Boomer and Piers Morgan destroy the internet in Welsh village.

Soldato
My brother just told me of this story and it's equally fascinating and mad at the same time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180

TL;DR Boomer has an old TV that that he was turning on at 7am to watch GMB and the TV was creating electrical interence that was nuking the internet in his village. Took Open Reach 18 months to find the problem which included replacing the whole infrastructure.

Soldato
Would a TV dishing out that much electrical interference affect the physical broadband link or was it more like everyone's WiFi went down.

Man of Honour
Oh dear, did he contribute to OP not being able to buy a house outright straight after getting a first at university and expecting to walk into a CEO position because he's only ever been told he's brilliant at everything?

Soldato
I'm surprised it dished out at a high enough amplitude. Maybe the village has a wireless link to the exchange, then cables to the properties. So maybe he loved next to the link.

Man of Honour
I think Boomer is typically used in respect of purportedly ‘aggressively ignorant’ people of a certain generation, but I don’t think many people of any generation could predict that turning on a TV would have such an impact.... I wouldn’t have a clue!

Thread title aside, it is really interesting. If it could knock out the internet who knows what else it could be doing!

Soldato
I'm surprised it dished out at a high enough amplitude. Maybe the village has a wireless link to the exchange, then cables to the properties. So maybe he loved next to the link.

Either that or it was interfering with the equipment that terminated the fibre link into the village. Pulses of light inside a strand of glass aren’t affected by EMFs short of small nuke.

Transmission breaker
Don
Yeah, certainly was the fault of the "Boomer", I mean why hold onto that perfectly decent TV with a sensible sized screen that still worked when he could have gone out and bought a 70+ inch LCD (Which will need replacement every few years) to see the face of a divisive TV celebrity in 4k every morning.

Just an older gent minding his own business watching TV. No need to label him like that :)

I also think there is more to this than the story is letting on!

Soldato
OP
I don't see anywhere in the story where the age of the television owner is discussed, or how it would be relevant if it were mentioned.

What a strangely worded thread.
They owner of the TV was interviewed by Piers on GMB, I found it after posting on YT but have not posted it because it's Piers Morgan and OcUK forums. But they said it's a "vintage" TV so it's safe to assume it's old, probably 50's or 60's.

Piers is such a great guy and humanitarian though and he's personally bought them a new 65" UHD TV.

Man of Honour
I think Boomer is typically used in respect of purportedly ‘aggressively ignorant’ people of a certain generation, but I don’t think many people of any generation could predict that turning on a TV would have such an impact.... I wouldn’t have a clue!

Thread title aside, it is really interesting. If it could knock out the internet who knows what else it could be doing!

Baby boomer post war generation that all the privelaged kiddieflakes blame for everything and are doing super clever tiktok memes about. As gen X I am great and surrounded by generations of bell ends on boths sides.

Caporegime
Baby boomer post war generation that all the privelaged kiddieflakes blame for everything and are doing super clever tiktok memes about. As gen X I am great and surrounded by generations of bell ends on boths sides.

Don't worry, your day will come... boomers will die off and perhaps the scales will tilt towards the notion of "wait a minute, Gen X hasn't had any flack and check out the huge pensions they all have"... bye bye triple lock... "omg Gen X moaning about their pensions being raided again, can't expect gen Z to fund your care home stay just because you let boomers shaft you"

Back
Top Bottom