BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
OP
/\/\ So much want, especially in that colour :( I sat in an F10 M5 at Cooper Reading. Made me want one even more. It felt massive inside, but that may be because it was inside the showroom.

Soldato
Had my Z4 3.0si for a couple of months now :)

IMAG0029small.jpg

IMAG0027small.jpg

Soldato
I'm on my third BMW. Bought a 530i in 2007 having had a ride in Fox's and deciding it really was a huge step up from the Mondeo I had at the time.

530i.jpg

530i_2.jpg

20070826touri1636.jpg

Kept it 9 months before thinking that although I really liked the car, I wanted a little bit more and so bought my e39 M5 in March 2008.

e39_m5.JPG

e39M5_ring.jpg

I kept the e39 for 3 years and thoroughly loved it, but had a bit of an itch for something newer. Facelift e60 M5s with reasonable mileages were coming down to more sensible prices and so I decided to bite the bullet and have a chance to drive a V10 before we all end up driving 4 cylinder twin charged engines in a few years time!

e60_m5_1.jpg

e60_M5_2.jpg

I've had the e60 now for 13 months and touch wood have had no issues with it. Regardless it is covered by the very good BMW extended warranty and so shouldn't cause too much heartache if the gearbox goes pop at some point.

The fuel consumption is a little worse than the e39 M5 (although not by as much as some people would have you believe if driven sensibly). I managed something like 23 MPG driving a steady 120 mile trip back to my parents' earlier in the week where the e39 might have managed 25. The performance is something else though. Undoubtedly the e39 was quick, but the e60 feels so much more eager and really puts a smile on your face when the v10 is being worked hard.

Given the cost of fuel it'd not make a good car for every day use, but luckily I now commute by train into the city so fuel prices aren't such an issue. In the year I've had it, it's only done something like 6,000 miles. By comparison, the first year of e39 ownership I put something like 24,000 miles on it (I was collecting a lot of v-power points!).

I'm not sure where I go from here. Will likely keep the e60 for another 18-24 months and then get the itch for a change again. As much as I love the F10, I do wonder if rather than chasing performance and the cost that goes with it, I wouldn't be better with something like a 6 series cab in a more "modest" guise (something like a 2-3 year old 640i / 650i).

Soldato
IMO we should split the threads up between the genuinely sporty M cars and the non M cars such as the "sport" and SE spec cars. They are worlds apart. Do M car owners really want 118d owners polluting up their genuinely sporty based threads? I think not!

Soldato
First BMW - E39 M5 with quite a few modifications:

12au.jpg

35350394.jpg

Then E60 M5 with DMS remap - here it is at the Ring after red cog of death!
dsc01956j.jpg

Then E46CSL, later with AP's all round.

web2b.jpg

web4l.jpg

E92 M3 with Miltek exhaust

005bgf.jpg

027kfr.jpg

Soldato
OP
IMO we should split the threads up between the genuinely sporty M cars and the non M cars such as the "sport" and SE spec cars. They are worlds apart. Do M car owners really want 118d owners polluting up their genuinely sporty based threads? I think not!

The thread is for all BMW's. We want to discuss all BMW's, not just ones with an M badge on.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Now on my third.

The first was an E30 325i touring. Looked just like this one (sorry, lost all of my actual photos of it a couple of years ago whilst moving house):
1845381-1.jpg

Overall, was a great car, smooth, sensible sized and a lot of fun to drive. Unfortunately I think mine had been clocked by a previous owner by several K and in reality was the least reliable car I've ever owned.

2nd was an E46 330i sport:
ABAF1154-01a.jpg

Again, a great car, but in the day to day humdrum of living in London, the M-sport suspension eventually got to me.

Now we have an E91 330i SE touring, with full leather, sports seats, iDrive, Sat Nav etc.
Again, don't have any photos to hand, but for those of you who never venture out into the real world, looks pretty much the same as this:
attachment.php

Ours is disbadged, meaning that you'd struggle to differentiate it from a 320D, which is fine by me.
Great car. Doesn't rattle (as Fox's LCI did), has more poke than the old E46, IMO a better resolved interior, the wonderful seats from an M-sport, the practicality of a rear hatch and doesn't have the bone-crashingly hard suspension of the M-sports.

Soldato

Really?!? Although I'm not sure why the open called the thread "BMW and M Power", I thought an M Power car was a BMW? That's a bit like saying "who ownes a Dog or a Dalmation" is it not ?

Soldato
My 2009 E89 Z5 sDrive 35i. Just ticked over to 10,000 miles last night.

Fantastic car with the roof up or down :) Puts a smile on my face every time I step into it.

dsc0004ml.jpg

dsc0006fk.jpg

dsc0007ed.jpg

dsc0001ej.jpg

dsc0002wbv.jpg

Soldato
OP
Just a shame about the whole "playing an engine note through the audio system" thing.

Really lets the car down, just why?

I don't see why it does. IMO it enhances it. Its not as if they are playing a different engine note. If you want to hear the engine wind the windows down. Turbo engines are not particularly loud anyway. I would rather have more sound deadening in a car like the M5 with the amplified engine noise, however in something like a CSL you want less sound deadening and more noise.

Associate
And here's a little one my 130i:D
img0276e.jpg

img0397e.jpg

clubsportrims.jpg

Only a baby but i like it. The club sport rims are due a refurb, diamond cut rims dont last long, lacquer starts to peel very quickly, going to get them powder coated and dare I say it was thinking a black/smoked chrome centers with a polished rim:eek:

Soldato
Just a shame about the whole "playing an engine note through the audio system" thing.

Really lets the car down, just why?

I think I'd live with it. I guess you could argue that engine noise helps indicate when to change gear and as the cars so well insulated without enhancement it would be difficult to judge.

Caporegime
I've had both an E36 325i:

1109.jpg

And an E46 330d:

330d.jpg

I miss both in their own ways, my 325i was my introduction both to RWD and BMW, and I loved every second. The straight 6 screaming at high revs sounded awesome, and it was incredibly highly specced for a 1992 car!

The 330d was simply superb, I clocked up almost 40,000 miles in 18 months, it took me across Europe to Slovakia and back, and up the French Alps twice! I miss it in every conceivable way and will get back into a BMW soon, but it was getting too miley and too old to keep ploughing cash into it to keep it in tip-top condition. Unfortunately, no BMW offerings in my price-range got me anywhere near the age, condition and spec of my current Audi A6.

I am however on the hunt for something new this summer, so we shall see where I end up!

Soldato
I think I'd live with it. I guess you could argue that engine noise helps indicate when to change gear and as the cars so well insulated without enhancement it would be difficult to judge.

If you're not in auto mode, you're probably on a spirited drive so you're going to hear in engine anyway ...

Soldato
I don't see why it does. IMO it enhances it. Its not as if they are playing a different engine note. If you want to hear the engine wind the windows down. Turbo engines are not particularly loud anyway. I would rather have more sound deadening in a car like the M5 with the amplified engine noise, however in something like a CSL you want less sound deadening and more noise.

What!! How does a fake engine noise enhance it? Regardless if BMW's team of musicians managed to capture the exact note, tone and volume. It's still fake!

Back
Top Bottom