BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Actually just realised that with the optional paint (+£560) and Pro Pack (+£1830) brings the list price to £40075 which brings it £75 over £40k. This means you would have to pay an additional £325 a year tax from the second year :( Can't believe BMW haven't priced the car with these two options so that it is a touch under £40k not over.

Almost doesn't seem worth the two options now. Would be tempting to untick one of the boxes, or maybe adding another option or two.

When I ordered my M140i I really wanted the front parking sensor but the £300 option would have pushed me over £40k so that £300 parking sensors would have ended me costing £1600 in the long run :o

Have you deducted the things that don't count in the 40k calculation, like the first year charge.

edit:

Checked and that is a £40075 OTR price and so will actually be below the 40k threshold for VED purposes. You need to subtract the registration fee and first year VED.

Man of Honour
Best of luck - if they deem the thing that is creaking to be "trim" or "requiring adjustment" it won't be covered by the warranty and they'll try and bill you for the diagnostic charge.

Ask me how I know ;)

Happened to my previous car too. I was told that it was the ratchet system of the electronic back rest was getting loose. Moving it forward and backward stops the creak for about 30 mins before coming back. Else apply some WD-40 - but this only solves it for about a week or so

They've found the issue and fixed it with foam strips. Only driven it home but it’s silent. They also cleaned it and did a visual check of the car, decent service.

Soldato
You guys running Michelin pilot sport 4S tyres, what psi are you running?

Looking up on various charts I'm getting different recommended pressures,
Most seem to say 32psi front 36 rear, but on Michelin website it's saying 37 front 40 rear, which sounds a bit high IMO.

Sizes for information are front 225/40/19 (93) & rear 255/35/19 (96)& are fitted to a 430d xdrive GC

Garage have set them at 38psi all round.

Soldato
You ought to be going by the car manufacturers spec, not the tyre manufacturers. Either in the door jamb or the fuel filler flap.

Was looking more for people who have actually fitted them to see if the information on Michelin website was more upto date than the 5 years old sticker on the car really.

Car states 35 front 39 rear so yet another recommendation :D

I'll drop the fronts a couple of psi to 35 & see how it feels as at 38 the front felt a little light.

Soldato
Was looking more for people who have actually fitted them to see if the information on Michelin website was more upto date than the 5 years old sticker on the car really.

I'll drop the fronts a couple of psi to 35 & see how it feels as at 38 the front felt a little light.

I run them at 35/39 as stated on the door shut, you should get your wheel alignment checked I did this a couple of days after fitting the tyres and it was out when back in spec weighted the steering up nicely along with a sharper turn in.

BMW dealer had a deal on £100 for the alignment they put weights in the car when doing the alignment which most other garages don't bother doing.

Caporegime

The requirements of the tyre pressure don't really change with tyre evolution. And yes too hard on the front of BMWs will be light steering, hence they go for softer to help grip and feel. Tyre pressure you may need to change if running winters but im sure BMW would advise pressures for that

I doubt what i run on my car on same tyres is really that relevant to your car tbh. Go with what BMW state and then you can tweak a bit if you like.

Soldato

Most seem to say 32psi front 36 rear, but on Michelin website it's saying 37 front 40 rear, which sounds a bit high IMO.

Sizes for information are front 225/40/19 (93) & rear 255/35/19 (96)& are fitted to a 430d xdrive GC

My F80 is 32 front and rear, 255/35/19 & 275/35/19, which is what I run. Seems fine to me.

Soldato
I've always stuck to the car manufacturers pressures, regardless of who that is. I figure there's will be better than the tyre manufacturers as they will (hopefully) have done some testing.

Don

34 all round (265/30/20 & 285/30/20)

Soldato
has anyone driven the new 128ti or compared it with the m135i xDrive?

Reviews seem to say it's a bit more fun to drive but the car comes with less spec as standard

Caporegime
9 years ago I drove a E92 M3 around the N ring. Yesterday i finally did a track day in my own, 4 years after buying it. Lots of other track cars there but there was something nice about turning up, driving the hell out of the car then jumping on the road to drive home in comfort. This is what a BMW M is all about

Thruxton with motorsport events. The E92 brakes are known to be a bit crap for heat but as Gaygole and DRZ hinted at the DS2500 brakes and SRF fluid held up well, despite standing on them at 140mph into the last chicane. Car is standard E92 M3 comp pack otherwise.

Again DRZ was right, track is incredibly hard on tyres and its a 2mile corner with 2 short straighes either side of the chicane. MPS4s were consistent enough until this session when they seemed to start sliding a bit, warmer track in afternoon maybe so tyre pressures might have crept up too much but i was out of fuel anyway :D.

Morning i used auto mode to learn the lines but as good as it is it often would be a gear too high on corner exists and you stop thinking about gears, so after lunch is was manual S5 mode only which helped as you started to associate corners, entry speed/noise withs gears, plus you could get on the gas immediately. Church was always fun to hit as hard as you dared but you knew too fast would end up struggling on the exit, near the end i think my right wheels hit the rumble strip on the left

Camera mount isn't ideal and its an old gopro but skip the first warm up lap and enjoy some BMW S65B40 V8 goodness.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm surprised you found the DS2500 to hold up so well, I've always found them complete rubbish for track use especially on a heavier car when pad deposits are even worse. Car sounds good. :)

Caporegime
I'm surprised you found the DS2500 to hold up so well, I've always found them complete rubbish for track use especially on a heavier car when pad deposits are even worse. Car sounds good. :)
I went with James in his DC5 and i shared the same concerns, he also had them on hit. They are hit and miss reading forums but i think its about getting an even deposit by bedding in properly otherwise the uneven deposits cause the judder. They should have a nice even dark of grey across the disk when they done right.

Driving home they are much louder as the pad material is all over the disk too

Edit, just checked the fronts, i think i used about half the pads and the disk holes are all full off dust :D 0fBFvKO.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom