BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I was under the impression there was a system called "Active Sound Design", which replicates the noise of the engine based upon the revs of the engine?

It's certainly not "captured" from the engine bay, unless there is a secret microphone hidden under the bonnet

Soldato
my last bmw :)

Picture071-1.jpg

been a long time since I had a bmw or indeed RWD time for another i think maybe a 328
E36 or similar

Caporegime
I was under the impression there was a system called "Active Sound Design", which replicates the noise of the engine based upon the revs of the engine?

It's certainly not "captured" from the engine bay, unless there is a secret microphone hidden under the bonnet

The blurb seems to indicate that it takes data from the ECU to estimate the appropriate noise to play, indicating that it doesn't simply use a microphone connected to the stereo and in fact uses digital processing etc. to produce an artificial noise.

I can't comment as I've never heard it, but I'd be surprised if this appealed to many petrolheads!

Man of Honour
Just a shame about the whole "playing an engine note through the audio system" thing.

Really lets the car down, just why?

You could have fooled me. It hasn't ruined it for me and sounds rather good. i doubt wheter you could tell the difference when it starts growling and popping.

Have you actually driven one and heard it in anger?

Soldato
You could have fooled me. It hasn't ruined it for me and sounds rather good. i doubt wheter you could tell the difference when it starts growling and popping.

Have you actually driven one and heard it in anger?

I wasn't trying to fool you!!

Why would I swung be the acoustics of fake engine noise? For me nothing comes close to the real thing...

Just my opinion really, deal with it

Soldato
Had my M5 just over a year now, I wanted a four door car with good practicality and some oomf, I looked at getting various cars ST220s, A6 3.2, 530i, 540i but after seeing this 2 years ago I kept holding out for a similar specced M5 and it came back on the market 2 years later so had to have it.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

Associate
My first BMW ...... Yea I know it's not a car.:D

DSCF1577.jpg

The second e92 335i .......

IMG_0779.jpg

Interior...
IMG_0578.jpg

My current one X6 40d .....

IMG_1663.jpg

Loved the 335i but the wife needs a new hip due to car accident in 2006 and getting in and out of it was getting a real issue so sadly it went. However the X6 is great and I have no regrets on the swap especially with the fuel prices as they are.

Man of Honour
Oh here comes a tractor

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

My 120d

Owned it for close to 2 and a half years now, and despite me wanting a bit more speed from time to time and having the odd spell where I'm bored, I do love it and it is reasonably fun to drive when I want it too be.

Bring on the diesel hate

Last edited:
Soldato
Here is my current E46 330D. I've had it for almost 18 months now and I'm relly enjoying the car. It's an auto with beige leather. Coming from a 205 GTi it certainly feels well put together and although it's no super car, it's fast enough for me.

With our first child recently arriving I'm realising how utterly **** it is for luggage space though. Enough for a pram and that's about it so we may be upgrading to an estate of some kind. If we keep the car I will be getting some tints for it as Matilda (the baby) does get a little bit blinded in the back. It's a fine line between tints for purpose and looking like a drug dealer though. What have other people gone for percentage wise with tints? What are BMW's standard tints?

Soldato
Currently have 2 M Power machines.

Daily Drive, e46 m3, Carbon Black, Kiwi interior:

Had it a few months, can't fault it, great great car, fairly standard, considering coilovers/csl wheels etc. (yes that badge was removed!)

Had this one 5 years, z3M Coupe, Imola Red, Dark Grey/Black interior, currently sorn:

Running H&R arbs, KWv3 coilovers, Supersprint exhaust.

Soldato
I'm so jealous right about now :(

Oh here comes a tractor

My 120d

Owned it for close to 2 and a half years now, and despite me wanting a bit more speed from time to time and having the odd spell where I'm bored, I do love it and it is reasonably fun to drive when I want it too be.

Bring on the diesel hate

Think this might be my next purchase. I'm sure I seen 58mpg figures from the diesel engine somewhere, possibly Parkers. Accurate?

Back
Top Bottom