Bosch Super 4 Spark Plugs

Man of Honour
Are these any good?

Denso Iridium ITV16#4 £45.00

A new generation of high performance spark plug that the world smallest Iridium electrode that is a mere 0.4 in diameter. The smaller the electrode the more concentrated the electric potential at the electrode. The stronger the the electric field, the lower the required voltage. As a result of this the engine starts easily, and the acceleration improves.
I have no idea what condition my spark plugs are in, is it worth getting these or are they a waste of money?

Caporegime
Matt82 said:
ill prefer my oil to just be normal and to be flowed round the engine by the oil pump. i doubt magnatex even sticks anyway and i definately would not want dirty, used oil staying in my engine after i changed it for fresh stuff

Well you best not buy fully synthetic oil as PAO Esters are surface active and really do cling like a magnet (despite not being branded as such).

Honest, you actually sound like a right idiot thinking a tiny amount of dirty oil is gonna do anything. Oils don't need changing cause of dirt anyway

Soldato
Well, if you don't want any used, dirty oil staying in your engine, you'd have to flush the whole system through a fair few times.

Associate
Matt82 said:
so when it "needs" changing, its going to stick and stay there. tell me how thats "great"

Have you changed your car oil recently? Notice that when the oil is added it's lovely and clean but after you have run the engine for 5 minutes it's filthy again, regardless of how long you let it drain for or what oil you use. This should give you an idea of how much fine dirt is left in the system after a basic oil change, so a little extra oil clinging to various surfaces will make virtually no difference to the amount of dirt left in the system.

Associate
Duke said:
Are these any good?

Quote:
Denso Iridium ITV16#4 £45.00

A new generation of high performance spark plug that the world smallest Iridium electrode that is a mere 0.4 in diameter. The smaller the electrode the more concentrated the electric potential at the electrode. The stronger the the electric field, the lower the required voltage. As a result of this the engine starts easily, and the acceleration improves.

I have no idea what condition my spark plugs are in, is it worth getting these or are they a waste of money?

They're very unlikely to offer any benefit over normal, cheaper spark plugs. Just change your plugs to whatever's specified according to the service schedule,

Soldato
CypherPunk said:
Have you changed your car oil recently? Notice that when the oil is added it's lovely and clean but after you have run the engine for 5 minutes it's filthy again, regardless of how long you let it drain for or what oil you use. This should give you an idea of how much fine dirt is left in the system after a basic oil change, so a little extra oil clinging to various surfaces will make virtually no difference to the amount of dirt left in the system.
i changed my oil about 3 weekends ago, it is still clear on the dip stick, around a thousand miles later. the previous stuff did come out dirty and only became dirty when after about 4000-4500 miles i put some engine flush in there and it practically went black (like diesel engine oil).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm sorry, this whole "sticky" oil malarky is starting to make me laugh. You don't seriously think loads of it is stuck up the sides of the engine do you? Do you seriously think that whatever tiny amount is left in there pollutes the new oil to the point that it's harmful to the engine? What about when you jack the car up then and the oil that doesn't run out the sump? You don't take the sump off and tip it about to get every last dribble out do you? What about the oil in the hydraulic lifters, sat at the top under the rocker cover, all down the capillaries feeding the bearings?

You can't get it all out. It's not because the oil is "sticking" in there, it just doesn't come out!!!

Soldato
agw_01 said:
:D Fantastic!

Bosch Super 4 plugs are supposed to be crap. I had some in my old car and they were ok. I swapped them out for some NGK's and found it ran a little smoother from cold, but that's about it.

No extra horsepower, although if your current plugs are really old, fitting new plugs will give a cleaner burn helping the car to rev smoother.

Also, magnetic oil, I like that! It's been proven that Magnatec isn't as good as everyone thinks. You're best off with a high-quality oil. Something like Silkolene or Millers.

Pretty much sums up what I was going to say. :D

Back
Top Bottom