BMW E60 535d Review...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Autocar's comment on the 335i:

Because, yes, with the nauseating predictability of a sudden return to form by the German football squad just as the World Cup gets under way, BMW has tried its hand at turbocharging and got it pretty much licked first time around
:D

Actually the comparison with the current M3 engine is an interesting one, the M3 engine having an extra 267cc to counter the turbos on the 335i. Looking at the figures, the M3 has 36bhp more but 26lbft less and does the 0-60 dash 0.3s faster. Given such similar figures you wonder why they've bothered with the new engine but then you look at the emissions and economy, which are both around 20-25% better than the M3.

As for the new M3, there's no way it'll have anything less than 400bhp, if only for marketing reasons given the new RS4 has 414.

Permabanned
OP
JRS said:
Frankly I trust BMW's own website a little more than some random review found through Google :)

Which is interesting as even BMWs own website is confusing.

You'll note from this image that the 530d and 535d only have one 0-62 time listed. The bracketed 0-62 times are for the auto/step boxes, so if what you are saying is correct, then the 530d only comes in a manual, and the 535d only comes in auto (although not clear from this image). If having an autobox is an option on the 530d then why (according to all these BMW 'oracles' (excuse the pun :p )) is the 535d not allowed a manual? After all, i'm sure all those who have commented have driven one! And why did I drive an option fitted manual 535d, and why do neither have a bracketed auto 0-62 time? Very helpful BMW, very helpful.

mark1e-bmw.jpg

In addition, someone mentioned about BMW building inadequate boxes for the torque. Unfortunately, they don't build their own boxes and are limited by Tremec's (and other GB manufacturers) design.

Well, at the end of the day, I enjoyed myself! :)

Next time (if I test drive one) i'll get the definitive answer on the Gbox and i'll be sure to spray OcUK all over the bonnet in brake fluid just to proove it :rolleyes:

Soldato
nice review,

lol I dont know if anyones played Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney on the DS, but its like one of these OCuk threads where people go all over the place finding evidence and cross examining the OP testimony...

lol

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Oracle said:
The bracketed 0-62 times are for the auto/step boxes, so if what you are saying is correct, then the 530d only comes in a manual, and the 535d only comes in auto (although not clear from this image). If having an autobox is an option on the 530d then why (according to all these BMW 'oracles' (excuse the pun :p )) is the 535d not allowed a manual?

Because the manual box can't handle the torque? They wouldn't offer an option that wouldn't work properly would they?

Yahoo! Cars said:
"So muscular is the 535d that BMWs standard manual gearbox would be turned to swarf by the torque of this engine"

Pistonheads said:
This oil burner produces enough torque to rip out trees, 413lb-ft to be precise. That’s almost 30 more than the M5. It’s so much twisting power that BMW can’t offer a standard manual box: it just doesn’t have one that could handle the power.

This is interesting.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Oracle, you said that Tremec make some of BMW's gearboxes - I'm sure I read somewhere that the one fitted in the current Viper is a Tremec T56, and that copes with more torque than the 535d has.

'course, they may just be giving the rubbish to BMW that the Mopar boys won't touch.....:D

***edit***

Mind, I'm forgetting one thing - size. Maybe the T56 doesn't actually fit, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest!

Soldato
JRS said:
Eh? The 335i isn't BMW's first time at turbocharging.....
Was waiting for that. Here's the following sentence from the magazine:

And by 'first time around' I am, of course, talking about the modern era and therefore ignoring the 2002 Turbo and the hilarious non-UK 745i from the mid-1980s

Caporegime
bored so i have some questions:

- why did the person who drove car in turn the front wheels when parked? parked it specifically for a good photo shot?
- were the 2 pics taken at different times? looks like the interior shot was taken with a different camera and outside rather than in the preproom.
- why have you blanked part of the number plate? a car that is in a showroom / forecourt that thousands of people drive past each day.

random boredom :]

Man of Honour
Morba said:

- why did the person who drove car in turn the front wheels when parked? parked it specifically for a good photo shot?

- why have you blanked part of the number plate? a car that is in a showroom / forecourt that thousands of people drive past each day.

To be fair I did both of these in the pictures I took of the 320Cd I had for the day and did a review on.

Permabanned
OP
Morba said:

- were the 2 pics taken at different times? looks like the interior shot was taken with a different camera and outside rather than in the preproom.

random boredom :]

Thank you for you reply, I will make my points to yours that I think are worthy of a reply.

Firstly, the car is for sale (or has just been received by the Dealer). One with common sense would assume that a photo of said car would be taken for advertisements, etc. As I was there when the car was preped for a photo, I took the same shot as the dealer. Would you really think a dealer would have such a pap camera phone as a Nokia 6230i ?

The interior photo was taken outside because thats when I (me) first opened the door to get a whiff of that new car smell.

The number plate was blanked out because I felt like it!

If these questions were posed just because you were bored, then MY GOD you need to get out more....maybe test drive some cars............its good fun! ;)

Man of Honour
Oracle said:
If these questions were posed just because you were bored, then MY GOD you need to get out more....maybe test drive some cars............its good fun! ;)

I would write to BMW HQ, they would be very interested to hear about your manual 535d experience.. it will be new to them ;)

Caporegime
test some cars at this time of night?
get a life? not likely, i have a wife and a baby. no time for a life of my own!

you get given the keys to a 535d manual car, and first door you open is the passengers?
new car smell, its not new, its a 55 plate, you would get the same smell from any car of that age that is still in a dealers :p

Caporegime
Just because BMW don't officially produce a variant of car without a manual 'box, does not for a moment mean no such examples exist.

Officially,for example, you won't find a manual e38 7 Series, but, such examples do exist. (One can be seen in the film "The Transporter" - a manual 750i, try & find one on Autotrader, doubtful, iirc, BMW built just 4 thus equipped cars.)

Equally, strange quirks in the 3,5 6 & most of the other models are about.

The same thing goes for most manufacturers.

Great thread peeps! :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom