fusion

Capodecina

Are we talking about used cars in terms of the “monthlies” as well now? :(

2. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

He's correctly calculating his expected depreciation.

3. Dis86

Caporegime

I've not seen his net positive fun appreciation calculations though.

4. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

This totally seems like a balanced and objective view.

You can tell a GS isn't superior in *every* way within 3 seconds of opening the door.

5. tamzzy

Capodecina

Unfortunately so, yes. Whilst it is a used car, they still do depreciate ;) though I will be buying it outright, it is always worth working out what the car will be worth in 3-4 years time.

6. tamzzy

Capodecina

True that.
    I'm sure going from an N20 28i to a B58 40i will be a very positive net fun appreciation :D

7. Dis86

Caporegime

As am I! They sound great too.

8. naefeart

Mobster

maybe not in ‘every’ way... ‘...just more enjoyable, more of the time...’

https://youtu.be/sIHQfqwLYys

9. jamoor

Sgarrista

Engine and gearbox far, far better.

I’ve owned the Isf with the same combo and it was sublime.
    Better quality, better reliability. (My f10 had corrosion covered under warranty)
    Better noise. There really isn’t much going for the M5 imo. I flogged mine after 9 months. This car is just a bit of a branding exercise.

10. naefeart

Mobster

I used to get stuck every year in the snow with my M3 and M5. Got to the point I simply wouldn’t try and would get the bus/lifts for a couple of weeks. Hasn’t been a problem the last 10 years or so, but when I tried the F10, I scared myself in the wet. I felt it had too much power for the traction available. Not an issue I have with the RS.

I’ll try the new M5 at some point, I dont see traction being an issue now, just depreciation.

ideally I’d like a car the size of the M2, but with the traction, build quality and luxury of the current M5.

11. Dis86

Caporegime

That's almost what I'd like but I just cannot get away with BMWs damping. I don't get how the boxster has better damping than my old 640. The f30 was even worse.

12. naefeart

Mobster

BM and Audi for that matter can’t seem to nail damping very well, often too soft or too firm. BM have no excuse because Alpina can make it work consistently with components from the BM parts bin. Go figure.

13. Robbo

Capo Crimine

Anyone got/had an F01 730/740d, specifically LCI? They seem great value and I fancy one. Largely mechanically similar to an F10 530d so should be relatively similar costs wise in many respects (I know the BMW warranty will be extortionate as it's a 7)?

I am a huge fan of the F10 so figured I could just go for an F01 instead, size isn't an issue.

14. Jez

Caporegime

Re the F01, They are mechanically near identical to the F10 and other cars of the same generation. If running one out of warranty then they, to me, absolutely make more sense than any of the others, they were the most expensive new, to me look the best (subjective), and are the best riding and most luxurious saloons which bmw made at the time.

That said...they are absolutely hated at this point in their lives on the used market. The cars look like bargains but be prepared to virtually give it away when you are finished with it. I would also be rather careful with the ownership history on them as I’d consider them a minefield...a lot will have been private hire cars and as such I’d not trust the odometer Reading on most of them. Unless you can trace it back to new as being privately owned or by a reputable company of course.

Also, only consider the LCI models. The pre LCI is a hangover from the E60/65 era in a lot of ways, including the old 6sp gearbox and very dated looking front end and lights. The LCI was a big upgrade on these...

15. Robbo

Capo Crimine

Thanks, those are my general sentiments too. Maybe one from BMW AUC makes more sense, the years warranty (maybe 2) and perhaps it'll have been more carefully checked history wise. They cost a bit more but there's a few that aren't too bad price wise.

16. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

If you're happy to go without warranty then the early G series cars are under 20k now...

17. J1nxy

Mobster

Really enjoying theX3M. Engine has loosened up nicely and the acceleration over 2500 is insane. The fuel economy isn’t bad on a run but comical round town. Sounds pretty decent especially in sport plus and handles well. Day to day it’s a very easy car to live with just turns into a rampaging monster given half a chance.

Comes up nice when cleaned as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Robbo

Capo Crimine

7's? I've only seen a handful...

If I were to go for a G series 5 it would need to have the Icon lights which limits you to basically 1% of the market :o

19. loltim

Capodecina

That looks great for a 53 plate

20. Jez

Caporegime

Good shout... although this depends on budget, if the budget is teens to late teens then an F01 is gone now for sure, the G cars are a serious step up and are absolutely where to go now.

To be honest, I assumed a lot less, I watched a 2012 early LCI car, good assured mechanical report, with 108k miles (probably inaccurate :p) go through Blackbusche for just £6850(£7500 with premium) just before the Christmas shutdown, they are absolutely hated.

Under or at around £10k, I guess that they are a bit of a bargain...., although you’ll never sell it for anything.