Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Associate
(like I say I much prefer scotch, and treat rye and bourbon like mixers rather than sippers)

To each his own but I'd strongly encourage you to use the cheapest bourbon you can find if it's just for mixing. Be a shame to make a Woodford & coke or Makers & coke imo. And those aren't even in the super premium category.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend me a nice rye whiskey for up to around £30 from Amazon? I've just been gifted a voucher, and thought that trying something new would be a good way to spend it.

I nearly posted earlier, but, given thread remit, has been expanded to rye + bourbon

I'm looking for this at £30 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JYTFNU/ , fathers day/xmas present
Rittenhouse Straight Rye Whisky

Soldato
To each his own but I'd strongly encourage you to use the cheapest bourbon you can find if it's just for mixing. Be a shame to make a Woodford & coke or Makers & coke imo. And those aren't even in the super premium category.
Honestly I've never drunk much bourbon but I have taken a liking to the odd Manhattan in lockdown and as of last week just discovered a Boulevardier (negroni with bourbon/rye instead of gin, very nice!). Besides a bottle of Four Roses years ago, I've just bought Woodford Reserve when it's on offer. £20 last week. That'll do me fine.

Soldato

What utter nonsense. This is like people putting cheap tonic in their G&Ts. The alcohol gives a huge amount of flavour, mouth feel and texture to a cocktail. Sure, you can get away with cheap tasteless booze if it's being watered down heavily with soft drinks but if the alcohol is the star of a cocktail (like a Negroni, Old Fashioned, Manhattan, Martini, Margarita, etc) then you can and should use a good tasting spirit for it. I may not use a super expensive vodka for a Bloody Mary, but I'd certainly would in a Martini. Your post is madness.

I nearly posted earlier, but, given thread remit, has been expanded to rye + bourbon

I'm looking for this at £30 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005JYTFNU/ , fathers day/xmas present
Rittenhouse Straight Rye Whisky

Ah, that's a phenomenal price for Rittenhouse! Definitely putting it on my watchlist.

Soldato
What utter nonsense. This is like people putting cheap tonic in their G&Ts. The alcohol gives a huge amount of flavour, mouth feel and texture to a cocktail. Sure, you can get away with cheap tasteless booze if it's being watered down heavily with soft drinks but if the alcohol is the star of a cocktail (like a Negroni, Old Fashioned, Manhattan, Martini, Margarita, etc) then you can and should use a good tasting spirit for it. I may not use a super expensive vodka for a Bloody Mary, but I'd certainly would in a Martini. Your post is madness.

Ah, that's a phenomenal price for Rittenhouse! Definitely putting it on my watchlist.

Hugely agree here, as you say especially in something like a Martini where it can make/break the cocktail.

Soldato
In his defence, he had mentioned cocktails/mixes involving coke, where the spirit could be a bit more masked , than a negroni ....

Soldato
Can anyone recommend me a nice Rye, I have only ever tried Bulleit Rye which I like, but want to try others.

It sounds like the one mentioned above is a good one to try, I only drink whisky straight, perhaps with a little ice, so is the above a good choice?

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone recommend me a nice Rye, I have only ever tried Bulleit Rye which I like, but want to try others.

It sounds like the one mentioned above is a good one to try, I only drink whisky straight, perhaps with a little ice, so is the above a good choice?
Sazerac Straight Rye is pretty well renowned.

Soldato
OP
Wild Turkey Long Branch.

It's not bad, better than Regular Wild Turkey, and definitely better than Wild Turkey 101 which I didn't think was very good at all, particularly given the price.

It's not worth the £40 asking price though, not that I paid that

EDIt: after a week of drinking this I think my initial post was a bit critical, this is actually really good, I still stand by its not quite worth the £40 price tag but well worth a try if you every get the change/its on offer.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Peaky Blinders Bourbon

This isnt actually as bad as I had though, thought it was going to be awful, and I have tried worse for more money.

It's not amazing its a bit harsh (particularl when tried stright after drinking the Longbranch) but its ok.

EDIT: This one really grew on my as I was drinking it, very good for £22 bottle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom