BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
The Harman Kardon on the M235i I had was pretty good, its not up to the same level as the HK system in the 640d but it make the system at least listenable. The HK system in the 6 though is one of the best sounding systems I've had in a car, even compared to the B&W systems in my XFs.

Don
Glad to hear HK have improved, the setup was very woeful in my old e46 m3 I had.

Mind you the setup in my new Z4 which is classed as pro (read poverty) is utterly dire too :p

Maybe too many years as an audiophile is working to my disadvantage - focal install here we come :cool:

Soldato
I'm not surprised the HK's are better in the 6 series rather than the 2, the sound deadening differences alone must account for a large part of that improvement.

Associate
Ok cheers fox. Guess i could have done with that idrive as it looks like people with that can do it.

Just checked and no usb in the armrest. Is that not another idrive thing?

USB in the armrest was a media option on the E90 series and IIRC not tied to whether you had iDrive or not. If the newer Pro Nav was specced (around 09 onwards), then you get a USB in the Glovebox to allow map updates and the ability to transfer music to be stored on the Pro Nav HDD, but no direct USB playback from this USB port.

Combox then came in about a year after the release of the HDD Pro Nav, which handled Bluetooth phone connection + A2DP audio streaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok cheers fox. Guess i could have done with that idrive as it looks like people with that can do it.

Just checked and no usb in the armrest. Is that not another idrive thing?

Was looking at double din head units last night but its seems a right ******* to get it fitted and i just cannot be arsed with messing around with stuff like that anymore.

I looked into similar but you lose loads of functionality too, reverse sensor bongs and stuff like that lol. I have the "Professional" head unit with weird audio coding too. I am going to add my JL sub and amp into mine and upgrade my front door speakers at some point. Luckily I have USB, no idrive though, but got a diddy little 128GB with my music on which works good but doesn't flow folder to folder so it's a pain to navigate through the head unit when driving.

Soldato
Cheers andy, got neither though. Booo...

Yeah stormster, i also have the professional one which i think is the lowest spec one from what i have read. I didnt think of all this when i was buying, just wanted a 3.0 m sport convertible and that was that lol.

Seen headuints that supposidly work with the car so you get to keep all the fuctions plus more. Ide not risk it though unless i could find solid reviews, which i cant.

How easy would.it be to install a sub and amp? Seen them ones that go under the seat.

Man of Honour
I always mention this stuff when people are buying and they often say it doesn't matter but once you begin to live with the car you realise it's the little things that make the difference.

You can retrofit the USB interface btw which will give you USB audio without idrive.

Soldato
Yeah i can remember you mentioning it straight away when i posted pics in the SUYM's thread.

I never do a spec me thread though, i just go out and buy.

Anyway, retrofitting USB... please do tell? Thanks

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Ever since I bought my e46 330I I've always felt the throttle input is laggy. I've done many resets of the adaptations yet it still feels laggy. Is this just the characteristics?

Was always the case in my E46, could slam your foot to the floor and bring it back up again before the throttle reacted. Wonder if the cars with a manual box are different as it must make any form of downshift rev-matching a nightmare! My E92 is completely different however that may just be because it's an M car.

Glad to hear HK have improved, the setup was very woeful in my old e46 m3 I had.

I wasn't expecting much of the HK on my E92 given the tales I heard about the E46, but it's actually very pleasant to listen to :) Not going to win any awards, but good enough to not make your ears bleed whilst attempting to drown out the rattles :p

Soldato
The "Business" head unit is most basic, least powerful etc. I want to add my sub but I can't just tap from the rear speakers for a signal feed as it's high pass filtered with no option anywhere for you to turn this off like you would an aftermarket head unit. Shame as this would be mega quick and easy with the battery in the boot!

You can get BMW to apparently code your stereo so the audio output is "flat" on all speakers allowing you to add an amp/EQ to control it all yourself with the OEM stereo but it sounds complex and expensive :D So I need to tap into wires for the under seat subs for my signal feed for a little JL amp and sub. I will face facts the output from the OEM stuff is not very loud... but that's OK for now. Really I'd like to put a 4 channel in and amp some new door speakers and bridge the rears for the sub, but I don't know if a) I'll ever get around to it or b) if it's really worth the cost and aggro. Mine has the 4" full range door speakers but no tweeters, they're only about 15 quid so gonna add those in when I put my sub in to brighten the sound up a bit as the door speakers have pass through connectors to plug the tweeters straight in. I don't have it loud but the under seat subs just don't cut the mustard. Don't really want to waste money on this car like I usually do... but pretty confident if I turn the bass fairly low it'll stop the under seat subs distorting (obviously having tried this but leaves me with minimal bass) allowing me to get a bit more volume overall and then let my JL amp and sub do the work.

I was considering the Alpine upgrade (OEM; speakers, amp, wiring looms etc) and maybe swapping the under-seat subs to the 8" Earthquake ones people go on about but again I'm reluctant to spend loads due to an imminent house purchase. But I do miss a nice audio system!

Bring back my cheap and easy Ford's and Vauxhall's :D Easy work!

Last edited:
Associate
Was always the case in my E46, could slam your foot to the floor and bring it back up again before the throttle reacted. Wonder if the cars with a manual box are different as it must make any form of downshift rev-matching a nightmare!

I can confirm the same with a manual!

I've also got the standard gentle rev blipping whilst pulling away. Bloody E46's, they're a law unto themselves!

Back
Top Bottom