BMW and M Power Owners

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Its amazing how old it looks (in a cool old retro way) its almost blending into what a mint E34 looks like.

Love it but its not worth big money like that :p

Associate
no longer the case (according to Google) - if the car's colour has changed the apparently the DVLA now need to be informed (as well as insurance). It's even now being quoted on website for wrapping companies (e.g. 1st hit on my google: http://www.vehiclewrapfilms.co.uk/content/2014-04-03-dvla-vehicle-wrap-registration-changes)

At the end of the day, if you car is stolen and registered as red, but it's wrapped as white, then surely you would appreciate the police to be looking for a white car instead of red?

That was my thinking, along with getting pulled over every time you were caught by ANPR. My car is listed as blue, yet is so grey that I genuinely think a copper would pass it by. How would the DVLA know if I wrapped it electric blue?

As said I only want the same colour just to get rid of the stonechips, I'm not actually planning on drastically 'modifying' it until my insurance drops to a less testicle-shrinking price. If it's not legally viable I'll drive a stonechipped car and like it. :D

Caporegime
Its amazing how old it looks (in a cool old retro way) its almost blending into what a mint E34 looks like.

Love it but its not worth big money like that :p

I'm surprised they didn't remove the M badge...

They seem to be smoking something odd so far as their pricing goes....

I love e38's but £18,995 for a 1996 750i? Its not even a facelift :/

http://hexagonclassics.com/cars/bmw-750i-saloon-automatic-1996/

That was my thinking, along with getting pulled over every time you were caught by ANPR. My car is listed as blue, yet is so grey that I genuinely think a copper would pass it by. How would the DVLA know if I wrapped it electric blue?

As said I only want the same colour just to get rid of the stonechips, I'm not actually planning on drastically 'modifying' it until my insurance drops to a less testicle-shrinking price. If it's not legally viable I'll drive a stonechipped car and like it. :D

Our trucks at work are all registered as white, despite being green & red predominantly,due to wrapping, so far as police looking for a stolen vehicle I think they would rely on ANPR rather than physically looking for whatever vehicle in a respective colour.

Soldato
OK, talk me out of this (although being as fussy and pedantic as I am, the chances of it being remotely near expectations is minimal)..

Just got talking to a friend about looking at E46 M3's and 335i's.. She then told me how her boyfriend had previously had an estoril blue E46 CAB, really clean example he had for 3 years and spent a fortune doing all the usual mods (lights, boot spoiler, exhaust, lowering kit (I did raise an eyebrow at that!)).. And how he regretted selling 18 months ago, then shows me loads of pictures etc.. looked lovely..

So later on, I get a call from said boyfriend who tells me a bit more about his car, having spent 6K over 3 years on it, replacing all sorts trying to get it perfect but sold it to a mate as he needed to buy a house.. As it happens his mate is thinking of selling..
Now, the current owner is a bit of a chav, and pretty much hasn't spent (or had to spend) anything on the car as the guy I know had just had the Insp II done and a loads of bushes and other stuff changed before selling it, and it's only done 9K miles since. Lets just say, its immediately obvious when you talk to him he isn't doing old M3 stereotypes any good ;)

So the bad bits
- 88K Miles and 7 owners in total, although I know the previous owner and have a raft of info on what condition it was in and how much he spent on treating it like his baby.
- Lowered
- Drivers seat bolster worn (might need re-colour)
- CSL Rep alloys (I think, probably a bad point, but in excellent condition, no marks)

Good bits
- 04 Facelift.
- £4K bill from Local BMW dealer for reinforcement and boot floor replacement work
- Its a manual, so as much as I'd love an SMG in principal, cog-light woes scare me..
- Inspection II definitely done and Vanos health checked etc less than 10K miles ago with new discs/pads
- All the usual bushes and couplings have been replaced
- AC Schnitzer 3 piece Boot lip spoiler
- hard top is included (although 3 small oxidisation issues)
- HK Audio
- Factory Nav
- Heated seats
- Parking Assist
- Some headlight mod that blacks out some of the indicators (no idea, he said it was popular and made it look cleaner).
- front bonnet/bumper and rear bumper resprayed by main dealer (due to stone chips/dings) when the chassis warranty work was done (£800 in total for bumpers/bonnet) and he washed/waxed it as much as tend to do and swears it's in excellent condition.
- He looked at 12 cars before he bought this one, as it was the only one that was genuinely clean, he did 36K miles and spent 6K keeping it clean/making 'improvements'.
- New backbox + tips

I have been offered it for £9K..

Which genuinely has me thinking.. is it better to spend 9K and 'try' an M3, knowing its immediate history and knowing the major issues etc have all been sorted recently so whilst it'll hit 100K miles in a couple of years, it probably might possibly on a good day hold together and no doubt I'll not lose a horrific amount, or carry on the search for something far less miles/less 'improved' or wait for a decent 335i DCT to come along?

I will go to see it tomorrow of course, but just deciding if I should not even bother 'tempting' myself into buying a wreck because whilst I know the previous owner, and the current owner is a friend of his, he can't vouch that he hasn't overly abused it since he rarely sees him.

Last edited:
Soldato
My car is saying it is due its statutory inspection but it let's me edit the date, is this just the MOT? Next vehicle inspection is due in 33k miles or 2019 :eek:

Back
Top Bottom