Boot-up crocked

Associate
Not sure if this is the right section for this problem but I made my best judgement call.

I have a laptop on which I dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu, unfortunately I think I have corrupted something quite near the root of the bootup procedure today. I can no longer get to the point after the Samsung boot screen where it gives me the option of which OS I want to boot into, it just waits endlessly on a black screen with a white blinking cursor.

I'm currently downloading a copy of Ubuntu to boot from CD and recover what data I can, but is there anyway of recovering the OS install itself? It would be a bit of a pain to have to do a clean install of both Ubuntu and Win7 :(

Any help appreciated, thanks for reading.

As an aside, I'm sure if anyone replies they will ask how I did it. I accidentally booted into Samsung recovery software before I broke it (ironically I can no longer get to this) and when I exited the software to restart, it got stuck in an infinite restart loop going from Samsung flash page to blank screen then back again. The only way to get out of this seemed to be to hold the power button, but I guess that was my biggest mistake because that's what crocked it.

Back
Top Bottom