1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought TFT at last!!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by ACPCUP, 7 Mar 2006.

1. ACPCUP

PermaBanned

Well, i bought my first TFT at last:

AG Neovo F419 19'' TFT.

Fingers crossed that it has no dead pixels etc.

2. Baddass

Don

excellent, you've been considering that one for a while haven't you? Let us know how you find it

3. james.miller

Capodecina

[​IMG]

lol. Nice one ACPCUP, welcome to the world of flat screens and less headaches:)

4. dale1uk

Wise Guy

let us know what you think of it, my mate has the 17" version and I'm well impressed with it considering the low price he paid. No dead pixels and gaming on it was great and I've been looking at the 19" one for myself.

5. ACPCUP

PermaBanned

Yea, will do guys. Been reading up on it for months trying to make up my mind!! With desk space at a premium and the CRT giving me headaches etc i have just bitten the bullet and gone for one!! Just hope it lives up to the reviews on it!!

6. Vegeta

Soldato

It will mate

7. ACPCUP

PermaBanned

Thanks. Looking forward to getting it and setting it up.

What is the best way to adjust the brightness as i have heard that a lot of TFT's can be very bright.

8. fish99

Soldato

Turning the brightness down usually does the trick :D

Scan the monitors OSD for other settings though, for instance the Samsungs have a gamma setting in the OSD too, which badly needs turning down on those screens. It's basically just a case of experimenting until you get something you're comfortable with. Also don't worry if your eyes feel a bit funny after using it for the first few days, that will pass.

I'm sure you already know this, but don't put any pressure on the panel itself while unpacking and setting it up, always pick it up by the casing.

Best of luck with it :)

9. ACPCUP

PermaBanned

I know you can turn the brightness down via the OSD but sometimes that is not enough! Is it best to do it through, Display, Properties? I have an Nvidia Graphics Card. Ta

10. fish99

Soldato

Nah, much better to leave graphics card settings on default and adjust the monitor. As soon as you start messing with graphics card colour settings, the graphics card isn't outputting a linear colour curve anymore, so you may find certain parts of the spectrum are compressed or even missing. Then you're left trying to compensate with the monitors controls, and it ends up looking a mess.

You should calibrate the monitor though. There might be an app on the CD to do that, or else Baddass will be able to suggest something.

11. ACPCUP

PermaBanned

Ok, thanks mate. Be interested if there is another way to alter the brightness.

12. pinkegobox

Wise Guy

you know you're screwed now... you can never use a crt again without somehow feeling like your using a really old and pants computer.

welcome to the glorious world of tft's :D

13. fish99

Soldato

That doesn't necessarily apply to everyone who switches from CRT to TFT btw.

14. ajgoodfellow

Capodecina

I'd wait for it to be delivered first and then see what you think - you might not want the brightness right down at its minimum settings :)

If you reduce the contrast level this will also reduce your maximum brightness level

15. pcfan

PermaBanned

What is the problem with the brightness then? Can't it be adjusted like a CRT?

16. ajgoodfellow

Capodecina

The brightness of a TFT can be adjusted like a CRT but TFTs are inherently brighter than CRTs

This means that they can be too bright for some even when set to their minimum brightness