BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Interesting. I'm basically after a car for no more than about £4k, but the cheaper the better, and really the £2k mark would be fine. Running costs I'm not so bothered about.

I'm coming from a Clio 182 which I sold over a year ago. I'm not really sure what I want,just something which is kind of fun to drive, and not just a normal car. I kind of like the classic look of these now.

Soldato

A friend of mine used to have one and I had the chance to drive it quite a lot. It was a lot better than I was expecting: the engine and gearbox suit the car really well, and despite being an old car, his felt surprisingly refined and well put together.

One thing I'd bear in mind is that the vast majority will require a suspension refresh. His one rolled like a boat when cornering and really didn't inspire a lot of confidence. But I suppose you can say the same for any old car, so I can't really hold that against it. He sold his for £900, but it was a saloon and had no service history, although plenty of receipts for maintenance. Unusually, it also happened to be completely rust free, unlike his old MR2 which I now drive :p

Soldato
Interesting. I'm basically after a car for no more than about £4k, but the cheaper the better, and really the £2k mark would be fine. Running costs I'm not so bothered about.

I'm coming from a Clio 182 which I sold over a year ago. I'm not really sure what I want,just something which is kind of fun to drive, and not just a normal car. I kind of like the classic look of these now.

They are good but I wouldn't say that much fun in stock form. Avus pack suspension is pretty soggy, it has really slow steering and the wheel is huge.
Mine had HSD suspension, X brace, e46 067 quick rack, all new MeyleHD arms, 350mm wheel and bucket seat. That made it a lot more hardcore and cost about twice what the car did. I used it for drifting and did a lot of body damage, sold it for 1k with all the nice bits on it. If only I knew they would have become sought after so quickly I wouldn't have bashed it up!

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
That also holds true for the E46 and E9x generations too. Put a good facelift E46 coupe/vert next to a prefacelift 316i saloon that doesn't even have colour match handles and you'd struggle to believe they are the same car! And don't get me started on the pre-facelift E90...

Wonder if it will go like this again with the 3/4 series in a few years...

Man of Honour
So, errr, bought an F10:

f10a_zps713c4777.jpg

f10b_zpsba150e38.jpg

Not had a chance to get any better pics yet :D

Man of Honour
Yup :(

I have been looking around for about 4-5 months now. Unless your budget is enormous and you can order yourself a new one or pay huge money for the odd rare one that pops up, you are basically stuck if you want a petrol one.

523i: Slow
528i: Ideal but found almost always in completely bizarre specifications. It's like they are always bought new by old people. So base spec with no options. Or the other extreme - every single option on the list but in Milano Beige paint.
535i: Rarer than a rare thing on a rare day. A whole two came up - one was very dark bue and had no Sports Auto Transmission. The other had Business nav :(

Basically, 99% of them are diesel and 90% of those are 520d's. I wasn't prepared to go 520d, it had to be a 530d. It's the newer N57 engine so it's probably about the least worst diesel you can get.

It's still really annoying people don't buy new petrol ones :(

Associate
In other surprising news the sun rose this morning and went down this evening.

Jokes aside hopefully this will prove to be the car you expect it to be and a worthy replacement for the e39.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26295688 said:
Yup :(

I have been looking around for about 4-5 months now. Unless your budget is enormous and you can order yourself a new one or pay huge money for the odd rare one that pops up, you are basically stuck if you want a petrol one.

523i: Slow
528i: Ideal but found almost always in completely bizarre specifications. It's like they are always bought new by old people. So base spec with no options. Or the other extreme - every single option on the list but in Milano Beige paint.
535i: Rarer than a rare thing on a rare day. A whole two came up - one was very dark bue and had no Sports Auto Transmission. The other had Business nav :(

Basically, 99% of them are diesel and 90% of those are 520d's. I wasn't prepared to go 520d, it had to be a 530d. It's the newer N57 engine so it's probably about the least worst diesel you can get.

It's still really annoying people don't buy new petrol ones :(

A diesel and black leather?? Where's the real fox and who's hacked his account ;)

Man of Honour
I thought you always said how boring black interiors are.... :p

They are, but I'm a boring person and this is a boring car :D Plus it's hardly without precedent as my 530i also has black leather and wood trim :D

Oyster/Black is the best colour combination on the F10 but it's typically found with the darker paint colours.

Man of Honour
Are you keeping the old E39 as well?

Yup, it's worthless and immaculate, I love it, I'll have it for ever. No reason not to really as it's not even expensive to insure with multicar policies etc. The E39 is still, IMHO, the best car BMW ever made and I'm really pleased I've got a nice one. I think its like you and that classic Mini :D

In 20 years time somebody with a beard might find it interesting.

Back
Top Bottom