BMW and M Power Owners

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Random Q of the day: dad wants G21. Doesn’t want the “sun protection glass” which is found on almost all high-spec models. Would swapping these out for clear glass cost thousands of pounds for what is a £320 factory option?

Completely agree.
Honestly, the G20 is mighty impressive. It’s so well put together, refined and planted, you almost forget it’s a mid-size executive saloon if it weren’t for the relatively cozy interior.

Associate
Having previously had the following (excuse me if I have got any of the model numbers incorrect):

E92 325i Coupe (2011)
F30 340i (2018)
G20 M340i (Feb 2021)

I can't say I had any issues living with the F30 although there were certain things I liked more on the E92 so I did feel BMW had gone backwards a little with quality but it wasn't a horrible place to be (nothing to complain about with the engine/gearbox) and I didn't experience any odd rattles/build quality issues at the point I changed to the M340i, at that pont it was still shy of 17k so this could have changed in the future.

There is a massive difference I feel between the F30 and the new G20 (some of this could be due to it having a better specification than my previous 340i), the M340i is just a pleasure to drive and it brings a smile everytime I get in it! One of my friends preferred the look of the F30 to the G20, I am still torn about changing the wheel colour and since I appear to have gained a stone chip on one of the wheels that may happen sooner than planned for a test :)

325i:
20210522230036-58f0fdf6-xl.jpg

340i:
i.php

M340i:
20210228014111-0ffd1b8e-xl.jpg

Not the best photo, but we haven't really had the greatest weather this year so far and the colour really comes out in the sun (when it isn't dirty, which is currently rare!).

Last edited:
Associate
The red one. No idea what the question is, or the debate, but the red one.

Definately the best picture (possibly due to the sun, and it the fact it actually looked red at the time, not just red ish, or orange :) and I had the wheels redone in AMG blue/grey from the original black/diamond cut finish) but it's been and gone!

Ideally I think I would like a combination of the 2 models for my ideal 3 series, I will also get a better picture of the current car at some point.... possibly with the wheels in this colour:

s-l1600.jpg

Soldato
F3x interior is definitely a step up from the E85.
Not so much from the E89 IMO.

Interesting! When my E85 went in for repairs about 5 years ago I had a 4 series convertible and I remember thinking the interior and the screen modern iDrive were fantastic, and that the stereo was awful even though it was Harmon Kardon (it had 0 base no matter what you did to the EQ, possibly broken?)

My E89 how ever felt dated when I bought it 2 years ago... and I still have memories of the interior of that 4 series being a big step up in terms of tech and appearance. Wonder if I was just far more easily impressed back then because I had an E85.

Man of Honour
Interesting! When my E85 went in for repairs about 5 years ago I had a 4 series convertible and I remember thinking the interior and the screen modern iDrive were fantastic, and that the stereo was awful even though it was Harmon Kardon (it had 0 base no matter what you did to the EQ, possibly broken?)
my old 428i had the standard stereo. Imagine how i felt after sitting in a car with the HKs... :cry:
that loaner must've been broken lol, the HKs in mine are punchy even at 25-30% volume (which is where i always keep the volume)

My E89 how ever felt dated when I bought it 2 years ago... and I still have memories of the interior of that 4 series being a big step up in terms of tech and appearance. Wonder if I was just far more easily impressed back then because I had an E85.
possibly. i don't think the interior changed much IMO from the E89/E90 (other than the addition of the centre screen for most E90s), really...more a small evolution rather than anything more than that.
barring the CIC infotainment compared to NBT...i think it still looks decent. E85 on the other hand...it's like going back to the stone age lol

mjt

mjt

Soldato
G21 330e or 330i? Discuss. (M340i is out of the running as it's complete overkill for a couple in their 70s who mainly pootle to the shops and do the occasional long journey if COVID-19 ever goes away)

Associate
G21 330e or 330i? Discuss. (M340i is out of the running as it's complete overkill for a couple in their 70s who mainly pootle to the shops and do the occasional long journey if COVID-19 ever goes away)

320i a consideration? It's not as quick as either but it sounds like the 70s couple don't need bags of performance.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
320i a consideration? It's not as quick as either but it sounds like the 70s couple don't need bags of performance.
I felt the 320i was a little underpowered when I had one as a loaner. They have a Mk6 GTI and my dad used to have a 535i GT so something with a bit of poke would be nice.

Soldato
I just picked up a G30 530d 2019 for a friend.

I can’t believe Folding mirrors are not standard? What the hell?
I was amazed my 2015 'top spec' Jaguar XF didn't have them either. Given that my 2012 Fiesta did, and every Fiesta I owned since. Seems an odd decision given it's usually a relatively low cost option.

Man of Honour
It isn't a CRT screen it's an LCD - the same LCD that you'll find permanently sticking up on an F30.

Compared to the E90 on which it's based it feels more upmarket, looks more pleasant and IMHO still looks great for a car that came out 12 years ago and is built on a platform that came out 16 years ago! I don't think 'dated' is particularly fair unless a car is quite new. Shock as 12 year old car doesn't have new interior? If they were still selling it new now its a valid point but they're not..

The only thing I don't like about it is the incredibly basic instrument cluster but this is an unfortunate side effect of its E90 base.

Back
Top Bottom