Bomb Iran?

Soldato
the iranian leadership wouldnt care if they killed millions and their country was destroyed as they firmly believe they are doing the right thing..their whole belief system supports this

in the west it would only be a last resort as it would assure mutual destruction

In my opinion that's the wrong mind set. I don't see any of the big wigs blowing themselves up in the name of Allah, only the weak, the desperate and the easily lead people that those people in power can poach to do their bidding through the mechanism of Religion. Their Religion has nothing to do with it therefore, it is just a mechanism to of control for those who are power hungry. In which case I don't believe that Iran, as a state, would use nuclear arms as an agressor but just as a deterrent like all other states who posses nuclear capabilities. The thing that does bother me about Iran having nuclear arms is just how easily could the resident lunatics in that country obtain a nuclear device? Could the state safely possess that material. Pakistan springs to mind here.

Permabanned
Iran was a propped up monarchy/dictatorship, propped up for one reason, oil, Iraq was the same, Saddam was propped up by USA and was an 'approved' dictator for the sake of oil and his penchant for being hostile to Iran, his house boy permit went out of the window when he decided to invade Kuwait.

...which he did with the implicit approval of the Yanks.

Soldato
I see, it just seemed to come across like it was true fact.

Ha, I think you're in the wrong place for 'true facts'. There is no such thing as true facts when I say things like "too far away, too big, facilities too well protected, too geopolitically important, too likely to retaliate..." It's clearly hyperbole to make the point that in my opinion nobody is going to bomb anyone. By the way, that's not a 'true fact' either.

Associate
^ Depends what has been published about what known aircraft their airforce use. Both sides could have long range fighter aircraft. Its rumoured the Iranians might have the Su-30. Which could easily get to Israel and back, and by looking at the kit that Israel use and is public knowledge it wouldnt suprise me if they had several squadrons of long range multi role fighters or bomber aircraft. If they can afford double digits of 2 types of apache AH-64, they can afford the fighters that will get them to anywhere in Iran and back.

Soldato
^ Depends what has been published about what known aircraft their airforce use. Both sides could have long range fighter aircraft. Its rumoured the Iranians might have the Su-30. Which could easily get to Israel and back, and by looking at the kit that Israel use and is public knowledge it wouldnt suprise me if they had several squadrons of long range multi role fighters or bomber aircraft. If they can afford double digits of 2 types of apache AH-64, they can afford the fighters that will get them to anywhere in Iran and back.

Or just A2A refuel through Iraq. I mean it's hardly like it's difficult to fly through Iraq, civilian jets were flying through there when no-fly zones were in place!

Associate
Wow, I spend a day away from this thread and 3 more pages appear! Just caught up.

Or just A2A refuel through Iraq. I mean it's hardly like it's difficult to fly through Iraq, civilian jets were flying through there when no-fly zones were in place!

I don't know what Iran's air to air refueling capability is but I don't expect it's better than Israels. Israel would only be able to support 20 aircraft as far as Iran (and back). No where near enough to support a serious attack.

The air exercise conducted by Israel that is widely believed to be a dry run for an attack on Iran reportedly used over 100 F-15 and F-16s.

Hence the request to the US to purchase the KC-767J tanker.

Until either side increases their air to air refueling capability they won't be doing much bombing.

Both sides developing cruise missiles and having subs could give them another way to strike at each other.

Soldato
Iranian defence minister today, just about sums them up really.
The two longer-range missiles, the Shahab-3 and the Sejil, tested on Monday morning could reach Israel, and are clearly been shown off as a deterrent against any pre-emptive Israeli strike on Iran's nuclear facilities.

"These are long-range missiles and can hit any target in the region," said General Hossein Salami, head of the Revolutionary Guards Air Force.

Ahmad Vahidi, the defence minister, was even more specific, warning Israel against any air strike and using the inflammatory, threatening language that has alarmed the West.
"If this happens, which of course we do not foresee, its ultimate result would be that it expedites the Zionist regime's last breath," he said.

He said if Israel attacked, its "lifespan, which is today coming to an end, would be speeded up".

Soldato
Wow, I spend a day away from this thread and 3 more pages appear! Just caught up.

I don't know what Iran's air to air refueling capability is but I don't expect it's better than Israels. Israel would only be able to support 20 aircraft as far as Iran (and back). No where near enough to support a serious attack.

The air exercise conducted by Israel that is widely believed to be a dry run for an attack on Iran reportedly used over 100 F-15 and F-16s.

Hence the request to the US to purchase the KC-767J tanker.

Until either side increases their air to air refueling capability they won't be doing much bombing.

Both sides developing cruise missiles and having subs could give them another way to strike at each other.

I was referring to the Israelis more so on this. I wonder if they would be granted use of airfields in Iraq.

Back
Top Bottom