Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Associate
Has anyone tired the Jim Beam Single Barrel, Amazon have it for £29.99, not sure if thats a good price, but it says it's on offer.

I've purchased several bottles of Jim Beam Single Barrel through the years, along with Makers Mark, Woodford etc.... etc...

In my opinion single barrel bottles can be a bit of a crap shoot. Generally distillers will only release the 'best' as single barrel, but there's no way to account for a difference in taste. It's not that it's bad, just a difference in taste. I don't mind that but some do.

As long as you don't expect the 'same thing' with every bottle of single barrel you'll be fine. If you want the same thing every time then avoid single barrel.

Soldato
I've purchased several bottles of Jim Beam Single Barrel through the years, along with Makers Mark, Woodford etc.... etc...

In my opinion single barrel bottles can be a bit of a crap shoot. Generally distillers will only release the 'best' as single barrel, but there's no way to account for a difference in taste. It's not that it's bad, just a difference in taste. I don't mind that but some do.

As long as you don't expect the 'same thing' with every bottle of single barrel you'll be fine. If you want the same thing every time then avoid single barrel.

Thank's for that.

Associate
Tried another, Jack Daniels old no 7 sour mash ltd edition. Was reduced from £32 to £20 on the big River.

It's a bit burny, but the bottle looks awesome.

Jack No. 7 on the rocks can be a bit burny, but I love it mixed with Coke. Somehow that seems bring out the natural sweetness of Jack No. 7. YMMV

Soldato
OP
Jack No. 7 on the rocks can be a bit burny, but I love it mixed with Coke. Somehow that seems bring out the natural sweetness of Jack No. 7. YMMV

I just drink straight, no ice.

To be honest, it's really growing on me. It is a little burny but you get used to it, and actually a really nice flavour on top. Not bad for a £20 bottle.

Associate
You know, third day of drinking it, and I am really liking this. I looked again and they are sold out on Amazon apart from some 3rd party sellers who are asking £40 for it.

So glad I got this one.

Very happy that you're enjoying it.

Bourbon, like any whiskey, has many levels of refinement. (yes, I'm aware that Jack is not technically a bourbon.) It's nice to see an appreciation of the more common expression of the art as that is often the basis upon which all others are formed.

Soldato
OP
Quite a good way to distinguish tastes.

I have a bottle of makers mark and pennypacker, both good bourbons in their own right, the later bring sour mash.

Quite destinctively different.

Aside from that, a n general I notice the price of bourbon is up a bit over the last 3-4 weeks, I keep an eye on the markets, Amazon local supermarkets and no good deals on at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Another one to add to the list, John B. Stetson, paid £29, been watching it for ages and not seen it go on offer and wanted to give it a go for a long time.

Very nice bottle actually, it's silky smooth, tried it straight after some Pennypacker. It's lacks the flavour punch of the Pennypacker, but also lacks the slight burn you get with that one also, and the flavour still isnt bad at all, so overall pretty damn good. I defo had worse bottles that I have paid more for.

Soldato
Wasn't sure where to post this, Sainsburys are doing Jack Daniels Honey 1l for £20, saw it online, went to my local Sainsbury's and the 70cl next to it is £25.

Wasn't anything to say the 1l bottle was on offer either, maybe a price error. Never tried it so thought I would give it a go.

Soldato
OP
Wasn't sure where to post this, Sainsburys are doing Jack Daniels Honey 1l for £20, saw it online, went to my local Sainsbury's and the 70cl next to it is £25.

Wasn't anything to say the 1l bottle was on offer either, maybe a price error. Never tried it so thought I would give it a go.

Let me know if it's any good.

I bought a bottle of wild turkey 101 which I guess is the slightly more premium version of the standard wild turkey, although I am aware there are others, rare breed etc.

Gotta say, not overly impressed. I mean I like wild turkey, it's a nothing special but not bad either, this one is nothing over the standard version imo, other than the price.

Soldato
Let me know if it's any good.

I bought a bottle of wild turkey 101 which I guess is the slightly more premium version of the standard wild turkey, although I am aware there are others, rare breed etc.

Gotta say, not overly impressed. I mean I like wild turkey, it's a nothing special but not bad either, this one is nothing over the standard version imo, other than the price.

Will do.

I've tried the 101 as well, wasn't that impressed either. I recently tried Jim Beam double oak which I thought was pretty good.

Soldato
@BUDFORCE

It's nice, very smooth and sweet, If you don't like anything to sweet you may not like it, but then this is a liqueur, it's similar to Amaretto in a way in terms of sweetness but with a very slight whisky kick I'm drinking neat with ice.

Can't type for toffee
Don
JD Honey is awesome, if a little too easy to drink I deffo recommend at least a try.
It also makes phenomenal gravy! Gives it a really nice taste.

Jim Beam Double Oak is cracking for the money tbh

I see amazon are doing tincup at £22 a bottle that's well worth a try too

Back
Top Bottom