BMW E60 535d Review...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
JRS said:
What kind of crappy autobox are they using if it can't take 710nm? Mind I shouldn't be all that surprised, Euro manufacturers still haven't quite got the hang of building an autobox that a) lasts and b) can take stupid levels of power and torque. A standard Mopar 727 3sp or 4sp auto in 1969 could take more than that.

Merc auto boxes can handle 1000nm.....but then bmw autos aren't a touch on Mercs'

Don
My brother has one of these ( 535D M ) and I must say that it isn't bad at all , quick for a diesel and smooth at speed

on the downside the interior is not great and it still sounds like a tractor at tickover ( I have also had a go in a 545i and the engine in that is an entirely different class)

fuel consumption is more like 35mpg than 40

Associate
Tdh1987 said:
Someone referred to the 535D as being the 'thinking mans M5' Suggesting that anyone with sense would choose the 535D over the M5. I can't think of any reason why I'd chose the 535D, except for the initial purchase price. :p
do they share the same running costs?

the m5 sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the 535 ;)

Soldato
Oracle said:
The interior is nothing short of amazing. Totally luxorious and the quality of materials used really is second to none.
Couldn't disagree more. I abhor the interior design of modern BMWs and the materials used certainly aren't second to none. And no, before the fanboy accusations start, I'm not just talking about Audi here.

The nicest BMW interiors I've experienced are my girlfriend's father's E38 735i and Tom's E39 M5. Both of these put the current models to shame.

Associate
my brother has just had the pleasure of picking up the touring (estate) version of the 535d on thursday. The automatic version though, lucky s.o.a.b had it brought for him by his boss!

I'm a little confused though, is it a m5 version, it has the m-class wheels, and the door step seals have the silver m5 plates on them, though there is no badge on the back.

Good thing about him getting the car is that, mum and dad brought his is200 of him, and in 3 years time this beemer gets GIVEN to them when he gets his new car the is200 gets GIVEN to me!!

Woo yeah, bit of a step up from my 1.4 feista si

Last edited:
Man of Honour
slothmeister said:
I'm a little confused though, is it a m5 version, it has the m-class wheels, and the door step seals have the silver m5 plates on them, though there is no badge on the back.

It is a Sport. A lot of people forget that M-Tech do not simply make fast versions of regular BMW's. They also do styling, suspension etc etc for regular BMW's.

This is why you will find factory fit ///M badges on Sport model vehicles - door sills, etc etc. Becuase they are M-Tech cars, just not M5's.

Permabanned
OP
:rolleyes: Yawn, sometime i get so bored of the baiting on these forums its like being at Playschool!

But yes, I suppose I should have mentioned it earlier. As part of the £6k options the previous owner opted for a manual 6sp box at a cost of £1200 in lieu of the auto step box.

The E46 330d manual 6 spd boxs can take more torque (some 30nm more) than their auto / step equivalents. When the salesman mentioned the chip to me, he also stated that BMW recommend the manual over the auto for the best gains. As this comment was in line with the facts about other x30ds I didnt question it.

As for the pic properties, you might want to check again! :p

Interior, actually I agree, I also prefer E46 and E39 to new model E60 and E90, although I have to admit, the E60 is not as bad as people make out and I found it very pleasureable to drive. Not as driver angeld as previous models but still well thought and laid out.

EDIT: Actually, according to BMW, 530ds only come in Auto too, but i've seen and been in plenty of manual E60 530ds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom