1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, 12 Apr 2012.

1. xs2man

Mobster

If the wait was just for a courtesy car, then you wouldn't have had to fork out for the repair surely? Or upteen days as the repair would surely only take a day or two, which would have been much cheaper than footing the bill yourself.

2. timbob

Mobster

What about the intervening three weeks that I need a car for work? My car had a gaping hole in the water pump, so was not driveable.

It was three weeks (or more) of hire car costs and a free repair, (£25 per day for something bargain basement - cost £500), or pay c. £350 to get it done myself the following day, squeezed in down he local garage.

3. J1nxy

Mobster

Did you not contact Skoda direct and ask them to arrange for a car? BMW assist when a car is off the road due to warranty work and no car is available from the dealer direct will arrange for a hire car in the interim period.

4. timbob

Mobster

Yep, I got a flat "no, sorry". My car was over the two year "full factory warranty" category, and only in the more basic "up to three years old" warranty category... Or something. I seem to remember being very cross at the time!

5. xs2man

Mobster

You said the wait was for the courtesy car? Changing a water pump does not take 3 weeks. Even the semi-trained monkeys that work at main dealers. It's a day or two worth of work, tops. So a day or two of hire car. Not 3 weeks. It's not like you would have needed the hire car until they get you the courtesy car, only for them to do the actual job.

Or am I missing something / you not telling something? Doesn't make sense is all.

6. timbob

Mobster

I don't understand?

They need the car for a whole day to do the work. I can't get to work without a car, and can't take any time off. Therefore I need to book the car into the garage on a day when there is a courtesy car available - earliest such date was 3+ weeks away...

The earliest date they could fit me in for the work (with no courtesy car) was only a few days sooner - still a two and a half week wait or more.

7. Voxination

Chooser of poor weather meets

Cool cool :) Not yet lol, things are all up in the air with what I'm doing work wise, so changing car is taking a slight back seat for the time being :)

8. xs2man

Mobster

You never said that though. You said that you were only waiting on a courtesy car, not that they couldn't fit you in until 2 1/2 weeks later to do the actual work.

My point was that, as you say, the work only takes a day, so that would only be a day or so of hire car, since I asked if the courtesy car was all they were waiting on and you said yes.

So I guess you went outwith the network then to get it fixed, since you went out of warranty?

9. nas

Wise Guy

Went for option 1.

I now plan to purchase the comprehensive insured warranty; is it simple case of just purchasing it online?

Ive read that the vehicle has to sit in line with the servicing schedule but is it not BMW who have to assess this?

Apart from service stamps how do I know my car completely satisfies the criteria?

10. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

There is no other criteria. Just get a quote and buy online.

11. Scania

Capodecina

They seem to use noticeably more than others (such as the M52, I've had 3 M52's all of which barely touched it, even a >270k mile example) my X plate 325i M54 seems to be following the trend now, it's been using a litre every 2500miles or so recently, checked it yesterday, 1k miles after the last check and there was nothing on the dipstick at all! :eek:

No sign of leaks anywhere, not noticably showing any blue smoke, it's only done 98k miles too.

12. Gaygle

Capodecina

Just sold my 335i. Sad day but one of those things I guess. Got £11k for her in the end, which I'm not sureif it was pitched too low or what because I had so many enquiries and requests to view from genuine people.

13. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It's really bizarre how well everything seems to be holding its value these days. 11k for an 8 year old 3 Series seems bonkers but has probably meant your total ownership cost over 3 years is very low.

14. mjt

Capodecina

What forced the sale, if I may ask?

15. Dr House

Capodecina

Wow your cost of ownership has been very low.

16. Gaygle

Capodecina

Indeed, the running costs were quite high but probably offset by the good value it held.

Sold it because I'm not rich enough to have that kind of money tied up in a car when I have just bought a house. Painful to do as it was awesome and in fantastic condition, but one of those things in life we have to do. Also relishing not having to take the car to the dealers again! Too far away!

17. DAIR

Sgarrista

Ace Cafe: BMW Day

Went for my first proper outing in the 1 series yesterday. First stope. Ace Cafe!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that it was suggested a take a road trip to Stonehenge. During the drive I spotted signs to the Thruxton Race Circuit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Simon

Capodecina

What's the story with the car covering in writing ?

19. Jonnycoupe

Capodecina

Clearly a write off.

20. Kingy

Mobster

:D