Boomer and Piers Morgan destroy the internet in Welsh village.

Soldato
OR didn't replace the "whole infrastructure". They replaced a section of cable and then found it by a device which detects radio waves.

Cables act as aerials for electric interference so it disrupts the broadband signal.

There are loads of electric devices that can cause small scale disruption.

When we're all on FTTP this electrical interference will be a thing of the past.

Soldato
They owner of the TV was interviewed by Piers on GMB, I found it after posting on YT but have not posted it because it's Piers Morgan and OcUK forums. But they said it's a "vintage" TV so it's safe to assume it's old, probably 50's or 60's.

Piers is such a great guy and humanitarian though and he's personally bought them a new 65" UHD TV.

Described as a 16" Bush tv here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...uses-broadband-outages-village-18-months.html

Probably just a CRT tv that is now suddenly "vintage", probably make a come back in a few years as being retro.

Permabanned
maybe it shared a socket with 'the internet', just not enough power for both

Flyback transformer probably arcing and putting out a lot of broadband noise. I still watch a CRT TV, probably because I'm a boomer, and whatever else the younger generation throw at us. (Plus I am notoriously tight and don't watch much TV anyway...).

Soldato
That seems incredibly unlikely, I'm not aware of that even being a thing BT/OR use.
Here is just one example. When it's more cost effective than using cables.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ireless-cabinet-broadband-scalpay-island.html

Looks like this instance was just the interference induced on old copper wiring.

Let's be honest, who here would have predicted an old tv?
You'd be surprised what emissions some old electronics can dish out.

Associate
Piers and Morgan?

Sounds like a detective series set in the 18th century

Or even more recent: By-the-book Detective John Piers is sent from Scotland yard to assist local Detective Trevor Morgan in solving a spate of murders in the Welsh valleys.

Cue corny dialogue like "That might work where you're from, but that won't work here in the valley, people have their own ways around here."

"So I guess we'll just go ask that sheep what happened shall we?"

Coming this Autumn to BBC1. Guaranteed to be corny and boring with a powerful message about overcoming cultural differences.

Soldato
We had an old C64 in the office for a while. When we turned that on it would screw up the screen on a certain person's phone, even from the other side of the room. Really weird :D

I guess the old devices were not shielded all that well.

Soldato
Sounds like an utter failure to identify the issue by the ISP, when the problem could have been sorted for less than £300 buy buying some old dear a new tv.
I wonder how much in engineers time BT wasted?

Back
Top Bottom