1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, 12 Apr 2012.

1. wingman

Soldato

Still using Fuelly, no requirement to change.

Just found that have an app for it, too.

2. crinkleshoes

Perma Banned

Well... I drove the Tesla

annnnnnd.... ended up back at the BMW garage to talk to someone about an M6

I liked the M6 Gran Coupe a heck of a lot more than I thought I would...

Odd that I don't like the M5 despite them sharing the same engine.

For what it was, the Tesla was good... distinctly drives like a mid-engined car, as you would expect with the weight distribution and the handling/suspension has been setup well to handle the weight... but I felt it on the first bump and that feeling carries through the drive. It's a very very good car... just not for me... yet. A few more generations down the line when range to weight distribution improves - I can see myself enjoying one.

I was a little underwhelmed by "Insane Mode"... I was expecting it too feel quicker than my Boxster but find that after that little rush to 60, climbing up to 100 and the Boxster is the quicker car.

Last edited: 6 May 2016
  3. Havana_UK

Mobster

Is that because you liked the M6 so much, or because you were very underwhelmed or disappointed with the Tesla?

4. crinkleshoes

Perma Banned

I rather like the M6.

I've had a 640d (standard coupe rather than GC) as a rental car most of the times I've been back to the UK over the last few years and liked it from the start... I knew I'd like one with a proper engine and the combo of 540bhp engine + DCT + LSD really brings the car to life.

What surprised me is that I prefer the M6 GC over the Panamera. Definitely prefer it to the Mustang... although the Mustang was more of a contender to the M2, despite it's size being closer to the M6.

I think I'd have the NA V10 over the twin-turbo V8 though, given the choice... I fancy leasing something new for a change though, rather than going to the second hand market.

Wifey still wants an M2, but we have to wait til they have a new one in stock as I don't think I would ever buy a car without test drive first unless I was rolling in cash.

Last edited: 6 May 2016
  5. Stephen B

Wise Guy

if its more than 22% then it would be amazing, 20-22% pretty common

rumours of an updated media system and new wheels also, more than enough to keep my interest, but hey I'm sure your still getting over the shock of the very real possibility of it actually being built :)

the omission of a proper diff seems to be BMW strategy to preserve M2 orders, you can get one for M135/m235 but its a bit costly and you have to search under the bmw performance section

although even adding a diff still doesn't get it to M standard for the purists :)

6. Stephen B

Wise Guy

would a heavily discounted M4 comp pack not be worth considering ?, there was a UK deal recently for such with HK audio and a few extras for £52k factory order

appreciate this might not be available for a left hooker in your location

7. Schnippzle

Mobster

I found Insane Mode to be strangely addictive :D That slight "wooooosh" and then you're at 80mph. Haven't driven a Boxster so can't relate though.

8. crinkleshoes

Perma Banned

Not really, but thanks for the thought - I'm not fond of the M4... the Turbo I6 just doesn't excite me like the E9X V8 did.

:)

9. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I am very surprised it's coming, the 1 Series has barely a year left as you know and they didn't bother the B series engine in the 6 Series which has as long left.

10. Vita

Capodecina

Anyone going to bmw show at santa pod on the 19th of next month?

11. Voxination

Chooser of poor weather meets

Best looking car in the current BMW range in my opinion, just a shame the residuals are so weak.

12. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Why is it a shame? Makes it more affordable. Would you prefer used ones cost 90 grand instead of 50?

13. Voxination

No of course not, but even at £50k they're going to keep going down and be very hard to shift. It's the sort of car that you should probably lease/buy with a GFV in the agreement, then that way you know largely what you're in for with the highest cost of owning such a car (the depreciation). Either that or buy it without caring what the future value does and just enjoy the car.

14. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

So what you are saying is that the flagship ultra high performance luxury BMW is expensive to own and not accessible to many? Hold the front page :p

I find the opposite with the normal 6 in that they quote quickly collapse to 36k then slowly sit at around 30k for ever. Only crap ones sink below 25 despite being almost 5 years old whereas just over 30 can get you a sub 3 year old. Most strange.

15. Voxination

Yes exactly that :p

It's a weird market, no one really wants one but dealers are holding prices high. M6s (non GC) have been stable(ish) at £45k-55k for a while now with quite a low turn over in stock.

16. mrk

Man of Honour

Elephant offered me a deal on their personal injury, hire car and lost/damaged/stolen keys cover addon. £39 for it for the policy year.

My original genuine key has been playing up (weak battery) and I asked would this policy cover that key being replaced, they went away to confirm and it will be covered.

So for £39 I can now get a genuine key from BMW which would normally cost £139 to get from them. That's also cheaper than getting a spare key done via BMkeys. Should note that only BMW supplied fobs will read on the BMW dealer fob readers, all non genuine chips in copied keys will error out on dealer readers.

17. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Insurance doesn't cover existing faults surely.

18. mrk

Man of Honour

Well they've confirmed on a recorded call it's covered so I'm gonna make use of it in a few weeks time.

19. geekman

Mobster

Elephant are great at screwing up on recorded calls. They gave me a quote about £300 less than it should have been a couple of years ago, denied it, then honoured it when I got them to listen to the recording.

20. chroniclard

Capodecina

So whats the best option for getting music via the usb in a 2016 3 Series. Have a really old iPhone 3G(lol) that I could use or is there a better option of mp3 player.

Want to be able to use playlists.