BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
It will likely be the same £522 a year for £100 excess and break down cover as the old 3 Series. The prices have remained fairly static over the models.

Nice one, thanks :) I did get a quote based on a F30, but the prices are always higher if you take out a new policy rather than extend the manufacturer warranty.

Soldato
so i went and test drove a 2017 lci 430d convertible today and have to say I didnt like it at all, previously having a E90 non lci 330d was expecting a bit more but wasnt impressed at all, it seemed the engine was much louder, no quicker and very shaky in the cabin, question is will the 335d feel much quicker?

Man of Honour
so i went and test drove a 2017 lci 430d convertible today and have to say I didnt like it at all, previously having a E90 non lci 330d was expecting a bit more but wasnt impressed at all, it seemed the engine was much louder, no quicker and very shaky in the cabin, question is will the 335d feel much quicker?

I have to wonder what you were expecting? It's a convertible with a metal roof so it's seriously heavy - almost 1800kg. This is some 250kg heavier than an E90 LCI and cancels out basically all of the additional power of the newer engine. The 435d will be a bit quicker but not massively - most of the on paper benefit is from the 4wd system making it quicker off the line.

The engine in these is really good but it's absolutely not the right engine for a convertible. It's at it's best in a decent saloon with plenty of soundproofing. I've got the same engine in my 530d and it's very quiet inside indeed.

Why would you want to drop the roof on a sunny day and listen to a diesel? Even if it is one of the best diesels so far made?

Go for a 430i or a 440i instead.

Soldato

Gotta agree with Fox on this one. A lot of the joy from having the top down is then driving in a fun manor, which you can’t do with a diesel (to any real degree). Diesels are for commuting and long distance journeys so you save money, they suck at everything else comparatively.

Caporegime
I have to wonder what you were expecting? It's a convertible with a metal roof so it's seriously heavy - almost 1800kg. This is some 250kg heavier than an E90 LCI and cancels out basically all of the additional power of the newer engine. The 435d will be a bit quicker but not massively - most of the on paper benefit is from the 4wd system making it quicker off the line.

The engine in these is really good but it's absolutely not the right engine for a convertible. It's at it's best in a decent saloon with plenty of soundproofing. I've got the same engine in my 530d and it's very quiet inside indeed.

Why would you want to drop the roof on a sunny day and listen to a diesel? Even if it is one of the best diesels so far made?

Go for a 430i or a 440i instead.

Could be worse, he could have got a Merc 220d c class convertible like my neighbour has. AMG Premium plus edition. It does look lovely but every time I walk past I just cant help think why spend all that money on a lovely convertible which weighs 1795kg and has a 4 pot diesel engine and just makes 60 in under 8 seconds and will sound awful with the roof down?

Soldato
When I bought my X3M last september the X3 was cheaper than the M340i, primarily due to the support from BMW and the residual value on the X3M being significantly higher than that of the M340i. Its worth a comparison to see where they land, assuming you're financing it.

As my thoughts on the X3M, which I don't own anymore..., the ride is hard but not end of the world hard. It handles well, has far more power than is required, sounds pretty good and is nicely spec'd. Running costs are comically high, fuel economy is rubbish, it eats the OEM tyres and servicing is expensive...

Soldato
When I bought my 640D I didn't think it would be terrible on juice but never did I think it would be this good between fill ups:

IMG-9004.jpg

Soldato
When I bought my X3M last september the X3 was cheaper than the M340i, primarily due to the support from BMW and the residual value on the X3M being significantly higher than that of the M340i. Its worth a comparison to see where they land, assuming you're financing it.

As my thoughts on the X3M, which I don't own anymore..., the ride is hard but not end of the world hard. It handles well, has far more power than is required, sounds pretty good and is nicely spec'd. Running costs are comically high, fuel economy is rubbish, it eats the OEM tyres and servicing is expensive...

Thanks. I really don't think I want another SUV, and the interior of the pre-LCI X3 puts me off. The prices of the LCI X3 are just too much for me to swallow.

Soldato
Have you sat in the X3M pre-LCI? One with the ID7 system including the full digital dash?

I sat in a showroom model X3 M40i a year ago. It didn't have the full digital dash, and I couldn't be sure of the iDrive version.

EDIT: Saw a few X3 M40i on the AUC site with the full digital dash. Looks good but they still have the previous iDrive controller and gearstick design. First world problems, of course, but apart from the boot I still prefer the Touring.

X3M is way too expensive from both a purchase price and running costs point of view.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom