board games for 8 people over xmas

really struggling to find something new to play this year. there will be 8 of us, which obviously limits as to what we can play as most games aren't designed for that many.

we've played all the usual party style one, and as fun as they are, they just are getting old having played them for the last many years.

hoping for any suggestions. ideally something easier than a game like gloomhaven as we're just looking to do this over the xmas period

a rough list of games we own
  • articulate
  • picturemania
  • exploding kittens
  • all sorts of card games (though open to interesting new ones)
  • sentinals of the multiverse
  • catan
  • codenames
  • chamleon
  • uno
i'd say the only thing we're generally not a fan of is trivia style games.

Man of Honour
Welcome to Dino World
Welcome to... Your perfect home
Black it out
Decrypto
Just One
Blockbuster
Skyjo
Sushi Go Party
Citadels
The Resistance: Avalon
Space Cadets - Dice Duel
Tsuro
Saboteur
Bang! The Dice Game
7 Wonders with the Cities expansion plays 8 iirc.
Incan Gold
Carcassonne (with some expansions plays 8)
Formula D
Viva Java
Ca$h & Guns

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I should add we are all adults 30 to 50 age range, so the not looking anything too child friendly...

Welcome to Dino World
Welcome to... Your perfect home
Black it out
Decrypto
Just One
Blockbuster
Skyjo
Sushi Go Party
Citadels
The Resistance: Avalon
Space Cadets - Dice Duel
Tsuro
Saboteur
Bang! The Dice Game
7 Wonders with the Cities expansion plays 8 iirc.
Incan Gold
Carcassonne (with some expansions plays 8)
Formula D
Viva Java
Ca$h & Guns

These all look good. If you could only have 4 which would you suggest.

Man of Honour
Forgot one..
Escape From the Aliens in Outer Space

These all look good. If you could only have 4 which would you suggest.
Personal favourites:

Welcome to Dino World / Welcome to... your perfect home. Both roll/flip and write games. Pretty simple but later on can be irritating as you realise you've screwed your own ability to place something.

Sushi Go Party - Good little card game, but the Party version has more complicated options for more advanced games and you can just pick an choose at random as well, and it's in a lovely tin.

Decrypto / Just One - Both deduction games. Decrypto is the more complicated one, but it's still pretty quick and fun to play. Just One is dead simple and a lot of fun, especially if drinking has been involved. Working out how peoples brains work can be hard.

Citadels - A hidden character game. Actually quite deep when you get to the higher player counts as you can have assassinations of other players and thefts going on.

I hate social deduction games, so I wouldn't go with The Resistance: Avalon or Saboteur... but that's just me. Socially inept.

Other ones we own:
Space Cadets Dice Duel, Blockbuster - not actually got to play these yet. Bah.. Lockdown...
Bang! The dice game, Skygo, Black it out - perfect for grannies. So simple. Black it out is a print and play.
7 Wonders is a modern classic imo. They've just released a 2nd edition, but I have no idea about the second editions expansions available.
Escape From the Aliens in Outer Space - Hidden movement game. Excellent with a bigger group. There is a print and play version available.
Carcassonne is just... Carcassonne. Tile laying nirvana. I can't remember which expansions take the payer count to 8, but the Big Box is 8 players. Language independent too, so gan import the french/italian/german version and just print the rules out from Boardgamegeek or wherever. No problems. It's what I did.

Some of these are on Boardgamearena.com, Tabletopia.com, tabletop simulator, some are available as phone apps or steam games too. Might be worth checking them out there (cheaper) before splashing the cash.

Pet Northerner
Don
seems very much like the chicken and fox game/resistance. am i wrong?

Not played those specifically but it's a deduction game I guess similar to Amongst Us. Where you're acting as a group to find and kill the warewolves whilst one or more in the group are secretly working against the party.

Another good one is Sheriff of Nottingham

Soldato
OP
Not played those specifically but it's a deduction game I guess similar to Amongst Us. Where you're acting as a group to find and kill the warewolves whilst one or more in the group are secretly working against the party.

Another good one is Sheriff of Nottingham
ok it looks very similiar to fox and chicken game (can't remember the exact name of that one) and resistance so will give that a skip as we play those already.

The resistance is one of my favourite to play, i just don't see the need to kind of duplicate what we have. seems there's a lot of similiar ones in this genre, same as with exploding kittens there seems to be a lot of games of this style now.

Pet Northerner
Don
ok it looks very similiar to fox and chicken game (can't remember the exact name of that one) and resistance so will give that a skip as we play those already.

The resistance is one of my favourite to play, i just don't see the need to kind of duplicate what we have. seems there's a lot of similiar ones in this genre, same as with exploding kittens there seems to be a lot of games of this style now.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157969/sheriff-nottingham is a little different, it's all about trade and is actualyl quite fun and deeper than it appears. Considering there's lying and bribing to be had!

Associate
A variant of werewolf I recommend is werewords, it keeps itself nice and brief with a wordgame element, the app is amazing at running the game, although not essential. We also like deception, as good high player count game. For something more from the party game genre, Monikers and Telestrations are both always hits too.

Soldato

ONUW isn't a duplicate of The Resistance. In The Resistance you're trying to identify the entire red team based on the known results of the missions. In ONUW nobody knows what happened during the night and you're all trying to reconstruct the true events based on what people claim they personally did. Most players have a role that lets you look at a card or change a player's card without them knowing about it - and the team you're on is determined by the card you end with, not the card you start with. One popular tactic is for someone to claim Troublemaker (who swaps two cards without looking at them) and to say he swapped A and B. A says "Ah, well I was a Werewolf so B must be a Werewolf now" - upon which the claimed Troublemaker admits they were lying, so A is still a Werewolf. And to add extra confusion there are two third parties who are usually both trying to get lynched; the Minion who is not a Werewolf but wins if the Wolves do, and the Tanner who wins alone if he is lynched.

The big advantage of ONUW is that games take at most 15 minutes. That alone was enough for it to completely replace The Resistance in our group. Even the person who normally hates lying enjoys it, although she's since discovered Cockroach Poker and enjoys that more.

Soldato
OP
The big advantage of ONUW is that games take at most 15 minutes. That alone was enough for it to completely replace The Resistance in our group. Even the person who normally hates lying enjoys it, although she's since discovered Cockroach Poker and enjoys that more
Thanks for that. Does sound very fun, however this actually turns me off. I want it to last a good hour or more :p

Back
Top Bottom