Brand new i5 bundle overclocking gone haywire

• Thread starter Deleted member 88651
  • Start date

Deleted member 88651

D

Deleted member 88651

OP
Sorry for my lack of knowledge about the issue. I entered the AI tweaker tab and there is a setting under "CPU Voltage Mode : manual" named "Fixed Voltage" which was originally set by OCuK to 1.34375. Increased that by two notches up to 1.5000 if i'm not mistaken and still no go. I'm not sure if I tweaked the correct settings as I'm not sure what core volt actually refers to. Thanks for your help

Deleted member 88651

D

Deleted member 88651

OP
I'm quite sure I only hit the + button twice. As I already said the original "Fixed Voltage" was set to a value of 1.34375. However "Current CPU Core Voltage" remained fixed at 1.144 despite the tweak.

Associate
im only @ 1.3000 and im running an i7 920 @ 3.8ghz/4ghz way too high bring it down two notches. what temps are you reading? whats the memory and qpi multiplier?

Soldato
im only @ 1.3000 and im running an i7 920 @ 3.8ghz/4ghz way too high bring it down two notches.

Negative

You're running an i7 920. This is a i5 750. Very notable difference in voltage needed to OC.

Mine is doing 3.472ghz at 1.25V. i5s need more voltage to OC. i7s on 1366 are better overclockers, they can go faster for less extra voltage.

Associate
I'm now running at 3.8GHz on my i5 bundle from OCUK at 1.33125v.

I think that two notches from 1.34375v that OCUK suggested EA25 did should be about 1.3750 and hence no where near the 1.5000v he now has.

Deleted member 88651

D

Deleted member 88651

OP
Sorry guys my bad.

Original value of "Fixed Voltage" was 1.34375 ..... up two notches ..... 1.35625 (increments of 0.00625V)

I don't know if they are related but underneath "Fixed Voltage" there is a reading which I cannot alter labeled "Current CPU Core Voltage". It reads 1.144V both before and after the weak.

Associate
Sorry guys my bad.

Original value of "Fixed Voltage" was 1.34375 ..... up two notches ..... 1.35625 (increments of 0.00625V)

I don't know if they are related but underneath "Fixed Voltage" there is a reading which I cannot alter labeled "Current CPU Core Voltage". It reads 1.144V both before and after the weak.

"Current CPU Core Voltage" should reflect the changes you are making after saving the settings and rebooting (you are saving the new settings?)

Deleted member 88651

D

Deleted member 88651

OP
Yes of course i'm saving the settings and rebooting after tweaking. The results are the same symptoms and instability. For some reason "Current CPU Core Voltage" is remaining constantly 1.144V before and after "Fixed Voltage" tweak

Deleted member 88651

D

Deleted member 88651

OP
Any more ideas on this? Because OCuK are taking days to reply to webnotes which i'm posting on the issue

Deleted member 88651

D

Deleted member 88651

OP
I managed to make it work by reducing dram frequency from ddr-1720 to ddr-1376 with a combination of BCLK frequency = 172 and CPU ratio setting set to 20. Bootet into windows correctly and launched CPU-Z. Now the overclock is fluctuating, at one moment it read 3.440 ghz and after a couple of second it goes automacilly down to somewhat like 1.2Ghz. Besides I haven't tested stability yet. Temps are somewhat around mid-40's with a vcore of ~1.328 V

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I managed to make it work by reducing dram frequency from ddr-1720 to ddr-1376 with a combination of BCLK frequency = 172 and CPU ratio setting set to 20. Bootet into windows correctly and launched CPU-Z. Now the overclock is fluctuating, at one moment it read 3.440 ghz and after a couple of second it goes automacilly down to somewhat like 1.2Ghz. Besides I haven't tested stability yet. Temps are somewhat around mid-40's with a vcore of ~1.328 V

The fluctuation is speedstep knocking the clock multiplier down when idle, it's to be expected and it saves you energy when you don't actually need the cpu power. It's a good thing, and my personal advice is to leave speedstep enabled.

Deleted member 88651

D

Deleted member 88651

OP
Thanks for explaining that Hazardo. Indeed now that i'm running Prime and CPU is constantly loaded CPU-z keeps reading 3.44Ghz as it should. I have to more questions if anyone might answer :

a) Why did ddr-1720 on dram frequency did not work?
b) Are temps acceptable within that range (mid 40's) ?
(Please do excuse my newbieness)

Thanks for your input

Soldato
Thanks for explaining that Hazardo. Indeed now that i'm running Prime and CPU is constantly loaded CPU-z keeps reading 3.44Ghz as it should. I have to more questions if anyone might answer :

a) Why did ddr-1720 on dram frequency did not work?
b) Are temps acceptable within that range (mid 40's) ?
(Please do excuse my newbieness)

Thanks for your input

The memory controller is on the CPU, running the faster speed may have been causing it to hit it's TDP or just fail (of course there's also the posibility that the RAM isn't up to 1720).

As far as temps go, it's the load temp you really want to worry about, it shouldn't be much over 80C on an overclocked i7 or i5 running at full pelt for a period of at least 1/2 an hour. You can test load temps for the CPU by running prime and checking the temps with realtemp.

Deleted member 88651

D

Deleted member 88651

OP
Changed Dram Frequency to 1600Mhz, 200FSB and multiplier of 19 managed to get stable up to 3.8Ghz. The system is at times stable at times not, even if it surpasses intel burn tests. What i mean is that ram is sometimes detected at 4 gig and sometimes at 2, randomly after a reboot or the memory is not detected at all during POST (all this in a random fashion) .

It passed my mind to test memory slots one at a go. So took off one chip and stuck the other on the A1 Dimm slot. Rebooted a dozen of times, surpussed intel tests and everything and the problem seemed to have gone. Than i plugged in the other memory stick instead of the first, again in A1 Dimm slot. I managed to boot windows about two times, after the third restart same problem again. Memory indicator flashes red at times, then i hit reset button and everything's ok again, i boot into windows give it a couple of tests with stable results, i reboot everything's ok once more, reboot again and the problem reappears. May it be the case of defective memory ?

Back
Top Bottom