1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bootstrap for web development

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Rikmeister, 22 Mar 2021.

1. Rikmeister

Gangster

Itching to do some web development after a long pause, I've almost certainly decided to use Bootstrap. Before I invest my time and effort I'm checking here for any thoughts on Bootstrap. Is there a better alternative?

2. GravyMonster

Capodecina

Bootstrap are about to release v5 which removes the reliance on jQuery, so it's still a very worthwhile framework which is easy to use, configure and extend.

However what's 'best' for your situation is very subjective and use case dependent. If you want to know what else is available, here's a list of alternatives: https://hackr.io/blog/top-bootstrap-alternatives

3. Rikmeister

Gangster

Thanks that's very helpful.

I've used Foundation before but the others are at best only vaguely known to me.

4. john_s

Wise Guy

I do way more backend work than front end, but Bootstrap is my go to option if I do need to stick a quick UI on something.

5. Rikmeister

Gangster

Thanks, that's helpful.

What backend work do you do?

6. john_s

Wise Guy

Systems integration mostly... APIs, website to/from ERP, middleware, data feeds, etc.

7. planty

Wise Guy

Depending on your experience, you can't really go wrong with bootstrap. Bulma is very good though, and tailwind is also popular right now, although I haven't used that myself yet.

8. Rikmeister

Gangster

Thanks. I've got some experience. Enough to feel comfortable with taking on Bootstrap or similar. I'm not doing anything critical but like to know I'm on the right track before diving in.

9. McBain

Capodecina

Bootstrap is still very relevant, go for it.

10. Rikmeister

Gangster

Thanks, I will.

I thought v5 was still in alpha but I see Beta 3 was released a couple of days ago. As there are unlikely to be any major changes there's no reason not to go with Bootstrap 5 and skip 4 altogether.

11. Rikmeister

Gangster

Wow. Impressive. What languages/technologies do you use?

12. john_s

Wise Guy

C# and .Net Core usually. SQL Server mostly for data storage, though have occasionally used other kinds of storage. REST or SOAP services for the integrations. JSON or XML for the data feeds.

13. Rikmeister

Gangster

That's interesting. Is the XML for legacy apps or ongoing dev?

14. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

bootstrap is awesome. It's so clean and plenty of code to play with.

15. Rikmeister

Gangster

Thanks. I used version 1 years ago - it's moved on a lot since then.

16. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

Yeh it has, not be long and version 5 will be out. This is based on bootstrap 4. It's a sig rotator for forums with a control panel.

https://sigrotor.ml/

17. john_s

Wise Guy

Both... It’s sometimes dictated by the system you’re integrating with. Personally, I’d just choose JSON, but it’s not always something you get to choose.

18. Cooler running

Gangster

Bootstrap is the most popular web frontend library, it's popularity is no mistake as it is both powerful and accessible.
    The main reason you see for not using it, is that it's too popular. Most dev's can immediately spot the bootstrap without even opening the inspector, for that reason some devs avoid it so their project look "different".
    What I personally like is the number of integrations you see from bootstrap into popular JavaScript libraries such as https://react-bootstrap.github.io/ .

From what I've seen Tailwind is currently the hipster choice for people avoiding bootstrap, but I wouldn't pay much credence to the hipster argument personally.

19. Rikmeister

Gangster

I believe customisation has been made easier with version 5

20. Cooler running

Gangster

Customization has always been a thing with the frameworks as soon as they implemented a SCSS/Less version, the main issue has always been bothering to do it.
    Plus Bootstrap is a little more opinionated on it's appearance than the norm, at least in the base version it often assets colours and such.