BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Safer ? ... you follow suv's into roundabouts and bends and they have to brake to b* , versus, your, hedonistic pleasure;
way back in thread we'd looked at X5 accident statistics for leaving the road versus a 5 series QED

Soldato
It isn't though is it. Half the appeal of an M5 is the V8 and this is an inline 6 for a start!

Ok fair enough it's technically the same platform but so is the Z4 and the 3 Series and nobody is going around claiming those two are basically an M5 underneath.

Congratulations on only quoting part of what I said, and also ignoring what I was replying to. The X3M, like the X5M/X6M and now M3/M4 share the drive train which is... the same as M5. The AWD system and gearbox along with the rear diff are specific to the M series cars and it is not the same gearbox as can be found in the rest of the BMW range. It is based on the ZF8 speed but is played with considerably by the M Division to make it fit their requirements. The work they have done to keep things cool including that being oil coolers (multiple), intercooler, etc its not a normal BMW by any stretch of the imagination, just look at it front on or underneath to see the number and size of the radiators. So unlike the M340i or other M "lite" cars the X3M is most definitely a fully fledged member of the M division.

Haha, I was very surprised, I thought you meant engine initially, was very confused. Yea it shares some parts with an M5, but it’s far from one, much closer to a 3 series but taller and therefore handles a tad worse. I’m sure it’s great in many ways as an all rounder.

You were confused after reading 9 words? because thats how many words it took to for me to type its got the S6 Twin Turbo engine in? And again in the context of your question is it a real M car? the answer is clearly yes, does it handle like a saloon or coupe no, its an SUV and unfortunately physics gets in the way, does it handle well for a car of its type and class...yes it most certainly does.

Because it is. Sure, there are some shared parts but it's quite a stretch to claim it's basically an M5 underneath.

The Iveco Daily van also uses the ZF8 gearbox you'll find in the M5, and the 540i, and the 320i, and the Jaguar XF...

The ZF8 is an amazing box I know as just about every car I've owned in the last 9 years has had it installed, but as I've stated, and surely your aware, it isn't the same as the box as used in the rest of the range, it has its own designation, or the same as used across so many other platforms. Its be configured and developed by M Division to meet their requirements so whilst based on the ZF8 speed, which has a number of different versions, this is M specific.

Remembers when the wheel alignment man at the local garage insisted my XE was a Mondeo :o

Probably remembering back to when the X-Type came out which was a modified Mondeo platform.

I fear you've been bashed already a lot for this but the AWD system on the M5 is actually quite different to in the X3M no? X3M doesn't have the ability to go RWD only etc and I'd imagine cooling is also different - so you're left with the gearbox :D

That was a software limitation which was quickly enabled by the coding community after release, so yes it is the same system which maybe was why I said it was?

But hey why would I know anything about this car, I only bought one, spent god know how many hours deciding if it was what I wanted and drove it round for 6 months.

Man of Honour
Yup. I like to hear from people who have different opinions to me, and why they think the way they do. Works much better if they’ve had both options and picked the choice I wouldn’t.
I'm potentially after an SUV due to having a dog plus perhaps starting a family next year. Having the door entry higher helps out a lot.

Soldato
I'm potentially after an SUV due to having a dog plus perhaps starting a family next year. Having the door entry higher helps out a lot.
However the minus is that I find the front doors are larger, thus when in a parking bay with other vehicle's in the adjacent ones you cannot open the doors fully.
Besides I am 65 and detest anything that resembles a estate on stilts or a van with windows, plus they are clogging up our roads because the majority are out there being driven are underpowered and just get in my way.
I guess I will not grow old gracefully as those who have followed my posts know what I own..

Soldato
However the minus is that I find the front doors are larger, thus when in a parking bay with other vehicle's in the adjacent ones you cannot open the doors fully.
Besides I am 65 and detest anything that resembles a estate on stilts or a van with windows, plus they are clogging up our roads because the majority are out there being driven are underpowered and just get in my way.
I guess I will not grow old gracefully as those who have followed my posts know what I own..

Yep those pesky few extra inches and them damn speed limits, Causing all sorts of gridlock

Caporegime

More often than not that's the driver not the vehicle. I was following a Merc GLE 63 last week. A 571bhp V8 behemoth with 0-60 of 3.8s and was driving at 40mph between the villages admiring the scenery (clearly on holiday). In 7 miles of back roads where I live there are only two safe places to overtake so long as there isnt oncoming traffic - there was both times.

Eventually he got the message and pulled over to let me pass...............100 yards before my house :(

Man of Honour
An X5 works perfectly for us where an estate just fails miserably, but that's our needs and requirements.

I take issue with statements like this - it's difficult to take them seriously.

I absolutely get why you might want an X5. It's a decent car. I'm not one of these anti SUV types. But come on - an X5 is basically an estate with higher ground clearance. So, I can't imagine very many situations whereby an estate 'fails MISERABLY' but an X5 is actually 'PERFECT'. What are these situations? Is it not more likely that they are situations where 'I prefer an SUV, as its a bit better'? Probably.

Your statement looks like the sort that would probably be better used when the two cars in question were a Renault Scenic and a Mazda MX5. rather than a 5 Series Touring and a 5 Series Touring with taller suspension :D

Soldato
An estate does fail miserably for us, so it is utterly useless. A saloon is even more useless for our requirements. I'm not batting around the bush here :D

We need the height inside for a combo of bikes, dogs and luggage space, so it's the only choice whilst being an incredible car.

We don't make a car choice based on 'wants', it primarily comes down to needs first then we add the wants in later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom