BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
It looks nice, are the X series M cars really M cars? They surely can’t handle all that well.

Given its basically an M5 underneath with the new 3.0 S6 Twin Turbo engine and much messed with suspension it does, on the road at least, a very good impression of one. It is ballistically quick and does handle surprisingly well given its size, weight and height. Is it as good as an M3/4 no, but its very very good still and the way it drove certainly wasn't the reason I don't own it anymore.

Man of Honour
Given its basically an M5 underneath

It isn't though is it. Half the appeal of an M5 is the V8 and this is an inline 6 for a start!

Ok fair enough it's technically the same platform but so is the Z4 and the 3 Series and nobody is going around claiming those two are basically an M5 underneath.

Last edited:
Soldato
It isn't though is it. Half the appeal of an M5 is the V8 and this is an inline 6 for a start!

Ok fair enough it's technically the same platform but so is the Z4 and the 3 Series and nobody is going around claiming those two are basically an M5 underneath.

i mean the running gear so AWD system, gearbox, cooling etc are straight from the m5. The engine is different of course but that was what I said. I’m not claiming it’s an m5

Soldato
i mean the running gear so AWD system, gearbox, cooling etc are straight from the m5. The engine is different of course but that was what I said. I’m not claiming it’s an m5

Haha, I was very surprised, I thought you meant engine initially, was very confused. Yea it shares some parts with an M5, but it’s far from one, much closer to a 3 series but taller and therefore handles a tad worse. I’m sure it’s great in many ways as an all rounder.

Soldato
Haha, I was very surprised, I thought you meant engine initially, was very confused. Yea it shares some parts with an M5, but it’s far from one, much closer to a 3 series but taller and therefore handles a tad worse. I’m sure it’s great in many ways as an all rounder.
Huh I always assumed it was based on the 3 series and the x5 on the 5. I know there's a size difference but just purely on the name. Agree that they will never be a true M car, physics dictates that it can't handle as well due to high COG.

Man of Honour
Huh I always assumed it was based on the 3 series and the x5 on the 5

Because it is. Sure, there are some shared parts but it's quite a stretch to claim it's basically an M5 underneath.

The Iveco Daily van also uses the ZF8 gearbox you'll find in the M5, and the 540i, and the 320i, and the Jaguar XF...

Soldato
I fear you've been bashed already a lot for this but the AWD system on the M5 is actually quite different to in the X3M no? X3M doesn't have the ability to go RWD only etc and I'd imagine cooling is also different - so you're left with the gearbox :D

Either way it's a nice car - and now that I have an SUV I have to say I understand why people are going towards them - it's an easy no compromise option.

as someone who doesn’t see a reason to get an SUV for myself, why are people going for them over say, an M3? No compromise, I would have thought the handling and weight would be a significant one?

Soldato
as someone who doesn’t see a reason to get an SUV for myself, why are people going for them over say, an M3? No compromise, I would have thought the handling and weight would be a significant one?
My exact thoughts. I've heard they are old people friendly as you don't have to bend down to get in them, maybe better visibility, but if everyone has suvs not sure if that cancels out. I guess they're seen as a posher alternative to an estate if you have dogs. Not sure of any other reasons.

Soldato

I guess the point is that you are questioning someone who has had both and can see the benefit with only theory of your perception of why. The compromise of those attributes is balanced by the space, comfort and posture, visibility (tends to be a lower bonnet and belt one, more upright glass and see over road undulations, low hedges etc) usability of the volume and roominess. The stuff you can use every journey aswell as the fashion statement aspect is what’s drove the market that way.

Soldato
The higher up driving position feels more relaxing on longer journeys for sure. As a BMW SUV driver being able to see over the top of the car your tailgating feels safer too :D

Soldato
I guess the point is that you are questioning someone who has had both and can see the benefit with only theory of your perception of why. The compromise of those attributes is balanced by the space, comfort and posture, visibility (tends to be a lower bonnet and belt one, more upright glass and see over road undulations, low hedges etc) usability of the volume and roominess. The stuff you can use every journey aswell as the fashion statement aspect is what’s drove the market that way.

Yup. I like to hear from people who have different opinions to me, and why they think the way they do. Works much better if they’ve had both options and picked the choice I wouldn’t.

Back
Top Bottom