Bought a flat that requires new electrics - What cabling should I install for whilst i'm at it?

Associate
Hi all,

As title says, bought my first small 750 sqft 2 bed flat. It has the original electrics from the 70s so we are getting it refreshed.

I wanted to take this opportunity to future proof the flat a bit though..but have no idea what i'll need.

Cat5e? Cat6? should I just powerline adapter it?

Speaker cables?

Hdmi cables?

Really have no idea what to do.

I'm a movie geek and a bit of a gamer and have virgin 350mb coming.

Also into smarthome tech with a bunch of hue lights etc.

Thanks!

Associate
might want to have a look into euro modules
definitely get cat6 hardwired to every room at least 2 for each room and at least 4 where the tv and the computer/office
might want to have a look at hdmi matrix for hdmi distribution
might want to install satellite coax distribution points as well

edit:
are you planning to add cctv?
also you might want to add electrical points for lights under kitchen cabinets

Associate
OP
No plans for CCTV as it's in quite a secure block

Could you explain what euro modules are? Or are they just a preffered brand?

Thanks btw!

Associate
Wire it up for PIR sensors for lights? Constantly begrudge the burden of having to raise my arm to switch on the light.
Wiring for speakers in the ceiling perhaps.

No other suggestions except data in the main rooms, tv and phone in bedrooms. (All the stuff I wish I had done in my house :( )

Soldato
Genuine question, what do you need 350mb broadband for if there's only two of you? Isn't it cheaper to get 200mb? You'll also need to look at bottlenecks. Unless you use Ethernet, how are you going to utilise 350mb all at once?

Associate
OP
The flat is essentially a frozen relic of when it was first built - so I am doing a complete rennovation and wanted to maximise it

Back
Top Bottom