1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, 12 Apr 2012.

1. Havana_UK

Mobster

What's the standard size on the rear?

As for larger I'd say little point. Better to have top quality rubber from Goodyear or Michelin.

/edit: rears should be 275 anyway I think on this car?

2. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It's worth spending the money on decent tyres. Absolutely no point buying a decent powerful car and then compromising it like that. Stick 4 Pilot Sport 4 on it and you'll be fine.

3. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It's a touring, which have the same size wheels front and back - so 245 all round. Though I cannot imagine it makes any real difference.

4. Havana_UK

Mobster

I never knew that BMW only used the staggered setup on the saloons but not the tourings...every day's a school day!

5. MG42Maniac

Wise Guy

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will look to stick some Pilot Sport tyres on, I'm annoyed with myself I didn't think to check at the time of looking over the car. I didn't think the dealer would put such **** tyres on, shows my naivety. Black Circles seems to be the best, all four for £616 fitted.

6. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Try ASDA tyres, I've always found them extremely competitive. It's also worth trying some local places, there's one near me that nearly always beats online prices, the only downside though is that they are exceptionally busy as a result.

7. theone8181

Soldato

How weird, even for the same power level?

8. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Yes. The staggered setup is nothing to do with power level really, it's a trim level thing and is probably more about looks than anything else. They've been doing it for ages - only the Sport/M Sport gets the staggered setup.

For example, 2002 520i Sport - 170bhp, staggered setup. 2002 540i SE - 286bhp, standard setup.

9. Antony101

Mobster

I thought the square setup was because of the air suspension on the rear of the 5 series touring specifically?

10. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The 6GT has air suspension at the back and staggered wheels.

11. Antony101

Mobster

Strange, I always found posts saying to stay away from the staggered wheels when I was buying a set of 351M alloys for my F11 and it was always due to the rear airbags. The square sets are a nightmare to find second hand.

12. EddScott

Sgarrista

:) I shall be away building my flat pack furniture and eating Daim!

13. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Try Costco, with their regular offers I found the prices to be unbeatable and you get free Nitrogen, Hmmmm Nitrogen :)

My warranty renewal just came through £522, with £100 excess and recovery, hardly used the car this last year.

14. roadie

Mobster

Or save some money and fit tyres like the Goodyear ASY 5 or Falken FK510.

15. MG42Maniac

Wise Guy

I've just booked in to have four Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres on Tuesday, got them for £560 fitted so happy with that.

16. MacRS4

Wise Guy

Having PS4S fitted to my M2Comp tomorrow. <5k miles on the car, however hoping these will be a lot better than the current PSS.

17. panthro

Capodecina

I really want my next car to be not a BMW but I am so used to them now, having had them for the last 10 years. Being able to play a DVD on the iDrive to keep the children quiet is really underrated. I've looked at other marques ICE to see if they also offer this but can't find anything concrete i.e. Porsche, Jag, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

18. MacRS4

Wise Guy

I've loved every BMW I've had pretty much, but my current M2C is my 7th on the trot! May be time for something else. Next one will be 4WD whatever it is. Perhaps I should go full circle and go back to an RS4...although sensible me thinks it'll probably be an M340 touring.

19. J1nxy

Mobster

Jag, or at least the last XF I had had an HDMI port in the arm rest, but I never tried video on it, and it did have the optional DVD drive. My X3 doesn't have a DVD drive at all with the latest iDrive

20. SDK^

Capodecina

My 5 Touring came with a staggered setup as standard
    Front - 245
    Rear - 275