BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Think just caught it at a funny angle, couldn’t have been going more than 5-10mph.

Im looking forward to the conversation with the BMW garage tomorrow :cool:

The funny angle might cost about £2k to fix apparently.

Need to fix the obviously bent arm, possibly two more needed and a potential wheel bearing. They won’t know that until they fix the first and take it for a road test.

Now to decide if I claim on insurance or not...

Don
Ah yes, the perfect winter tyre.

Just the right choice for those Cornish roads :D

Sadly the car has barely moved in what is now probably months :( Being a family man I now have the obligatory Q3 (which also has barely moved :p )

Kwikfit offer a mobile fitting service for free, I've seen them get a fair bit of stick for being useless, my experience is anything but.

Man of Honour
So, I did purchase the 440i...and now looking to get the MPPSK (car is pre July 2018)...
I think the kit has to be declared in 2 parts:
1) ECU tune 10%
2) Exhaust system change - is it considered cosmetic or performance? I was thinking that cosmetic would be more appropriate as the exhaust does not alter the power/hp of the car?

Soldato
So after a couple of days with the M440i I’ve now handed it back and picked up my X3M after it had some warranty work done. Just thought I’d share my feelings on the car having had it on my drive for a couple of days and used it as I would any car.

Let’s get the main point of contention out of the way, the front end, grills, nostrils whatever you want to call them. With this car, in Dravit Grey and with the Shadowline pack installed I must say I think that it looks very good. The number plate in the middle breaks up the shape entirely and in reality, it’s a total non-issue and no different to the similar sized grill on the Audi range and as per usual has been blow utterly out of proportion by the internet. I don’t believe the shape photographs well but given a choice I’d be more than happy to have a 4 Series, or the M3/4 sat on my drive.

Onto how it drives and what it’s like to live with. The engine is a very very good, but I suspect we all knew that, with plenty of shove from very low down up through the rev range. The gear box is calibrated to perfections as is BMWs norm, but one thing that I noticed was how quiet it was. Even when pushing on it’s a relatively quiet place to be, at motorways speeds its virtually silent, and even when push it’s not very shouty. The S58 in my X3M is a totally different beast, it feels similar in torque figures when low down in the rev range but comes alive about 2,500 rpm, where the B58 is very linear across the range. If you leave the gearbox to do its thing in either car, you’re unlikely to ever find yourself short on performance when you want it. Fuel economy is pretty good given what the car has power wise and I managed 39mpg from home back to the dealer compared to 31mpg in the X3M doing the same journey when I dropped my car off. One thing I did notice was the coasting which worked well with the mild hybrid system, quite often the car would shut off while slowing etc but restarted instantly when you re-applied the throttle.

Steering and suspension are well calibrated, even on a car running 20” wheels all round. In comfort and adaptive the ride is very compliant, but the car never feels wallowy, and is softer sprung than mine in comfort mode. Sport and Sport+ add weight and control to the already well controlled body roll, but I didn’t feel the need to go near those options often sticking to adaptive most of the time.

The interior on this car was in the Oyster and Black which looks good and the improvement on the dashboard and build over the previous generate are both well documented and pretty obvious when you get it the car. Space wise it’d carry 4 people quite comfortably assuming they are not all 6 foot+ and has a decent sized boot, with split folding seats.

This car came with Technology Plus package which includes things like the HUD, Driver Assistance Pro and Parking Pro packs. It has the full active cruise package and self-steering which I tried on the M1 and worked pretty well and if you were expecting to do a lot of motorway or similar type driving, I can see it making a lot of difference to your journeys. I think there is a reasonable amount of tailoring you can do to the settings so you have a fair number of options over what you can let the car do. The parking plus packaging with all the cameras works very well, as it has done for a long time, and I miss only having the rear camera on my car. It also has the Driver Recorder option which lets you capture footage from all the cameras around the car, but I didn’t get much chance to play with that.

The ID7 and dash I believe are a slightly newer hardware version than what my X3M runs, but generally performed the same. There are a lot of options for configuring the dash but I suspect most people would find what they like, in my case, Speedo, Rev counter and a sat nav guidance and rarely ever change it. The HUD and CarPlay worked identically to my car and did exactly what I expected. Wireless charging is a nice option and my phone lived on the pad, much as it does in my car, or stays in my pocket on shorter journeys as wireless CarPlay means it just works with no cables etc.

Overall, I liked the car a lot and wouldn’t be upset with it or the similar M340i as a long-term ownership prospect. Running costs would be pretty good and it has all the performance you’d ever really need.

Man of Honour
It's so difficult to look past an M340i or similar as an absolutely excellent all-rounder. They are really very tempting, especially given BMW seems to have accidently facelifted the 5 Series to appeal to the ex-fleet high mileage Ebay bling market.

Soldato
The only downside of the M340d/i is the cost. Starting at £50k for the saloon and £52k for the Touring, going up to £57k for a decent spec.
Also, 36/37% BIK means it’s a tough choice for business use.

Man of Honour
The only downside of the M340d/i is the cost. Starting at £50k for the saloon and £52k for the Touring, going up £57k for a decent spec.

Nobody pays list price and nearly new examples start at 35k.

It is considerably better value than a 540i, where 30k gets you a mediocre spec 3 year old example.

Soldato
Nobody pays list price and nearly new examples start at 35k.

It is considerably better value than a 540i, where 30k gets you a mediocre spec 3 year old example.
Yeah, I looked on AT and the cheapest used saloon with no options was about £37k. Noticed plenty running black wheels or Shadow Line - perfect for you :p

Man of Honour
No options is a fairly harsh description, virtually everything you'd want is standard fit anyway and the one thing that isn't that you do want, Driver Assistant Pro, is missing from most of the high spec ones anyway.

Especially when you consider you need one with the base wheels to avoid the ghastly black wheels.

Commissario
Also check out someone like TRL as he usually has pre-reg ones, I managed over £11k off (dealer contribution, whatever you want to call it) for mine, which took it down to just over £44k.

Man of Honour
I think I’m not going to bother with towing and keep the interior in the Civic. I can probably get a decent cage in there with the interior in place, then just drive it. So I’m almost certainly going to go for the M340i touring as an all rounder and family car.

Commissario
I think I’m not going to bother with towing and keep the interior in the Civic. I can probably get a decent cage in there with the interior in place, then just drive it. So I’m almost certainly going to go for the M340i touring as an all rounder and family car.
Do it, they’re awesome

Associate

M340i sounds like a half decent tow car anyway?

Associate
Got mine in Aug. :) There are often some up for sale on the M140/M240 UK groups on Facebook.

What colour and spec did you get above and beyond the Shadow spec? I will see if any decent ones going on the M140/M240 UK groups.

@[TW]Fox I agree the black wheels aren't as nice as the normal ones. I did see you can get them without so would look to avoid.

Was looking for a Melbourne Red one over the other colours.

Would like to get a test drive to compare it to the Golf R / GTI PP or the Audi S3 as can't think of what else is around the same price that could tick all the boxes but that is currently out of the questsion.

Back
Top Bottom